India-Forums

sex education in schools? (Page 7)

U-No-Poo IF-Sizzlerz
U-No-Poo
U-No-Poo

Posted: 13 May 2008 at 2:51am | IP Logged
Originally posted by chatbuster

Originally posted by liza93

cb said earlier that kids of age 11-12 don't know what a condom is, well then kids at that age are not taught about condoms.

not sure, but are you saying that they should at that age?Tongue

Like i said earlier, there are alot of child molestation happening nowadays, and the most horrifying thing is that they happen within the family. So children of that age are simply taught to distuingish between what is "good touch" and "bad touch", they are also taught about the biological changes in their body, so they know exactly what is happening to them.

ok but dont know how knowing about condoms and such when the kid is being molested would help. they're not in any position to tell the molester to use safe methods, are they? if they are in such deep creek anyway, all that education is of no use anyway. Smile

I am not saying that in families uncles just barge in and rape a girl, What i meant was that if a person touches a girl in a wrong way, then she should know that it is wrong and should be able to tell her parent(father or mother, whoever the kid is comfortable with). Many uncles within the family convince a kid by saying that "we are just showing our love", but if a girl has appropriate knowledge she will be able stand up and say "this is wrong", without knowledge she won't even realize that what happened to her was wrong.

k-ekta fan IF-Rockerz
k-ekta fan
k-ekta fan

Posted: 13 May 2008 at 5:21am | IP Logged
I hve a mix feelin here..

untill d kids r 18 yrs dey must nt allowed i thnk so as dey will b nt able 2 understand or dey can take it in other way

as it is India... n Indian r vry bck talking abt sex. spl parents wid deir kids... dey dun discuss much. same mine parents never said me nthing . only tv hve help me LOL . credit ekta kapoor LOL

even d grand ppl dey where nt havin knwledge of it. but dey cme 2 knw fater dey cme in dere age. so I thnk same must go wid kids also...

n if it is added in 9th syallbus den i might it must b shrt n teachers must b gven proper method hw 2 teach d kids. it must nt b vulgar n blunter n teachers must b nt d person who make kids embrass wid deir talk...

yes it must. only 2 make sure dat all kids r must understand d sex life 1st n den step in2 it... b4 dat no risk cover...
qwertyesque IF-Rockerz
qwertyesque
qwertyesque

Posted: 13 May 2008 at 7:47am | IP Logged

Originally posted by return_to_hades

Actually I think you are further illustrating my point too. When a girl notices that her friend came back from summer vacation with bigger boobs and the guys are all flocking behind her she develops jealousy and insecurity. Even without sex education she wonders why she is not developed yet. Some are worried about their friends hormonal behavior. While their friends get busy flirting with or noticing the opposite sex, they feel like they dont fit in as their hormones have not kicked in yet.

lol, so we are now going to start offering courses and such to make sure that kids dont get jealous of other kids because of their physical assets? it wld make them less jealous when they see their bf hitting on the prettier gal?LOL

if se cld get rid of all the human envy people have even as adults, then whoever invented that se course book shld be written up for a nobel citation.Wink not happening thoughWink

LOLLOLLOL - the book would be titled
"Emancipation through SE"LOL

corvette IF-Rockerz
corvette
corvette

Posted: 13 May 2008 at 7:56am | IP Logged
OK first of all, good topic for discussion!

I am with RTH all the way and Qwerty, cant believe some of the stuff you've written yaar. Ouch

Stats quoted have all been extreme - either somewhere like India or US - two extremes.

In some other EU countries, particularly the Nordic ones, unlike a lot of Western societies, their preganany/abortion rates are quite low. This has been attributed to their non-sensational attitude towards education young people about sex.

My personal view like RTH, Gauri et al, is that there is nothing wrong in imparting knowledge about what is essentially "human health" but marketed as sex education.

A lot of people have hang ups about sex and anything to do with it. As children, I'm sure we all grew up or heard our parents or other people of that genre refer to a penis as many things - except a penis. But that IS what it is.

We wouldnt call our arm anything else, or our nose for that matter. But when it comes to penises and vaginas, most people call them anything but.

It;s understandable, becasue it;s the way we and many generations probably before us were brought up to believe sex was dirty or not to be spoken about or acknowledged.

However I strongly believe that it is precisely this belief that contributes to the problem of high preganancies, sex problems/deseases and all other problems related. Education, having knowledge about something, can never be adverse but that doesnt mean that imparting such knowledge requires the teacher to pitch it at the appropriate level.

As an Indian, I believe our culture has a lot to answer for. It is the same culture that for me, as a 13 yr old sexually abused by an uncle, made me feel no one would believe me and if I told I would be considered bad or worse not be believed at all - i.e he was just being affectionate.

As a woman years later, I am happy that I finally told my mum and although she never doubted me I could see the concept of her cousin-brother messing with me was one she found difficult to comprehend.

Imparting to our youngsters the need to understand what touch is acceptable and what is not and giving them the strength to know what they fee is probably right and that they should always tell someone they trust is absolutely necessary.

As for the rest, the sooner we "de-taboo" sex the better. It takes time and positive effort but the result will not necessarily induce promiscuity, but rather self responsibilty.

Angry M Angry
qwertyesque IF-Rockerz
qwertyesque
qwertyesque

Posted: 13 May 2008 at 7:59am | IP Logged

Originally posted by qwertyesque

I believe Liza93 did mention that 11-12 year olds do not learn about condoms. Although I would be shocked if I met a 12 year old who did not know what one was.

not quite sure what she meant which is why i had asked. as for 12 year old kids knowing about condoms, not always the case imo. but even if it were, not in any graphic detail. once they introduce the topic in school, u've created an environment where they do try to find out more.

Anyways sex education is not just about safe sex. It is about being aware of biological changes, understanding the function of the body and what puberty and adolescence is. It is a structured process appropriate for the age level.

structure that is decided by a bunch of liberals?LOL they cant even get other curriculums right (eg. math and sciences) and we're entrusting other aspects to the council?Ouch

A good structured Sex education also delves into social ethics, moral issues, emotional issues related to sexuality.

sure, and a good science education wld delve into rocket making, unravelling dnas, building cyclotrons etc.Tongue But it aint for everyone, is it? Every kid is different.

Young children need to know what is appropriate and inappropriate touch and taught to inform authorities when someonecuay touch them inappropriately. I really believe that parents should discuss these matters with children from a very young age to protect them from abuse. However, in countries where parents are shy of talking to kids about these matters or in situations where parents are the culprits sex education helps keep children informed.

even in these rare and extreme circumstances, is it realistic for kids to object or report to authorities just because they got that education in school?

Nevertheless, many abused children may not report abuse even if they are aware. But teaching them the facts, their rights and how to get help could potentially save one who has the courage and even one child is worth it.

school systems arent and shldnt be about "saving" one kid. they shld be about serving the interests of a broad cross-section of kids. otherwise, we'll be holding up the class every time a dumb kid cldnt follow along.Smile 

The biggest problem is that people consider sex education as something 'dirty' that will warp children and ruin their youth. Sex education is not rocket science that only certain children can learn and understand. It is our body. It is the most natural process, it is the very reason of our existence. Understanding our body is the most basic information a person can receive. Hasnt this been happening in the US whats the result.. they started AIDS virus, promiscuity is on the rise.. kids get frustrated and shoot each other... These things only promote wrong side of education not the one which you are trying to drive...

We do not need sex education to open the door to sex for kids. Like it or not kids these days are exposed to sex and sexuality more than any generation. Kids are naturally curious and the more taboo we make a subject the more likely they are going to be drawn to it and find out more. Leave them alone they and is there a problem if they learn it within their own family at their own pace..!!!!!

Parents and schools can work to educate children about the facts, and create a good foundation of sexual behavior and social expectations or you can just shut up and let your kids be misinformed by friends and random strangers who could give them many misconceptions and warped ideas. No they just teach whats necessary.. this is part of the parental education.. not public... discourse...

AIDS originated in Sub Saharan Africa and it was first identified by French and American scientists. ok talk about humans not monkeys.. btw there was an american there right?LOL were their any gay scientists? i feel sorry for that monkey who got it first... !!!!!!!

AIDS is not a pandemic affecting USA. If sex education and being open about sex is such a terrible thing why is Europe not suffering a slew of STDs and unwanted pregnancies. It is the conservative push in USA that is preventing kids from knowing the facts. europe is conservative and practices restrain in these matters...USA although conservative - prides is showing itself as bizzare..liberals and ends up in a spot...

AIDS is affecting African and subcontinental regions and these countries need to rethink their approach to AIDS awareness. everybody apes the west so that cant be a good justification.

I whole heartedly agree that parents should be the number one resource for informing kids and guiding them. This should not have to fall on teachers and schools. Since parents have not stepped up to the plate and still refuse to discuss things with their kids schools have to provide information.  how do u know parents havent stepped up... just cause some kid got hiv.. all parents havent stepped up!!!?? I think schools should stay off these things...

This is not  a matter you can leave kids to learn on their own because they do not know better. wrong... these things are inborn for all of us humans except use of condoms.. so they dont need to be taught..

Edited by qwertyesque - 13 May 2008 at 8:01am
-Believe- IF-Stunnerz
-Believe-
-Believe-

Posted: 13 May 2008 at 8:08am | IP Logged
ooppps Itne saaalooose Log kaise jiyaaa!!!without X Education! Confused

I want a tution teacher Wink Tongue
chatbuster IF-Rockerz
chatbuster
chatbuster

Deactivated on request

Posted: 13 May 2008 at 8:36am | IP Logged

Originally posted by Madmadgirl

OK first of all, good topic for discussion!

I am with RTH all the way and Qwerty, cant believe some of the stuff you've written yaar. Ouch

Stats quoted have all been extreme - either somewhere like India or US - two extremes.

but those are good test cases. what's the use of a theory that doesnt fit the most important data points? in any case, arent u using some examples from india to try and make your points below?

In some other EU countries, particularly the Nordic ones, unlike a lot of Western societies, their preganany/abortion rates are quite low. This has been attributed to their non-sensational attitude towards education young people about sex.

pregnancy/ abortion rates there are low because the folks there are not into wanting kids and that's got nothing to do with sex education. the state has to in fact encourage people to have kids thru subsidies. if it was about sex education, then we'd not be having the pregnancy/ abortion rates that we have in the US, where such education is abundantly provided.Smile

My personal view like RTH, Gauri et al, is that there is nothing wrong in imparting knowledge about what is essentially "human health" but marketed as sex education.

A lot of people have hang ups about sex and anything to do with it. As children, I'm sure we all grew up or heard our parents or other people of that genre refer to a penis as many things - except a penis. But that IS what it is.

We wouldnt call our arm anything else, or our nose for that matter. But when it comes to penises and vaginas, most people call them anything but.

yes, but that also trivializes the entire mystery and beauty inerent in the reproductive pleasures. that trivialization leads to breakdown of mental barriers that imo encourages more sex as a matter of mechanical routine. society aint exactly better off with people having that trivialized casual attitude towards sex.Smile

It;s understandable, becasue it;s the way we and many generations probably before us were brought up to believe sex was dirty or not to be spoken about or acknowledged.

the puritan west also had those issues. they've now gone to the other extreme where it's not helped either if one looks at all their sex-related crimes.Smile

However I strongly believe that it is precisely this belief that contributes to the problem of high preganancies, sex problems/deseases and all other problems related. Education, having knowledge about something, can never be adverse but that doesnt mean that imparting such knowledge requires the teacher to pitch it at the appropriate level.

As an Indian, I believe our culture has a lot to answer for. It is the same culture that for me, as a 13 yr old sexually abused by an uncle, made me feel no one would believe me and if I told I would be considered bad or worse not be believed at all - i.e he was just being affectionate.

but these problems are far more abundant in western countries.Ouch

As a woman years later, I am happy that I finally told my mum and although she never doubted me I could see the concept of her cousin-brother messing with me was one she found difficult to comprehend.

Imparting to our youngsters the need to understand what touch is acceptable and what is not and giving them the strength to know what they fee is probably right and that they should always tell someone they trust is absolutely necessary.

sorry to know about the personal angle here, but i cant believe that te reason u have advanced is a sufficient one here. these occurences, common or not (and that's debatable), will not be prevented just because kids were given se in schools. it's the predatory adults who need to be re-programmed.

As for the rest, the sooner we "de-taboo" sex the better. It takes time and positive effort but the result will not necessarily induce promiscuity, but rather self responsibilty.

Angry M Angry

by de-tabooing sex, we also simultaneously make it seem more casual. not what we shld be pitching. cant simply be talking pen*s language on one hand and be telling kids about the need to be careful about sex on the other. the two different messages are inconsistent which is why kids are left even more confused and worse off for it.Smile

chatbuster IF-Rockerz
chatbuster
chatbuster

Deactivated on request

Posted: 13 May 2008 at 9:17am | IP Logged

cb said earlier that kids of age 11-12 don't know what a condom is, well then kids at that age are not taught about condoms.

not sure, but are you saying that they should at that age?Tongue

Like i said earlier, there are alot of child molestation happening nowadays, and the most horrifying thing is that they happen within the family. So children of that age are simply taught to distuingish between what is "good touch" and "bad touch", they are also taught about the biological changes in their body, so they know exactly what is happening to them.

ok but dont know how knowing about condoms and such when the kid is being molested would help. they're not in any position to tell the molester to use safe methods, are they? if they are in such deep creek anyway, all that education is of no use anyway. Smile

I am not saying that in families uncles just barge in and rape a girl, What i meant was that if a person touches a girl in a wrong way, then she should know that it is wrong and should be able to tell her parent(father or mother, whoever the kid is comfortable with). Many uncles within the family convince a kid by saying that "we are just showing our love", but if a girl has appropriate knowledge she will be able stand up and say "this is wrong", without knowledge she won't even realize that what happened to her was wrong.

so is your entire rationale for having sex education that of making kids aware of what's appropriate and what's inappropriate touch? not good enough i think to prevent these things in any meaningful way. that's because in such situations, there's a power-basis on one side of the interaction, with the adult being the more powerful. if it was just about sex education teaching people their rights and personal boundaries etc, we'd not have cases of maids being sexually abused/ exploited by their employers. after all, most of those maids are adult enuff to know what the guy is doing. we're combining lust and power in these interactions and those are forces that no amount of talking about bees and their activities wld help.TongueLOL

Go to top