Debate Mansion

India-Forums

Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

Are foreigner's due for favors ? (Page 3)

Gauri_3 IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 18 May 2008 at 6:57am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

corvette IF-Rockerz
corvette
corvette

Posted: 20 May 2008 at 7:16am | IP Logged
I have a two fold problem with this......not good! LOL

First, guests being treated like God I dont agree with.

It's a false pretense and as soon as "God" leaves your house, the host usually say something crap about the guest!

If there is anything about us Indian SubContinentals that comes easy to us, it is definitely pretense.

Secondly, the other problem I have is while the men happy entertaining "God" they have no problem shunting their women folk into the kitchens to slave over God and his angels, relatives and/or friends that may also be in attendance.

No thought will have been given to the fact that the shopping hasnt been done or all that is present in the fridge is a cucumber and two tomatoes - women are expected to lay on a feast for God and sundry as otherwise it will bring shame on the host.

If guests are to be treated like God, them I would expect the guest to perform a miracle, procure 2 loaves of bread and a few fish (Oh, and some cheese for the vegetarians of course) and feed everyone, after which I would be more than happy to worship him.

The treatment of foreigners by native Indians in India is just a chance for the natives to show off their broken English.

Dont.

Speak your mother tongue and be proud!

Believe me, foreigners would expect you to speak their language if you were in their country. They wouldnt treat you like God.

Angry M Angry

Edited by Madmadgirl - 20 May 2008 at 7:17am
lighthouse IF-Dazzler
lighthouse
lighthouse

Posted: 20 May 2008 at 11:15am | IP Logged

^^^^  But maddy how many times does one encounter such emergencies where someone shows up at our door with their hungry clan and an Indian household does not have a freezer full of stuff or daal, chaawal, atta in the pantry to whip up a basic hearty meal? Confused  I feel feeding someone in the fortunate times we live in of abundance and a restaurant /convenient store at every corner is no biggy.

Speaking of mother tongue, If I am travelling in Germany/france/italy etc I can expect natives to not know anything other than native, but I cannot tell you how frustrating it was for us not to find many who spoke/understood english or hindi when touring mangalore and southern parts in India when one would expect hindi to be spoken/understood to a certain extent.

When most of the call centers originate in India , it is only natural for foreigners to expect Indians to know english. Tongue

qwertyesque IF-Rockerz
qwertyesque
qwertyesque

Posted: 20 May 2008 at 8:07pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Madmadgirl

It's a false pretense and as soon as "God" leaves your house, the host usually say something crap about the guest! wheres ur faith maddy.. be true indian not just namesake.....

If there is anything about us Indian SubContinentals that comes easy to us, it is definitely pretense. unfortunately every honest statement in todays's world will look like pretense....

Secondly, the other problem I have is while the men happy entertaining "God" they have no problem shunting their women folk into the kitchens to slave over God and his angels, relatives and/or friends that may also be in attendance.

No thought will have been given to the fact that the shopping hasnt been done or all that is present in the fridge is a cucumber and two tomatoes - women are expected to lay on a feast for God and sundry as otherwise it will bring shame on the host.

If guests are to be treated like God, them I would expect the guest to perform a miracle, procure 2 loaves of bread and a few fish (Oh, and some cheese for the vegetarians of course) and feed everyone, after which I would be more than happy to worship him. guest are like God is just a metaphor.. nobody is telling you to do their puja.. just take care of them as if they were a God... its all about total faith, love and total thought about hospitality..

The treatment of foreigners by native Indians in India is just a chance for the natives to show off their broken English. Again what u think is aping is trying to tell them that they are understood....Smile

Dont.

Believe me, foreigners would expect you to speak their language if you were in their country. They wouldnt treat you like God. its about us, our culture and our tradition.. and not about a bilateral political reprisal or reciprocity of any kind or anything like that!!!!!!!

Angry M Angry
corvette IF-Rockerz
corvette
corvette

Posted: 21 May 2008 at 3:57am | IP Logged

Originally posted by qwertyesque

Originally posted by Madmadgirl

It's a false pretense and as soon as "God" leaves your house, the host usually say something crap about the guest! wheres ur faith maddy.. be true indian not just namesake.....Qwert - this is my experience, true of a so called modern but traditional NRI family. Maybe we have departed from deeply entrenched Indian values and bas***dised them into something else...but this is what see....

If there is anything about us Indian SubContinentals that comes easy to us, it is definitely pretense. unfortunately every honest statement in todays's world will look like pretense.... granted, I am a cynic in these matters...happy to give you the benefit of doubt 

If guests are to be treated like God, them I would expect the guest to perform a miracle, procure 2 loaves of bread and a few fish (Oh, and some cheese for the vegetarians of course) and feed everyone, after which I would be more than happy to worship him. guest are like God is just a metaphor..I know, I know! Just my sick sense of humour....nobody is telling you to do their puja.. just take care of them as if they were a God... its all about total faith, love and total thought about hospitality..but this is my point - we do it - believe me we do - but I dont see everyone else do it...not only that we dont seem to differentiate with whom we provide this hospitality...for our enemies as well as our friends?? why?? It just doesnt make sense to me.

The treatment of foreigners by native Indians in India is just a chance for the natives to show off their broken English. Again what u think is aping is trying to tell them that they are understood....Smile Not really, wouldnt be so disrespectful so as to call it aping - it's just a sardonic take on the over enthusiasm that is shown to for the gori chamadi posse! 

Dont.

Believe me, foreigners would expect you to speak their language if you were in their country. They wouldnt treat you like God. its about us, our culture and our tradition.. and not about a bilateral political reprisal or reciprocity of any kind or anything like that!!!!!!! Fair dos, I understand where youre coming from..but I still dont agree with bending over backwards when it is to your actual detriment but youre up for it because it's all about saving face......I'm much more in favour of take me as you find me and being authentic.

Its the difference between saying "I have 1 crumb so I'll share it with you" to the Indian way which is "I have 1 crumb but you can have it coz I'm not hungry" when youve not eaten for days!

Angry M Angry

Gauri_3 IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 21 May 2008 at 9:38am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

Go to top