India-Forums

The Indian Economy (Page 7)

jagdu IF-Dazzler
jagdu
jagdu

Posted: 10 June 2008 at 3:05pm | IP Logged
India takes measures to curb inflation.
Priya,
A brother of mine in India is an IBM VP. His sentiments contributed a lot to my article.
Who is the world's fastest growing economy? China. Next is INDIA!
The wholesale price index(as of today 8.24%) is the most watched in India and at a 44 month high, which forecasters say will hit 10% this month. Consumer price index hs hit 7.81% compared with 7.87 in march. RBI will either raise interest reates or make banks keep a higher reserve in it-RBI CBI's goal is 5.5%inflation! What will RBI do july 29? Now that cash reserve stands at 8.25%. Now Y.V. Reddy, India's RBI governaer has a huge pain in his you know where. India is growing at 9%, but will Reddy make the country re-look at it's growth rate?

girivanam IF-Rockerz
girivanam
girivanam

Posted: 11 June 2008 at 2:39am | IP Logged
I wish to share the contents of a mail I received.

Interesting to know

Over the weekend, I filled up my bike's fuel tank, and I thought fuel has become really expensive after the recent price hike.

But then I compared it with other common liquids and did some quick calculations, and I felt a little better.

To know why, see the results below - you'll be surprised at how outrageous some other prices are!

Diesel (regular) in Mumbai: Rs.36.08 per liter

Petrol (speed) in Mumbai: Rs.52 per liter

Coca Cola 330 ml can: Rs.20 = Rs.61 per liter

Dettol antiseptic 100 ml Rs.20 = Rs.200 per liter

Radiator coolant 500 ml Rs.160 = Rs.320 per litre

Pantene conditioner 400 ml Rs.165 = Rs.413 per litre

Medicinal mouthwash like Listerine 100 ml Rs.45 = Rs. 450 per litre

Red Bull 150 ml can: Rs.75 = Rs.500 per litre

Corex cough syrup 100 ml Rs.57 = Rs. 570 per litre

Evian water 500 ml Rs. 330 = Rs. 660 per liter (Rs. 500 + for a liter of WATER???!!! And the buyers don't even know the source (Evian spelled Backwards is Naive.)

Kores whiteout 15 ml Rs. 15 = Rs. 1000 per liter

Cup of coffee at any decent business hotel 150 ml Rs. 175 = Rs. 1167 per litre

Old Spice after shave lotion 100 ml Rs. 175 = Rs. 1750 per litre

Pure almond oil 25 ml Rs. 68 = Rs. 2720 per liter

And this is the REAL KICKER...

HP deskjet colour ink cartridge 21 ml Rs.1900 = Rs. 90,476 per litre!!!

Now you know why computer printers are so cheap? So they have you hooked for the ink!

So, the next time you're at the pump, don't curse our honorable Petroleum Minister - just Be glad your car doesn't run on cough syrup, after shave, coffee, or God forbid, printer ink!

jasunap IF-Sizzlerz
jasunap
jasunap

Posted: 11 June 2008 at 6:58am | IP Logged
cracking good one giri!
kadhambari IF-Rockerz
kadhambari
kadhambari

Posted: 11 June 2008 at 7:22am | IP Logged
enna oru observation,luks funny but its true.
jagdu IF-Dazzler
jagdu
jagdu

Posted: 11 June 2008 at 4:28pm | IP Logged
Auto makers have been slammed by a slowdown in demand for high-profit vehicles like SUVs and trucks. Chrysler's fell compared to last year, and the company's market share dipped by 2 percentage points to 10.6%.

Nardelli said the company is working on building an international presence, with emphasis on opportunities including India. Chrysler's former corporate parent, German automaker Daimler, had helped the company on the international front. Remember Benz still owns about 20% of Chrysler.
jagdu IF-Dazzler
jagdu
jagdu

Posted: 12 June 2008 at 9:36am | IP Logged
Daiichi Sankyo co. will buy control of India's Ranbaxy Labs ltd. for as much as 4.6 billion, entering a generic drug market growing twice as fast as branded medicines as govt. price cuts erode profits, the market is growing at a rate of 10%, 12% a year reaching $20billion by 2015. With that and when drugmakers have underperformed and foreign investors want to pump in 4b$ into the country it's good. Sold at Rs.737 a share, 31% higher than y'day's closing price, Ranbaxy's share rose 5.4% to 591Rs. Founded 1961, built over 30 years CEO Malvinder Singh, billionaire will keep his post giving Japan a reach in India where he's purchased 7 worldwide co.scopying blockbuster drugs and seling them for a fraction of the price aiming for $5 billion by 2012.
jagdu IF-Dazzler
jagdu
jagdu

Posted: 12 June 2008 at 9:55am | IP Logged
Blow to Vikram Pandit, Citigroup to close Hedge fund Old Lane.
Vikram Pandit(hereafter reffered as VP)personally reaped at least $165 million when Citygroup bought Old Lane in July '07 and then took over Citygroup. Then Citygroup was willing to pay a premium to land VP as CEO. Citigroup wanted to capitalize 1-3billion$ late as last month per Old Lane CEO Guru Ramakrishnan(from now on GR), and later decided against. VP was with Morgan Stanley till 2005 and ousted. He had contacts with expertise in India on hedge funds and GR raised 4billion$s in 9 months with supporters including Harvard and Singapore govt. VP was at the helm of these funds and sophisticated investors. Once the credit crisis started, Citigroup put GR in charge and VP went on to the board. VP's departure caused investors to withdraw money while VP moved his friends managing these funds over to his side. He has $100 million there, and will have to move it to other citigroup vehicles.
What will happen to GR? He reported to VP, and has performed well as a portfolio manager and generated more than 20% last year.

Edited by jagdu - 12 June 2008 at 9:56am
jagdu IF-Dazzler
jagdu
jagdu

Posted: 12 June 2008 at 4:15pm | IP Logged
Centra bank raises key short term rate
India raistd it's short term leding rat to 8% in order to contain inflation. By the end of May India's inflation rate was 8.44%, while the comfort zone is no more than 5.5%. Will it go up to 10%?

Go to top