Names & their meaning - Page 4

Posted: 15 years ago
Thanks everyone.

As promised let me first put down all the names and the related I recall from the Ramayan.

Ram, Lakshman, Bharath, Shathrughan, Dashrath, Kaushalya, Sumitra, Kaikeyi, Aswapathi (Kaikeyi's father also known as Kekaya), Yudhajit.

Sita, Urmila, Mandvi, Shruthkirthi,
Janak (I read that the name Janak was sort of a family name and that he was actually called Seeradhwaj. He and his brother Kushadhwaj were the sons of Hrisvaroma. The first person to have founded this kingdom - the Vidheha kingdom - one of the 16 ancient kingdoms - is Nimi. He was the son of Ishvaahu and was probably the first of the Vidheha kings. His son Mithi was the one who founded the city of Mithila (capital of Vidheha) and hence it bears his name.
Sunaina, Kushadhwaj (Janak's brother).

Apologies for the too long reply. Will post the rest when I get time.
hey  Vibhishan gr8 memory,apart from wat u told i just remembered a few more names related to Ramayan : Manthara,Ravan his sons including meghnath or indrajeet(many more bt not remembering now),his wife mandodari,his seond wife vajramala,.......................................................

and many more will include some other time

got to go
byeeeeeeeeeeeeee

The names of Sita :

Sita - Furrow

Janaki - Daughter of Janak or from the Janaks.

Janak Nandhini - Janak's child. (Nandhini means child (female) just like Nandhan too means child (male). Raghu Nandhan means Raghu's child or probably Child of the Raghus).

Maithili - Hails from Mithila or Daughter of Mithila.

Vaidhehi - From the Vidhehas or a daughter of Vidheha.

( I remember reading this somewhere  - Maharaj Janak, Sita's father, was called Vidheha - which meant bodiless. It was said that he was a true Brahma jnaji.)

Edited by Vibhishna - 15 years ago
hi vibheshan thanx once again 😛 ur info is truely helping a lot
Glad to be of service. What's the use of knowledge if it is not shared with others?

I will post what I know about Ravan and his family (names) when I get time.