Page 2 Page 3

Maha21

IF-Veteran Member

Maha21

Sony Channel

Posted: 23 September 2005 at 8:50am | IP Logged
                                Roy rocks
By Erica Ahmed

After waiting three long years for another album by pop sensation Shehzad Roy, Buri Baat Hai is no disappointment. With two songs so far on video, Saali and Hum Ek Hain, the promise of more videos to come fills with anticipation the ears, eyes and, perhaps most of all, one's sense of humour.

In both song and video form, Saali has been one of the season's biggest pop hits. "I have always heard the term saali, and for some reason I just like the word," explains Shehzad. "It's a cultural term and I wanted to play around with it in song." Since the release of Saali's video, the song's popularity has generated a bit of controversy as well. So many young people have been singing the song's lyrics that they were inevitably overheard and misinterpreted. "A few people thought that kids were singing an abusive word that sounds similar to Saali, but that has nothing to do with my song. Saali means one's wife's sister in Urdu, it is a relationship that is part of our culture and that's what I am talking about in my song."

In both song and video form, 'Saali' has been one of the season's biggest pop hits. 'I have always heard the term saali, and for some reason I just like the word. It's a cultural term and I wanted to play around with it in song,' says Shehzad Roy

A deep regard for Pakistan's culture runs through much of Shehzad's music. Buri Baat Hai's other hit, Hum Ek Hain is born of Shehzad's deep appreciation for all things Pakistani. "It's a patriotic song," Shehzad says, "though not one that is filled with bland praise for Pakistan. It acknowledges the problems we face but says that we have the strength to overcome them together." Shehzad admits to being very patriotic, a sentiment which he says profoundly influences his work. The video for Hum Ek Hain stars the Pakistan national cricket team with Imran Khan playing a major role. "The song is supposed to represent Pakistan, and I can't think of a better ambassador than Imran Khan," says Shehzad about the choice to include the cricket star in his video. "He is also a close friend who offered me a lot of support in founding the Zindagi Trust which brings working children back to school."

The video highlights major monuments and landmarks in Pakistan, with the cricketers joking and laughing around them. The original take of the video was serious and subdued, but was later revamped into a playful style. The meaning of the piece is still serious, though easier to digest in this entertaining format.

The Saali video is even more lighthearted, with Shehzad playing a lead role in the pantomime of the relationship between a man and his wife's sister. Shehzad has never done any acting before, "and certainly not such goofy acting," he says. And the video has been a huge success, "When I went to England after the video's release, Meena Chaudry complimented me on my acting. She asked me to act in a film with her sometime. I would never do it, though I enjoyed acting in the Saali video." Shehzad says he would consider contributing his songs to films, however, provided the meaning was kept the same.

The next Shehzad Roy song to be made into video will be Aankhain, Buri Baat Hai's second track, which Shehzad says is also a personal favourite. "The piece is very focused on the guitar, and I like that a lot," Shehzad explains, "I was really able to work with the sound of the guitar and was happy with the sound that came out." The sweet and romantic lyrics add to this piece's charm.

Though fans may have been frustrated waiting so long for the release of Buri Baat Hai, the time lapse was with good reason. Shehzad has dedicated the last three years to building up Zindagi Trust, the NGO which springs from his passion for helping impoverished and uneducated children. "I feel so sad when I see some child working, or on the streets, not going to school. The Trust is my best effort to do something about that." The programme has 25 schools across the country and uses unique teaching methods along with incentives to entice children to attend. If children pass daily assessments, they are rewarded Rs20. "Some people say its wrong to bribe children to be in school," says Shehzad, "but well-off kids are rewarded for their marks all the time. There is no reason poor children should not have the same support."

Shehzad uses the proceeds from his concerts to support Zindagi Trust, but has been spending his time making the organization more self-sufficient. For his efforts, Shehzad was awarded the prestigious Tamgha-i-Imtiaz, the youngest person and only pop singer to ever be granted this presidential recognition of efforts to help the suffering sections of society.

Though he remains dedicated to this cause, Shehzad promises that we won't have to wait another three years for the next CD. "I'll be making videos of more songs from Buri Baat Hai, and am already thinking about my next album as well." Shehzad's newest album is still fresh and new, with plenty of tracks to please a range of rhythmical and lyrical tastes. And, for those seeking an even broader stroke, The Best of Shehzad Roy offers a sampling of his classics, along with an interview and moving documentary about Zindagi Trust.

With his full lips that make female fans swoon, clever songs and a moving commitment to a cause, Shehzad Roy is one of the most exciting people on Pakistan's entertainment scene.

http://www.dawn.com/weekly/images/images2.htm

Edited by Ms. Bholi Bhali - 26 September 2005 at 12:59am

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Shahzad Roy’s New Album" in Pakistani Serials forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

sadaf18

sadaf18

Posted: 23 September 2005 at 9:01am | IP Logged
thanks maha!!

Ms. Bholi Bhali

IF-Sizzlerz

Ms. Bholi Bhali

-

Posted: 23 September 2005 at 9:02am | IP Logged
uff, too much Make up!!!

I will read the article, later. abhi I was horrified, after looking at the pics

saarahkhann

IF-Dazzler

saarahkhann

Posted: 23 September 2005 at 10:42am | IP Logged
i dont understand y they have to put soo much make up on guys that it starts to look weird??..in any case i really like shahzad roy..he is a very good singer n i started to like him even more after he made that Zindagi Trust..he is using his popularity for a good reason Clap...abt his album i havent heard it yet so cant say anything but i m sure that its good n it will b a hit Smile ..Thanx for sharing the article Maha

Edited by kewlsarah - 23 September 2005 at 10:47am

Ms. Bholi Bhali

IF-Sizzlerz

Ms. Bholi Bhali

-

Posted: 23 September 2005 at 10:46am | IP Logged
ya I know. I am his fan from his very first song. he has a unique style and awaaz

I heard it. its really nice. combination of all kinds of songs. infact, I am listening to it. right now.

very good. Clap

saarahkhann

IF-Dazzler

saarahkhann

Posted: 23 September 2005 at 10:49am | IP Logged
hey saba is there any website where i can listen to latest pakistani pop songs????

Ms. Bholi Bhali

IF-Sizzlerz

Ms. Bholi Bhali

-

Posted: 23 September 2005 at 12:00pm | IP Logged
yup there are many, but the best one is
www.muziq.net

enjoy

all this songs are on top ten

~LiL*PrInCeZ~

IF-Sizzlerz

~LiL*PrInCeZ~

--

Posted: 23 September 2005 at 2:22pm | IP Logged
OMGGGGGG

shahzad to makeup main dubba wah hai........ewwww

yea i didnt read the article either...pix dek ker bohot kharab lagga..............i was am and will b his fan but y duz he need makeup? Dead

Post Reply New Post

Go to top