India-Forums

The Indian Economy (Page 3)

jagdu IF-Dazzler
jagdu
jagdu

Posted: 29 May 2008 at 4:16pm | IP Logged
Oops! on 27 march, I wrote about Reliance's communication's interest in MTN. Now MTN is talking about a reverse takeover, of Reliance communications!MTN is vauled at $40 billion, Reliance under 30. MTN has 68 million subscribers, Reliance communications has 48. Anil Ambani could give up his 66% stake in the merged entity.

Sue Nair IF-Rockerz
Sue Nair
Sue Nair

Posted: 30 May 2008 at 10:27am | IP Logged

Originally posted by Caryn

Very interesting and resourceful information you have posted Jagdu. Thanks.

When there was recession in early 90s, many of SEA countries suffered from inflation. SEA economy practically beserk! Bankruptcy was so common. Stock market went down to tubes. Many blamed Soros for their predictament. Our PM did the only thing he could do (but of course many did not agree with him), i.e. pegged the US dollars. It stayed there for many years until recently. We didn't suffer as much as our neighbours did but yes we had our share of woes.

Now that the dollar is unpegged, everything shot up tremendously. Fuel, food, etc. Only thing that did not shoot up is our salary of course.

LOLLOLLOL...Caryn dear you just took the words out of my mouth..!!

Sue Nair IF-Rockerz
Sue Nair
Sue Nair

Posted: 30 May 2008 at 10:31am | IP Logged

Originally posted by usha_pooja

Very interesting. Despite, India is growing fast in terms in education, technology and development. Then why does this affecting the country so badly. I heard India has progress well.

India is progressing much faster than you think.Tongue...however, this economic crisis is being faced not only by India but its hitting throughout the globe.Cry

Sue Nair IF-Rockerz
Sue Nair
Sue Nair

Posted: 30 May 2008 at 10:39am | IP Logged

Originally posted by jagdu

If the Indian govt. negates inflation in the effort, the results of the measures taken will bear fruit.

Even Brazil is growing at 5% an year now. That's not much compared to a 7% for 2009 for India, which was growing at 9% the last 2 years. The rupee quietly fell by 2 against a rising dollor in recent past.

On a separate subject, the chinese have poured billions of $'s in tibet. The dalai lama is trying to talk to the chinese. The chinese call him wolf in monk's robes. Talks are the only method of tibetan autonomy. There is a govt.in exile within an Indian govt. in north India.

Jagdu...very interesting thread and I like the way you present it with all the info intact for our benefit..ClapClapClap

Sorry to say this.... the Chinese are paying for their karma for having touched the Tibetians...what goes around comes around. Mother India is always there to give shelter - both caring and sharing...Heart.Heart

Bonheur Goldie
Bonheur
Bonheur

Posted: 30 May 2008 at 11:06am | IP Logged
Oops, Sue. Madonna got into trouble for saying the Chinese were paying for their Tibetan karma!

Jagdu asked me to visit this thread. Interesting one. Unfortunately, I can't add any thoughts at 1 am Wink
jagdu IF-Dazzler
jagdu
jagdu

Posted: 30 May 2008 at 2:13pm | IP Logged
Thanks bon. Some day hopefully there will be enough data for the relations between India and Tibet for analysis between our nations. Or even China and India. Incidentally, China endorsed the the 1-2-3 nuclear agreement between India and the US, but India is still to endorse that agreement!
jagdu IF-Dazzler
jagdu
jagdu

Posted: 30 May 2008 at 3:05pm | IP Logged
Anil Ambaani
His father was a petrol pump attendant once, and died in 2002 without a will. Once he died, Mukesh Ambani from my California Stanford graduate school of business and Ani from the University of Pennsylvania Wharton scool raised India's first 100 year bond.
He married Tina Munim and the brothers share an 18 storey mansion in bombay. Anil is the chairman of Reliance ADA. Since he took over, he's doubled shareholder's equity since 2006. Reliance capital's up 145%, communicaion's up 97% and Infrastucture's up 90%. India's sensex at BSE is up 52% since he started, and's contributed to it's rise. Anil's group of companies has grown more than 500%. Mukesh now only has 33% lead!
Note Kavita, Anil is a vegetarian, (note Jasmine: arranged marraige)does not smoke or drink, and is in the ofice 7 days a week often with his chauffer in the passenger seat and for the IF fitness fanatics,often jogs along Mumbai's waterfront.

Edited by jagdu - 30 May 2008 at 3:08pm
Bonheur Goldie
Bonheur
Bonheur

Posted: 30 May 2008 at 10:56pm | IP Logged

Jagdu, I'm not sure whether IF rules allow poltical discussions. This is supposed to be a discussion of the Indian economy but of course one can't separate economics from politics all the time. Your trivia on Indian business magnates is interesting and uncontroversial. Can we raise the economic discussion to a non-contentious and somewhat academic level?

I am no economist but you started off this thread implicitly questioning the state's interference in markets. I know the market mechanism is not always efficient and it certainly doesn't help in equitable distribution. On the other hand, the state's intervention in the market mechanism also often has negative, distortionary effects.

I am wondering how the state can intervene, perhaps in concert with international bodies, to help alleviate world food shortages and stabilise the prices of essential commodities. Any thoughts? (I don't want to go into the other area of energy shortages, high energy prices, fuel subsidies and the search for renewables, etc. Many contentious issues related to climate change, global warming, OPEC production levels, carbon trading, etc, etc) Food shortage is a critical global issue. I know some see it as the precursor of armageddon!

Oh, and perhaps, since this forum is visited by an international readership (not just NRIs and Indian nationals), could we also discuss globalisation and its merits or demerits, the relevance or otherwise of the nation-state, etc?

Edited by Bonheur - 31 May 2008 at 10:11am

Go to top