Ramayan
Ramayan

Ravana-A Truthful Saint King

ayesha54 Newbie
ayesha54
ayesha54

Posted: 12 May 2008 at 12:54am | IP Logged

I can't exactly remember where had I read it but, as I remember...Smile

In his "purva Janam" Ravan was a Truthful and a typical Dharmatama type King who loved his Praja as a Father do. He had won almost all empires(I think) and had made a lot of rivals. One day when he had gone to play Shikaar, he got lost and met one of his Rivals who he didn't recognize as he was wearing some saintly clothes and was living like a Saint. But the rival king quickly recognized him and swore to teach him a lesson. Pretending as a Gyani saint he told ravana about his(ravana's) identity, family etc. And Ravan came into his grip and he thought that he is a Puhancha Hua Vidvan. And the rival told him that he have done many mistakes and have to correct them now(or something like that). Then ravana asked that how could he do so. In reply the rival told him that he would transport king to his palace and he should call the family of hundred saints and give them complete Lunch prepared by the rival. And he warned him that he will not look in the kitchen while later is preparing food. And then he told him that he could have some rest and he will be transported in his palace while sleeping. When ravana had gone to sleep, the rival called his friend who was a Rakshsa and narrate him the whole story and rakshsa promised to help him. When ravana got up he found himself in his own bed. He called the families of a hundred Brahmins and the rival king made food for them out of all non-veg. And ravana not even once beeped in the kitchen. And when they had finished he came running and told everyone that the food was impure. The angry brahmins therefore cursed the king that he and his whole vansha would be ended andhe would get a rakshasa yoni in his next janama. And thereafter his whole vansha ended and he re-incrated as Ravana.Smile

If there is any mistake in the story I strongly apologize as Ihad read it long time before.Embarrassed   

Shruti11 IF-Sizzlerz
Shruti11
Shruti11

Posted: 12 May 2008 at 1:12am | IP Logged
ya this story is in tulsi ramcharitmanas
LeadNitrate IF-Sizzlerz
LeadNitrate
LeadNitrate

Posted: 12 May 2008 at 5:41am | IP Logged
great story neevr knew about it Smile
akhl IF-Rockerz
akhl
akhl

Posted: 12 May 2008 at 7:06am | IP Logged
I am so happy that you youngsters know so much about our culture. Clap
Thanks Ayesha. The story you have written is there in Tulsidas's Ramacharitmanas. Let me add something to what Ayesha has written: -

The king was Pratapabhanu. His brother was Arimardan and his minister was Dharmaruchi. As rebirth, Pratapabhanu became Ravan, Arimardan became Kumbhkarn and Dharmaruchi became Vibhishan. Pratapabhanu's relatives and followers were also reborn as various demons.
-Frozen- IF-Sizzlerz
-Frozen-
-Frozen-

Posted: 12 May 2008 at 8:52am | IP Logged
thanx for it Tongue
aalochak Senior Member
aalochak
aalochak

Posted: 12 May 2008 at 10:30am | IP Logged
Originally posted by ayesha54

I can't exactly remember where had I read it but, as I remember...Smile

In his "purva Janam" Ravan was a Truthful and a typical Dharmatama type King   

This is from Ramcharitmanas by Goswami Tulsidas. Its the story of King Pratapbhanu who was cursed and became Ravan in his next life.

diva823 Newbie
diva823
diva823

Posted: 12 May 2008 at 12:13pm | IP Logged
Also, Pratapabhanu was a great devotee of Lord Vishnu. When Pratapabhanu asked for forgiveness, the rishis said that Lord Vishnu will come to earth to give him liberation.
priyav IF-Dazzler
priyav
priyav

Posted: 12 May 2008 at 12:29pm | IP Logged
thanks ayesha.never heard of this story.

Go to top