Debate Mansion

India-Forums

Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

Are main protagonists always favourites? (Page 2)

Gauri_3 IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 21 May 2008 at 8:54am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

Naughty_n_nice IF-Rockerz
Naughty_n_nice
Naughty_n_nice

Posted: 24 May 2008 at 11:54am | IP Logged

Hehe!!!

Ya!!! Completely true!!! And it's also true that except it's someone like Hrithik, those dancers are some 10 times better than the actors ROFL They're just dancing slightly less most of the time to make those actors look good =)
souro Moderator
souro
souro

Posted: 24 May 2008 at 11:42pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by Gauri_3

Slightly off topic but felt like sharing with y'all Big smile

My brother once pointed out that during a bollywood song and dance routine, focus on the side kicks than the main actors. Well, it does guarantee some laughs LOL Agreed most of the side kicks are actually dancing better than the stars but some have that plastered smile and that desperation ki shayad iss dance mein woh notice ho jaye toh aglee fillum as a hero/heroine pakki LOL LOL Try paying attention to the extras next time you come across a bollywood song and dance number. It's lot more fun than watching the stars LOL

That's not always true. Of course if someone from them gets an offer for a film most of the chances are s/he will accept it, but most of the times especially nowadays the dancers are professional dancers from some of the famous troupes in the city. They don't go there to become a film star, they go there to give a good performance. Most of the chances are their dance company will try to tie up with some of the stars or musician or some entertainment house so that whenever they undertake some world tour or something like that, they'll be the one performing along with them (that's not to say that they don't perform abroad on their own).

What you said holds true more for the extras while acting. They are really fun to watch if someone actually focuses on them. Especially when they have to do some movement or some small stuff but no dialogue.

IdeaQueen IF-Dazzler
IdeaQueen
IdeaQueen

Posted: 25 May 2008 at 4:56am | IP Logged
Originally posted by qwertyesque

Originally posted by Naughty_n_nice

@Madmadgirl: ROFL LOL What an analysis!!! LOL

@Qwertyesque: Well, i agree, that it's the "main guy" who drives the point... But very often, the bad guy's just as important! True, they can't be "liked". But why are they never even appreciated?

Like, for example, there's the new book series Twilight. There's the charming handsome and extremely understanding Edward Cullen (The whole WORLD loves him i think)... And there's Jacob. He's done absolutely NOTHING bad. He's almost a perfect role model. But he likes the same girl that our hero Cullen likes. Result? People hate him, why though? He's not the "main" guy there, he's not bad either! (yet) If liking is too much to ask, why not some appreciation at least? Embarrassed

See we all look up to some ideals.. and positive at that... so its always common to look up to the hero and identify than look up to the anti-hero.. If you read the ramayana....its always about the good v/s the evil...people worship Ram although he is not a brahmin and Ravana is shown as a brahmin and still people consider him evil.. What Rama has achieved by being born as God, Ravana has achieved throuhgh his effort.. its quite different...And yet hanuman, who is not the protagonist is appreciated and worshipped!!! so is vibhishan is appreciated.. think about it this way..

regarding appreciation.. of course I dont think people dont appreciate these guys!!!! there are lot of those...sorry i am literarily and fictionally dead so I dont know the characters u mentioned but taking an analogy...circuit got the appreciation thouhg munna bhai was the protagonist....God Father mentioned above has Michael as the positive character..the protagonist has to be positive otherwise it doesnt sustain...even the bad with circumstantial reasons though negative has positive shades.. for eg.. Amitabh in Deewar...etc...

in anything the world revolves round the protagonist... look around you - there is some hero... who is acting the protagonist..

Wah !! Wah!! Well said Qwerty jiClap

*Ajju* IF-Dazzler
*Ajju*
*Ajju*

Posted: 27 May 2008 at 7:59pm | IP Logged

Hey guys,

Just something i felt while looking at certain discussions... When we read books, or watch movies, plays, etc... Is it always the main protagonist who is the favourite of most people? Or do you pick favourite characters even among the "bad" ones? For example, I love the Harry Potter series, but i don't have any liking for Harry Potter the character at all...

Why is that we always have a majority of people who like ShahRukh Khan, Amitab Bacchan, Hrithik and Amir Khan... But you'd never really find many Amrish Puri, Anupam Kher or Amjab Khan fans now would we?

Why so? Why do you feel that it's always the "main" characters who get all the popularity, even though the negative characters might have acted twice as good? (Or in the case of books, the negative characters who are much more interesting and charming, yet never really liked...)

-Sam

My first post in debate mansion so I guess I need to be careful with words :) Anyway back to the topic , I think in any movie or book there has to be a main protagonist with whom people can relate them self so the writer /author /screen writer makes sure the main character at least have few dimension to get popular with Majority and if it doesn't happen then the movie or book won't work .

Sometimes the main protagonist might be close to reality or some times its just fictional or may be larger than life kinda of .People still relate to or like characters which are far from real world because may be they dream of someone like that qualities or they dream of doing all the stuff the protagonist is doing
   Personally I like multi dimensional characters and may be thats why I like Akshay Kumar in most of movies bcoz most of the times his character has multi dimensions .Tell me how many will like Characters played by Tushar Kapoor in Muze kuch or Tushar Kapoor in Khaki? There might be few but not too many ....
  There are so many movies and books where my fav was not main character or so called protagonist like Sidharth in Rang De ....and there are few like Srk in Darr , Abhishek in Yuva , Vivek in Shootout at Lokhandawala , Saif in Omkara ..I mean they had little darker side otherwise they all are fascinating characters ...
    Well its geting too big so let me stopTongue
qwertyesque IF-Rockerz
qwertyesque
qwertyesque

Posted: 27 May 2008 at 8:03pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by mythili_Kiran

Originally posted by qwertyesque

@Madmadgirl: ROFL LOL What an analysis!!! LOL

@Qwertyesque: Well, i agree, that it's the "main guy" who drives the point... But very often, the bad guy's just as important! True, they can't be "liked". But why are they never even appreciated?

Like, for example, there's the new book series Twilight. There's the charming handsome and extremely understanding Edward Cullen (The whole WORLD loves him i think)... And there's Jacob. He's done absolutely NOTHING bad. He's almost a perfect role model. But he likes the same girl that our hero Cullen likes. Result? People hate him, why though? He's not the "main" guy there, he's not bad either! (yet) If liking is too much to ask, why not some appreciation at least? Embarrassed

See we all look up to some ideals.. and positive at that... so its always common to look up to the hero and identify than look up to the anti-hero.. If you read the ramayana....its always about the good v/s the evil...people worship Ram although he is not a brahmin and Ravana is shown as a brahmin and still people consider him evil.. What Rama has achieved by being born as God, Ravana has achieved throuhgh his effort.. its quite different...And yet hanuman, who is not the protagonist is appreciated and worshipped!!! so is vibhishan is appreciated.. think about it this way..

regarding appreciation.. of course I dont think people dont appreciate these guys!!!! there are lot of those...sorry i am literarily and fictionally dead so I dont know the characters u mentioned but taking an analogy...circuit got the appreciation thouhg munna bhai was the protagonist....God Father mentioned above has Michael as the positive character..the protagonist has to be positive otherwise it doesnt sustain...even the bad with circumstantial reasons though negative has positive shades.. for eg.. Amitabh in Deewar...etc...

in anything the world revolves round the protagonist... look around you - there is some hero... who is acting the protagonist..

Wah !! Wah!! Well said Qwerty jiClap

thanks Myth..Smile

MrsAckles Goldie
MrsAckles
MrsAckles

Posted: 28 May 2008 at 6:40am | IP Logged
a lot of times i root for the antagonists because the protagonists are too preachy ... too boooooring.. too self righteous .. too corny... too annoying.. too girly

Bad Boys *drool*
qwertyesque IF-Rockerz
qwertyesque
qwertyesque

Posted: 28 May 2008 at 7:09am | IP Logged

Originally posted by MrsAckles

a lot of times i root for the antagonists because the protagonists are too preachy ... too boooooring.. too self righteous .. too corny... too annoying.. too girly

Bad Boys *drool*

sure... but when it comes to marrying - its always the protagonist in demand.. after all who likes a hubby who eye's all the wives in teh neighborhood... would you still drool....now?LOL

Go to top