Grit, grime, great guerilla stuff!

Posted On Saturday, June 07, 2008

Mayank Shekhar

A still from Aamir

AAMIR

DIRECTOR: Raj Kumar Gupta
ACTORS: Rajeev Khandelwal
RANKING: * * *

Gupta, the evidently gifted debutant director, says in an interview to Time Out's Leo Mirani that his film has nothing to do with Cavite. It's apparently a mere coincidence that the premise, plot and the genre of the two are entirely similar. I find it odd then that the director says he's credited in the first frame a film he hasn't seen!

Few outside Philippines and some film festivals may have heard of the said Neill Dela Llana and Ian Gamazon's indie-flick (2005). In Mumbai, the first DVD-rental I checked (Shemaroo on Napeansea Road) didn't have a copy; the second (Movie Time in Bandra) did. At least we must credit the makers of this film for digging out an inaccessible source before setting out to brilliantly indigenise the subject.

Aamir (Khandelwal), a young doctor in the UK, lands in Mumbai. He wonders at the beginning if destiny is handwritten. He is harassed at the airport-entry by a customs official. His name has something to do with it. Was it Amar, as he rightly says, the treatment would've been different. On this city's streets though, whether you're Amar or Aamir on the backseat, the cabbies never know the direction to any place. He gets off one and hails another to Dongri. The protagonist is in urgent hurry. A voice from a cellphone handed to him at the airport has been guiding him from the start. He is directed to several other innards of South Bombay, best known for the city's Muslim ghettos.

Aamir's family has essentially been abducted. The voice on the phone is the captor's: a crack-head of an Islamic terror-group. The lead character need obey all instructions, for fear of losing his loved ones. Clearly the motive of the abductors is a lot beyond money. We follow the suited doc then across the gutters and garbage of Mohammed Ali Road, Nagpada, Bhendi Bazaar etc. These are portions of the affluent Island City that we've chosen to build over a JJ flyover, and keep our eyes away; conditions that needn't then affect our dead consciences daily. It's strangely cathartic to watch it bare on the big-screen, and closely observe for ourselves where we live.

The abductor sends Aamir off on a gutter-trail firstly so he can learn the state of the 'qom' (or community) he's left behind for a life of a deracinated, urban, middle and upper-class individualist. The hero is rational enough to know terrorism is no solution still. He has a heinous task at hand, and a choice to make at the end of the film (which you may, or may not agree with).

The grit, grime, gore that comes with guerilla filmmaking of this sort is immediately captivating. For once a film has been put together in the heat of real locations than the unnecessary technical wizardry of a cold edit suite. The intended pace of such a thriller is usually easy to go overboard on. This one doesn't. Here, the director need share applause with his leading man.

I don't watch soaps. I'd only heard of Khandelwal from excited colleagues who'd plaster his face on top of TV pages, for a character called Sujal on Kahiin To Hoga (if I've spelt it right).

It was a pleasant surprise to watch this rare actor as sincere in his performance as the film is carefully restrained in its narrative. I had to immediately rush after to watch Cavite as well. This is the best compliment to pay an exceptionally crackling (intended or unintended) adaptation. You should consider catching this one for sure.

Link:

http://www.mumbaimirror.com/net/mmpaper.aspx?page=article&am p;sectid=30&contentid=200806072008060702555838d32cbc5c

SecretKhabri420 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 9
Posted: 15 years ago

Hi friends,

Here is an article where Rajeev's debut film (Aamir) is mentioned 😳

Sarkar Raj in Thackeray home

Author: Subhash K Jha Date: 06 Jun 2008

RGV plans to hold a trial at Matoshree

Had to go! Ram Gopal Varma
Ram Gopal Varma who is in Bangkok to attend the premiere of Sarkar Raj is puzzled by reports back home that he refused to show the Sarkar sequel to the Thackerays.

"That's totally untrue. We had the first and so far only screening of the film on Sunday for those closely associated with Sarkar Raj. We'd have loved to have Balasaheb come for the show. Unfortunately, his health didn't permit him to make that visit for the film. We're now arranging a screening of Sarkar Raj in Balasaheb's home."

Ramu's first time

The screening would be scheduled for any time after Ramu and the Bachchans return from IIFA and is expected to be attended by the director and members of the cast. In the meanwhile, Ramu is attending his first-ever film awards ceremony at IIFA. "It's true that I don't attend film awards.

Never have, never will again. I'm here at Bangkok only for the premiere of my film there on Friday. After that, I'm returning home. Let me make it very clear that I'm not going to attend the awards part of the event at all.

Actually, given a choice I wouldn't come. But my film is being premiered and it'd look odd if I'm not here."
What does he feel about Aamir which is out the same Friday as Sarkar Raj?

Why the expectations?

Says Ramu, "Quite honestly, I haven't seen any of the promos of Aamir. If as you say, it's similar in intention and mood; all I can say is, I wish the film all the luck. I don't know why so much expectation is being built around Sarkar Raj. I've worked as hard on this film as I have on any other."

The Bachchans are expected to join Ramu for the premiere of Sarkar Raj in Bangkok on Friday morning.

Link:

http://www.mid-day.com/web/guest/entertainment/bollywood/art icle?_EXT_5_articleId=1166946&_EXT_5_groupId=14

nram thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Thanx for the articles dii...Ramu Bhai should have seen promos of Aamir (He has been under estimating competition I see) πŸ˜‰

Hi friends,

Watch the premiere of Aamir from indiafm.com

Vivek Vaswani who gave SRK his break in ''Raju Bangaya Gentelman'' and very good friend of SRK, said 16 years back the TV gave us from Faujii SRK and now it's Rajeev....

Link:

http://www.bollywoodhungama.com/broadband/video/Parties-and- Events/OCXhB685/3/Premiere-Of-Aamir.html

Edited by farislove - 15 years ago
nram thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: farislove

Hi friends,

Watch the premiere of Aamir from indiafm.com

Vivek Vaswani who gave SRK his break in ''Raju Bangaya Gentelman'' and very good friend of SRK, said 16 years back the TV gave us from Faujii SRK and now it's Rajeev....

Link:

http://www.bollywoodhungama.com/broadband/video/Parties-and- Events/OCXhB685/3/Premiere-Of-Aamir.html

Thanx for the link di...saw it a short while ago...RK ow graduates from SRK of small screen to Rajeev Khandelwal of big screenπŸ‘

TheRowdiest thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
awwwwwwww zee grtttt thanx a lot for this vid yaar πŸ˜ƒ

Hi friends,

Rajeev is mentioned in the article below....

Long list of newcomers knocking on Bollywood's door!

New Delhi, June 1 (IANS) It is raining newcomers with the list of wannabe cine stars growing by the day. After the likes of Mimoh Chakraborty and Sikander Kher, ready to bow in Bollywood this summer are Harman Baweja, Imran Khan, and Amita Pathak.

While as many as three actors opened their innings on Bollywood Boulevard this Friday, the most significant debut was of Sikander, son of versatile and acclaimed actors Anupam and Kiron. Critics have given his acting prowess the thumbs up in "Woodstock Villa" that released Friday.

Sikander, who has been working in the industry since the age of 15, has also gone for acting workshops to hone his acting skills.

A clear pointer that the industry is short of saleable stars and is flush with cash is that Sikander already has another film completed and ready for release. His next is "Summer 2007" by director Suhail Tatari that is likely to hit the silver screen in mid-June. The film also stars Gul Panag, Ashutosh Rana and Sachin Khedekar, among others.

Ditto for Sikander's "Woodstock Villa" co-star Neha Oberoi, who also debuts in the film (she had a small part in "Dus Kahaniyaan"). Neha, who is related to director Sanjay Gupta, will soon be seen in a film starring Sanjay Dutt called "Easy Monthly Instalment (EMI)".

The third newcomer this week is Nisha Rawal who debuted with "Hastey Hastey" opposite Jimmy Shergill. Nisha also has two other small budget Hindi films in her kitty. Another new face in the film is Monishka who has a bit role.

The month ahead will be witnessing one debut each week on an average till the much-hyped silver screen clash of Harman and Imraan.

The star-cast for movies waiting in the wings for release include famous surnames, former models and some small screen stars aspiring to graduate to the big screen. For an industry where for a very long time producers could not imagine making a film that did not have one of the three Khans and debuts were far in between, the deluge of newcomers is a welcome change.

Coming up next week itself, is "Aamir" which introduces TV star Rajiv Khandelwal. The film has a serious overtone and ample opportunities for the newcomer to showcase his talent.

Among multiplex crowds, however, it is the legendary Kamaal Amrohi's grandson Mashhoor Amrohi who is creating a flutter. He is probably the only one to have written his own debut film.

"Humsey Hai Jahaan", tentatively slated for release on June 6, features Mashhoor in the lead role and interestingly he has scripted the film as well. Vishakha Singh is the other new face who will be seen in the film.

Veteran Mithun Chakraborthy will return to Hindi film circuit after a long gap with a tentative mid-June release of "Zindagi Tere Naam". The film has three newcomers - Priyanka Mehta, Aseem Ali Khan and Aashish - though there is hardly any noise about them.

Mid-June is also likely to see the release of "Good Luck" that introduces Raajveer and Naazneen Patel with Ranveer Shorey and Lucky Ali. Directed by Aditya Datt, the film also stars Aryeman, Sayali Bhagat and Archana Puran Singh.

The much-delayed "Khushboo" will also feature two newcomers - Rishi Rehan and Avantikka - and "Haal-e-Dil" will introduce Amita Pathak, Nakuul Mehta and Adhyayan Suman.

The biggest clash, however, will be July 4 when two newcomers Harman Baweja and Imran Khan will take the bow on the silver screen with "Love Story 2050" and "Jaane Tu...Ya Jaane Na", respectively.

While Harman is the son of well-known filmmaker Harry Baweja and the hype around him is already reaching crescendo, Imran is superstar Aamir Khan's nephew. Aamir, who has produced "Jaane Tu...", is going all out to promote his nephew.

Even as marketers and brand-builders match their wits against each other to ensure good launch pads for both, for audiences, it is more the merrier.

Link:

http://www.bollywood.com/long-list-newcomers-knocking-bollyw oods-door

yazh thumbnail

Could not sleep guys, logged on at 3 in the morning, and went through all the articles and reviews.

AAMIR, will disturb u for life, very difficult to come out of this mode.

You go the theatre expecting the unexpected, the promo was after all just the teaser, but what u get to see is something beyond ur wildest expectations.

He is Aamir. Stripped of anything and everything artificial. A display of extreme raw emotions on an extreme raw and rustic face.

A new kind of acting, subtle yet powerful. How did he do it!!!

Knew the reviews will be good, but happy to hear about the BO verdict too.

Thanks a lot for all the articles and pics and videos.

Edited by yazh - 15 years ago

Originally posted by: yazh

Could not sleep guys, logged on at 3 in the morning, and went through all the articles and reviews.

AAMIR, will disturb u for life, very difficult to come out of this mode.

You go the theatre expecting the unexpected, the promo was after all just the teaser, but what u get to see is something beyond ur wildest expectations.

He is Aamir. Stripped of anything and everything artificial. A display of extreme raw emotions on an extreme raw and rustic face.

A new kind of acting, subtle yet powerful. How did he do it!!!

Knew the reviews will be good, but happy to hear about the BO verdict too.

Thanks a lot for all the articles and pics and videos.

Rajeev is a king on portraying emotions MASHALLAH 😳, I really feel on every second and live the scene when he acts MASHALLAH....

It feels like a natural and real scene, coz he is a natural actor MASHALLAH 😳

I haven't seen ''Aamir'' yet, as it released only in India, in some selected cities, imagin only in selected citties in India and these wonderful reviews, if it's whole India and world wide, then what it would happen INSHALLAH?!!? πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜³

yazh thumbnail
Zee, i think about all u guys who are unable to experince the magic, hope UTV sees all the reviews and brings out more prints and releases worldwide.

How nice it would be to discuss each and every scene.

Not every minute but every single nano second counts, it is awesome. Every emotion is different and unique. Top notch actors can learn from him. But then u can't learn all this, it has to come from within. Nothing methodical, straight from the heart.

We heard about the aam aadmi so much, but it is actually the aam aadmi we get to see.

As I said earlier it is the chemistry between this aam aadmi on the screen and us in our seats that will create a flutter. He just connects!!!

Edited by yazh - 15 years ago