Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

jagdu thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago
Thanks bon. Some day hopefully there will be enough data for the relations between India and Tibet for analysis between our nations. Or even China and India. Incidentally, China endorsed the the 1-2-3 nuclear agreement between India and the US, but India is still to endorse that agreement!
jagdu thumbnail
Anil Ambaani
His father was a petrol pump attendant once, and died in 2002 without a will. Once he died, Mukesh Ambani from my California Stanford graduate school of business and Ani from the University of Pennsylvania Wharton scool raised India's first 100 year bond.
He married Tina Munim and the brothers share an 18 storey mansion in bombay. Anil is the chairman of Reliance ADA. Since he took over, he's doubled shareholder's equity since 2006. Reliance capital's up 145%, communicaion's up 97% and Infrastucture's up 90%. India's sensex at BSE is up 52% since he started, and's contributed to it's rise. Anil's group of companies has grown more than 500%. Mukesh now only has 33% lead!
Note Kavita, Anil is a vegetarian, (note Jasmine: arranged marraige)does not smoke or drink, and is in the ofice 7 days a week often with his chauffer in the passenger seat and for the IF fitness fanatics,often jogs along Mumbai's waterfront. Edited by jagdu - 15 years ago
Bonheur thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Jagdu, I'm not sure whether IF rules allow poltical discussions. This is supposed to be a discussion of the Indian economy but of course one can't separate economics from politics all the time. Your trivia on Indian business magnates is interesting and uncontroversial. Can we raise the economic discussion to a non-contentious and somewhat academic level?

I am no economist but you started off this thread implicitly questioning the state's interference in markets. I know the market mechanism is not always efficient and it certainly doesn't help in equitable distribution. On the other hand, the state's intervention in the market mechanism also often has negative, distortionary effects.

I am wondering how the state can intervene, perhaps in concert with international bodies, to help alleviate world food shortages and stabilise the prices of essential commodities. Any thoughts? (I don't want to go into the other area of energy shortages, high energy prices, fuel subsidies and the search for renewables, etc. Many contentious issues related to climate change, global warming, OPEC production levels, carbon trading, etc, etc) Food shortage is a critical global issue. I know some see it as the precursor of armageddon!

Oh, and perhaps, since this forum is visited by an international readership (not just NRIs and Indian nationals), could we also discuss globalisation and its merits or demerits, the relevance or otherwise of the nation-state, etc?

Edited by Bonheur - 15 years ago
jagdu thumbnail
Bon
Your suggestions are well taken and we'll stick to the essentials. Each day we learn a little about the indian economy and it all adds up. The personalities, various companies and industry and change taking place. That should contribute to good reading.
jagdu thumbnail
India's economy expanded 8.8% in 2008 defying trends abroad. Our CFO M.A. Chidambaram says we can sustain an 8.5% growth this year. The main areas of growth are construction and service industries-hotels, insurance and outsourcing. Manufacturing has slowed in the last 3 months. Inflation is at 8.1%, mostly because of higher crude prices and losses on the rupee. Will India subsidize the fuel market?
jagdu thumbnail
India's Vedanta Resources purchased Asarco for $2.6 billion, one of it's largest purchases challenging the clout of Latin americans and vying for a peice of the world's minerals. It's CEO Anil Agarwal and family showed sales of $8.2 billion and increased it's shares up by 70%. They produce aluminum(aluminium to Indians), copper, zinc and lead. Vedanta bought Zambia's konkola copper mines in 2004 and have smelting and refining ops in that country. To grow our economy we need more iron ore to fuel the busy steel mills.
jagdu thumbnail
Reliance communications is attractive!
If MTN does decide to buy Reliance communications, it will be happy. Anil Ambani will be the largest shareholder between the companies. Whatever happens, the stock price and profits will continue climbing. Reliace communications started late in 2002 and grew to 50 million subscribers and now with profits of 15.3 billion Rs((357 million), 2nd only to Bharti Airtel and both companies have very good PE(price-to-earnigns)ratios. Will MTN bet on a fast rising Reliance?
Investors prefer Bharti to Reliance.
Hosanna thumbnail
Oh dear , this thread is indeed mind boggling!
However my little contribution is that it was not Madonna but Sharon Stone who made that remark about the Chinese karma and got booted as Christian Dior's perfume model in China!
girivanam thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Thanks Jagdu,

An interesting topic 👏👏. I have very little to say, but am closely following all the details and assimilating 😊.

jagdu thumbnail
IPL a huge success:
Formed by BCCI, 8 teams were auctioned for $724million. WSG of Singapore got TV and Promotional rights for $1billion for 10 years, Sony entertainment TV. 200 million were the estimated audience in India, and 10 million overseas. International advertisers flocked, and the tv viewer ratings were 8.2, 4 times the average of soap operas. More women viewers were attracted. IPL players made in 6 weeks what other players were making playing the whole year elsewhere.