Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

Ranbir Kapoor plays Rajiv Gandhi in 'Rajn

hazel94 IF-Dazzler
hazel94
hazel94

Posted: 10 May 2008 at 3:29pm | IP Logged

Ranbir Kapoor plays Rajiv Gandhi in 'Rajniti'

Ranbir Kapoor plays Rajiv Gandhi in Rajniti
Prakash Jha's 'Rajniti' blends contemporary Indian politics with chapters from the Mahabharat in a mix that promises to be the avant-garde director's headiest yet.

The latest Bollywood heartthrob, Ranbir Kapoor, would play the character of Arjun, which would include elements from Rajiv Gandhi's life. Mythology and politics — a unique mix, indeed!

Prakash has accumulated a formidable cast of actors. "There's Ajay Devgan who will play a modern-day Karn. And believe it or not, Nana Patekar who was fantastic as the corrupt politician in 'Apharan', has been cast as Krishna!"

Also in the cast are Viveik Oberoi and Manoj Bajpai in pivotal roles. "These are actors I've not worked with before. I'm looking forward to directing them. Ajay and Nana are old friends. We share a fantastic comfort level." In fact recently, Marathi Manoos Nana and Bihari Bhai Prakash took part in a passionate debate on the oust-Biharis-from-Maharashtra campaign on NDTV.

After the debate Raj Thackeray apparently rang up Prakash to present a balanced view. Says Prakash, "Raj is a friend and an intelligent educated man. I truly believe artistes need to rise above politics. I make cinema on politics. But I'd never be part of it. Likewise, Nana who was so stunning as a wily politician in Apharan, will I'm sure be equally adept playing Krishna in my 'Rajniti'."

'Rajiniti' won't be the first contemporary take on the Mahabharat. Three decades ago Shyam Benegal attempted to incorporate elements from the Mahabharat into contemporary entrepreneurship in the film 'Kalyug'. Now, Prakash Jha will blend mythology into Indian politics.

Interestingly, earlier he wanted to film just the Draupadi section of the Mahabharat with Madhuri Dixit in the lead. He shelved the idea when he heard other filmmakers were barking up the same tree.

• Page 1 of 1

Go to top