•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 15 years ago

From Khiladi Kumar to Dr. Akshay Kumar

From Khiladi Kumar to Dr. Akshay KumarThey came in all shapes and sizes, dressed in saris, salwar kurtas and mini skirts. The Non-resident Indian community fetched up in full force from neighbouring places in the United States and joined the local crowds at Windsor (a six hour drive from Detroit, USA) screaming them hoarse when Rev. Dr Paul J Rennick, President Assumption University in Windsor conferred on Bollywood heartthrob, Akshay Kumar, the title of Doctor of Laws (Honoris Causa).

Kumar landed in a private charter from Toronto with friends Ajay Virmani, Monica, Vinay and Pauline (all Canadian residents) and was followed by boisterous crowds who cheered and screamed, giving the local police a nightmare.

"This is like Beatles
mania," a local Canadian photographer said.

Father Rennick who has spent six months of his early life in North India
said he was very impressed with India and her culture.  But of course he had no connection whatsoever to Bollywood.

The Assumption University authorities added they were impressed with the fact that Kumar had had an impeccable career graph; but what impressed him and his senate was the actor's contribution to charitable work, both in India and Canada.

Kumar is actually in the process of setting up a home for the elderly, especially those in the Indian community, many of who are neglected by their kin.

Even as the Bollywood actor's fans disturbed the decorum at the chapel with their continuous "Akshay" chants; Khiladi Kumar took the mike to say, "This honour that I have received today is bigger than the Oscar.  I am truly humbled."

Kumar also confessed to the crowd that he was an under-graduate and economic conditions compelled him to drop out of college when he was in his teens.

But he had risen from a waiter in Bangkok
to a martials arts black belt expert; and found his way into Bollywood in 1990.  "120 films later, here I am receiving a doctorate at a world renowned university," he said, emotionally overwhelmed. "Who would have thought that Bollywood would bring me so far?"

Though it is mandatory that family be part of an occasion such as this, neither Akshay's wife Twinkle nor his five-year-old son Araav could be present with him at Windsor because "Araav had to be in school," the actor explained.

Akshay said like his predecessors Amitabh Bachchan, Shah Rukh Khan and Salman Khan, he too was approached to have his wax work at Madame Tussauds.  "But what I didn't think in my wildest dreams is that I would be conferred with the title of Dr some day.  It'll take time getting used to going from Mr to Dr."

Originally posted by abhikidiwani

thanks

you are most welcome 😊

congrats to akki!🤗🤗 he deserves all these recognition. it's too bad twinkle nor aarav could be present on such a nice occasion.

Originally posted by jigglypuff726

congrats to akki!🤗🤗 he deserves all these recognition. it's too bad twinkle nor aarav could be present on such a nice occasion.

Yes..I agree with you...Akshay deserves all these recognition..I wish him all the best in life...Congrats Akshay 👏