•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 18 years ago
Pakistan's Youhana embraces Islam

Yousuf Youhana
Youhana was the only Christian on the Pakistan team
Pakistani cricket star Yousuf Youhana says he has converted to Islam from Christianity after attending preaching sessions by a leading religious group.

Youhana, who now calls himself Mohammed Yousuf and was the only Christian in the team, says his wife also converted with him about three months ago.

But he says they did not make their decision public for family reasons.

Reports in Pakistan say his parents are furious while Yousuf says he wants the rest of his family to convert too.

"I don't want to give Yousuf my name after what he has done," his mother was quoted as saying by the Daily Times newspaper.

"We came to know about his decision when he offered Friday Prayers at a local mosque. It was a shock," his mother was reported as saying.

I cannot tell you what a great feeling it is
Yousuf Youhana

He moved out of his parents' house when they came to know about his decision but has since moved back.

A Pakistani television channel showed him offering prayers along with other members of the Pakistan cricket team including skipper Inzamam ul Haq.

Life 'ruined'

Mohammed Yousuf's mother says she had been worried about her son's behaviour for a long time.

She blamed the brother of a former Pakistan cricket player, Saeed Anwar, for "ruining my son's life," according to the Daily Times.

Saeed Anwar and his brother have become Muslim preachers who preach from the platform of Tablighi Jamaat - Pakistan's largest non-political religious grouping.

Yousuf confirmed that he was a regular at the preaching sessions held by the Tablighi Jamaat.

But he told journalists that he had converted of his own free will and there was no pressure on him to do so.

"I cannot tell you what a great feeling it is," he told the BBC.

Officials in the Pakistan cricket board say members of the Tablighi Jamaat have been visiting the board's offices and training camps regularly over the last several years.

Most of the team members have become overtly religious over the last few years, the official said.

bbc.com

Good for him...i really like Yousaf Youhana not only he is a good player but he is a a very good human too..i've never heard his name in any controversy..Allah has blessed him by showing the right path...i m glad that he didnt convert because of pressure but because he believed in it.

Thanx for sharing Maha

Edited by kewlsarah - 18 years ago
yes u r true sarah
we r all with him its so good decision 4 him but he will face many prob from medai and family we should pray 4 him 😊 😃
yeah Mashal he might face some problems from his family n they might put some pressure on him too...as far as media n other ppl r concerned i dont think that ppl should interfere with the decision he has made 'coz thats his personal life n he is mature adult no one would take such a step without believing in something...in my opinion no one should have a problem with his conversion 'coz no one has a rite to do so...but since he is a celebrity ppl from christian community might raise fingers on him..
I heard that there is much controversy regarding his conversion... I saw his interview where pakistani people were saying that he converted just so that he could captain the pakistani side or for some professional reasons... Discouraging someone who has taken such a great step is just aweful... MahsaAllah, this is a great step taken by him and his wife and may Allah bless him and guide him through this difficult time...
yayyyyyyyyyyyyy yarr tht's an awsome news i m so happy i also think that he made a good decision i m sooooo happy oh ya 4got to say thnxs Maha 4 sheinf that good news

Eman
all pakistani playerz r gr8 i luv our team
Subhanallah!!
i am so happy for him.."May Allah show the right path to his family also.."
Good for him
May Allah help him in parents relationship coz at the end of day they r his parents n he'll defifntely want to meet them,

Huh!!!!!! Very old new'zzzzzzzz
Coz whem he was on India tour he embrassed Islam that time........
Welll!
But diz iz too God
But his moter and Father r still Christain 😕