India-Forums

sex education in schools? (Page 3)

chatbuster IF-Rockerz
chatbuster
chatbuster

Deactivated on request

Posted: 12 May 2008 at 12:53pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by liza93

cb said earlier that kids of age 11-12 don't know what a condom is, well then kids at that age are not taught about condoms.

not sure, but are you saying that they should at that age?Tongue

Like i said earlier, there are alot of child molestation happening nowadays, and the most horrifying thing is that they happen within the family. So children of that age are simply taught to distuingish between what is "good touch" and "bad touch", they are also taught about the biological changes in their body, so they know exactly what is happening to them.

ok but dont know how knowing about condoms and such when the kid is being molested would help. they're not in any position to tell the molester to use safe methods, are they? if they are in such deep creek anyway, all that education is of no use anyway. Smile

lighthouse IF-Dazzler
lighthouse
lighthouse

Posted: 12 May 2008 at 2:11pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by darkness_123

[ Everyone learns about sex by the time they are 16, at the latest. Are you referring to some kind of "purity" that is destroyed when a person learns about sex? Nonsense. It's something everyone knows about anyway, then why "hide" and act "ashamed" about knowing it?

Actually not everyone reaches puberty at same age. Kids who aren't there yet may feel inadequate in sex ed class at 14 and could end up developing emotional issues for the rest of their lives.

Movies have PG13 and above 17 or 18 yrs of age ratings for nudity or sexual content. Its just that mentally, kids below the age of 17 or 18  may not be able to handle the sexual, emotional aspects of  sexual activity.

return_to_hades IF-Veteran Member
return_to_hades
return_to_hades

Posted: 12 May 2008 at 5:01pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by chatbuster

Originally posted by liza93

cb said earlier that kids of age 11-12 don't know what a condom is, well then kids at that age are not taught about condoms.

not sure, but are you saying that they should at that age?Tongue

Like i said earlier, there are alot of child molestation happening nowadays, and the most horrifying thing is that they happen within the family. So children of that age are simply taught to distuingish between what is "good touch" and "bad touch", they are also taught about the biological changes in their body, so they know exactly what is happening to them.

ok but dont know how knowing about condoms and such when the kid is being molested would help. they're not in any position to tell the molester to use safe methods, are they? if they are in such deep creek anyway, all that education is of no use anyway. Smile

I believe Liza93 did mention that 11-12 year olds do not learn about condoms. Although I would be shocked if I met a 12 year old who did not know what one was.

Anyways sex education is not just about safe sex. It is about being aware of biological changes, understanding the function of the body and what puberty and adolescence is. It is a structured process appropriate for the age level. A good structured Sex education also delves into social ethics, moral issues, emotional issues related to sexuality. Young children need to know what is appropriate and inappropriate touch and taught to inform authorities when someone may touch them inappropriately. I really believe that parents should discuss these matters with children from a very young age to protect them from abuse. However, in countries where parents are shy of talking to kids about these matters or in situations where parents are the culprits sex education helps keep children informed. Nevertheless, many abused children may not report abuse even if they are aware. But teaching them the facts, their rights and how to get help could potentially save one who has the courage and even one child is worth it.
return_to_hades IF-Veteran Member
return_to_hades
return_to_hades

Posted: 12 May 2008 at 5:08pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by lighthouse

Originally posted by darkness_123

[ Everyone learns about sex by the time they are 16, at the latest. Are you referring to some kind of "purity" that is destroyed when a person learns about sex? Nonsense. It's something everyone knows about anyway, then why "hide" and act "ashamed" about knowing it?

Actually not everyone reaches puberty at same age. Kids who aren't there yet may feel inadequate in sex ed class at 14 and could end up developing emotional issues for the rest of their lives.

Movies have PG13 and above 17 or 18 yrs of age ratings for nudity or sexual content. Its just that mentally, kids below the age of 17 or 18  may not be able to handle the sexual, emotional aspects of  sexual activity.

Kids are hitting puberty faster. Most kids start hit puberty by 14 nowadays except a few. Even if a kid is not hit puberty they may have a large section of their peers in puberty. Sex education is not geared to make anyone feel inadequate. In fact many kids start feeling inadequate without sex education as they do not understand why their friends have changed physically and emotionally. Sex education helps teenagers understand the puberty process and the stages of biological development. It helps them relate to why their friends have changed and become so hormonal. Sex education helps kids in all stages of puberty understand each other and function harmoniously.
Gauri_3 IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 12 May 2008 at 5:24pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.
chatbuster IF-Rockerz
chatbuster
chatbuster

Deactivated on request

Posted: 12 May 2008 at 6:34pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by return_to_hades

I believe Liza93 did mention that 11-12 year olds do not learn about condoms. Although I would be shocked if I met a 12 year old who did not know what one was.

not quite sure what she meant which is why i had asked. as for 12 year old kids knowing about condoms, not always the case imo. but even if it were, not in any graphic detail. once they introduce the topic in school, u've created an environment where they do try to find out more.

Anyways sex education is not just about safe sex. It is about being aware of biological changes, understanding the function of the body and what puberty and adolescence is. It is a structured process appropriate for the age level.

structure that is decided by a bunch of liberals?LOL they cant even get other curriculums right (eg. math and sciences) and we're entrusting other aspects to the council?Ouch

A good structured Sex education also delves into social ethics, moral issues, emotional issues related to sexuality.

sure, and a good science education wld delve into rocket making, unravelling dnas, building cyclotrons etc.Tongue But it aint for everyone, is it? Every kid is different.

Young children need to know what is appropriate and inappropriate touch and taught to inform authorities when someone may touch them inappropriately. I really believe that parents should discuss these matters with children from a very young age to protect them from abuse. However, in countries where parents are shy of talking to kids about these matters or in situations where parents are the culprits sex education helps keep children informed.

even in these rare and extreme circumstances, is it realistic for kids to object or report to authorities just because they got that education in school?

Nevertheless, many abused children may not report abuse even if they are aware. But teaching them the facts, their rights and how to get help could potentially save one who has the courage and even one child is worth it.

school systems arent and shldnt be about "saving" one kid. they shld be about serving the interests of a broad cross-section of kids. otherwise, we'll be holding up the class every time a dumb kid cldnt follow along.Smile 

qwertyesque IF-Rockerz
qwertyesque
qwertyesque

Posted: 12 May 2008 at 7:18pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by chatbuster

Originally posted by return_to_hades

not quite sure what she meant which is why i had asked. as for 12 year old kids knowing about condoms, not always the case imo. but even if it were, not in any graphic detail. once they introduce the topic in school, u've created an environment where they do try to find out more.

Anyways sex education is not just about safe sex. It is about being aware of biological changes, understanding the function of the body and what puberty and adolescence is. It is a structured process appropriate for the age level.

structure that is decided by a bunch of liberals?LOL they cant even get other curriculums right (eg. math and sciences) and we're entrusting other aspects to the council?Ouch

A good structured Sex education also delves into social ethics, moral issues, emotional issues related to sexuality.

sure, and a good science education wld delve into rocket making, unravelling dnas, building cyclotrons etc.Tongue But it aint for everyone, is it? Every kid is different.

Young children need to know what is appropriate and inappropriate touch and taught to inform authorities when someone may touch them inappropriately. I really believe that parents should discuss these matters with children from a very young age to protect them from abuse. However, in countries where parents are shy of talking to kids about these matters or in situations where parents are the culprits sex education helps keep children informed.

even in these rare and extreme circumstances, is it realistic for kids to object or report to authorities just because they got that education in school?

Nevertheless, many abused children may not report abuse even if they are aware. But teaching them the facts, their rights and how to get help could potentially save one who has the courage and even one child is worth it.

school systems arent and shldnt be about "saving" one kid. they shld be about serving the interests of a broad cross-section of kids. otherwise, we'll be holding up the class every time a dumb kid cldnt follow along.Smile 

Right said CB.. I think most of these asking for SE are kids... LOLLOLLOL - guys you need to be 18 even to post to this topic...LOL

chatbuster IF-Rockerz
chatbuster
chatbuster

Deactivated on request

Posted: 12 May 2008 at 7:34pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by qwertyesque

Right said CB.. I think most of these asking for SE are kids... LOLLOLLOL - guys you need to be 18 even to post to this topic...LOL

LOLthese classes were so much fun... and so wrong to have had. ladkiyon ko kya doshi thehrayen, saara innocence toh inn classes ne humara lootaLOL

Edited by chatbuster - 12 May 2008 at 7:35pm

Go to top