Page 2 Page 2

Ms. Bholi Bhali

IF-Sizzlerz

Ms. Bholi Bhali

-

Posted: 22 September 2005 at 11:20pm | IP Logged
Aaroh

A look into what the up-and-coming band Aaroh will be offering:

Two bands emerged to the forefront at the Pepsi Battle Of The Bands. One of them was EP, the runner up, and the other was the winner, Aaroh. Pepsi offered the band an album, a video and concerts. Ever since their remarkable debut at the Battle Of The Bands and their success after winning the Pepsi sponsored contest, Aaroh has been working hard and has been performing at various venues around Karachi, but has not released an album as yet.

Aaroh was formed when Nabeel came back from the US in '98 and wanted to start working in collaboration with someone. Luckily he found a like-minded musician in Kamran Khan. When Farooq joined as singer the concept of Aaroh began to form. Makeshift bassists and drummers came and left until finally they got hold of Jason, a senior drummer and Khalid Mustafa on bass. Khalid has performed with a number of artists including Najam, Karavan and Schehzad Mughul. Nabeel has been around for sometime now, taking the route most guitarists take before starting something of their own. He has played sessions for the likes of Schehzad Mughul and Junaid Jamshed.

Farooq has an unreleased solo album under his belt. "It's good but it's not Aaroh!" he says about it. Kamran has been working with Junaid Jamshed and the production credits go to him as well.

Before Aaroh was formed Nabeel had secured himself two record deals for an instrumental album that he was working on. "That was a little while before the Battle Of The Bands. When I met Farooq I thought that we should try this Battle Of The Bands, the big shebang; we all know what happened there. We were as shocked as our friends. We didn't expect to clinch it. I mean we were hoping for a good showing. It went way beyond expectation that's for sure."

Aaroh, the name is derived from the word 'aarohi' which in musical terms means 'to ascend.' Shoaib Mansoor conceived the name and the guys loved it.

Whether the band ascends or descends remains to be seen as their album has yet to hit the market. The album, is a power ballad album the likes of which has yet to be seen in Pakistan. Each track is peppered with thunderous guitar riffs and monster solos. The drums on the entire album are basically loops and sequenced since live drum recording is almost non-existent.

What was the need for such a power driven album? "We wanted a sound on the album that was compatible with the way we think our music should sound. The album is highly experimental with a lot of guitar work, not to mention the highly talented vocal input of Farooq," says Nabeel who comes across as the most vocal member of the band. Experimentation is what drove Fuzon to create their mega selling album Sagar but one wonders if the same formula will work again. "Some of our songs that we've put forth to a live audience have been greatly appreciated. So I guess we will have to wait and hope that our album makes a lasting impression."

A few of the tracks are very exciting and differently done. 'Sawal' is one of them, their hit single which is a favourite with the crowds. Although the band has received a lot of attention for their stunning cover of 'Tu Hai Kahan' they have proved that their own material is as hummable. 'Aag Ki Tarha' got a lot of flak from people saying that it was a Duran Duran rip-off and I mentioned this fact to the guys. Farooq said that the song might have the same progressions as 'Ordinary World' by Duran Duran but it was not an Anu Malik style inspiration. It was an experiment, which turned out like Ordinary World.

Some of the other tracks like 'Jalan', 'Dil Ki Baatain' and 'Na Kaho' (the titles are yet to be finalized) are power ballads. With a solid guitar album in the making, Aaroh is creative and unlike any other band that I've come across so far. You could classify them as a solid rock act, straying far from the alternative touch that gives noori their appeal.

According to Nabeel he was "tired of playing sessions for other artists" and felt that he wasn't getting around to doing what he "wanted to do." Aaroh is where he can run riot with his ideas and really do whatever he wants!

When it comes to the vocals, Nabeel thinks they are quite strong. "Farooq loves the sound and so do the rest of the members. It is loud but I think Farooq has done a sterling job adding his eastern touch to the record."

There are some people in the industry who think Aaroh would've enjoyed similar success as noori if they had released their album a little while after their success at the Battle Of The Bands, since the wave was high. At that point in time, Aaroh didn't have enough material to bring out an album. They were mostly a covers band, covering the likes of U2, Pearl Jam and Metallica.

A serious live band, they've been turning down offers, which had anything to do with DAT. "There is no point in doing that. I mean how can you call that a performance? It's more on the lines of acting. We know we are capable of playing live and that is the only way to get the audience involved," Farooq says self assuredly. A valid point no doubt! Whether Aaroh soars to the heights of success remains to be seen come April and the release of their anticipated album.

Nabeel Nihal Chishty is the guitar player in this outfit and the producer of the album.

Farooq Ahmed is the vocalist
Khalid Mustafa is the Bass player
Kamran Khan Keyboard is the keyboard player
Jason is on drums.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Latest Interview with Aaroh!!!!" in Pakistani Serials forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

samie

IF-Veteran Member

samie

Posted: 23 September 2005 at 8:08am | IP Logged
thanx bholi 4 sharin th@ Smile

Maha21

IF-Veteran Member

Maha21

Sony Channel

Posted: 23 September 2005 at 8:45am | IP Logged
Thanks Saba for sharing the article... I had no idea before reading this article that this band existed...

Ms. Bholi Bhali

IF-Sizzlerz

Ms. Bholi Bhali

-

Posted: 23 September 2005 at 8:59am | IP Logged
u welcome Maha and Samie

really, you didn't know?
they have good songs.

their concepts are very unique. kafi haath kar hain

saarahkhann

IF-Dazzler

saarahkhann

Posted: 23 September 2005 at 10:54am | IP Logged

Originally posted by Maha21

Thanks Saba for sharing the article... I had no idea before reading this article that this band existed...

yeah same here i had no idea abt this band...but thanx for letting us know Saba Smile

~LiL*PrInCeZ~

IF-Sizzlerz

~LiL*PrInCeZ~

--

Posted: 23 September 2005 at 2:23pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by kewlsarah

Originally posted by Maha21

yeah same here i had no idea abt this band...but thanx for letting us know Saba Smile

i 2nd...i mean 3rd that

thanx 4 enlightening us saba madam

TD.FAN

Goldie

TD.FAN

Posted: 23 September 2005 at 2:36pm | IP Logged
thanks

Ms. Bholi Bhali

IF-Sizzlerz

Ms. Bholi Bhali

-

Posted: 23 September 2005 at 2:39pm | IP Logged