Page 1
Page   of 12
Page 3 Page 12

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 11 May 2008 at 8:25pm | IP Logged
^^
Sex education has to be structured to the right age group. For younger kids its more of biological theory. Older ages you delve deeper into responsibilities, choices and sexual decisions.

14 is the best age to start sex education, it is the age when hormones really start acting up. I really feel parents need to play a more proactive role in educating kids whether the school teaches it or not. Parents who talk to kids about sex and build trust are less likely to have children who make mistakes out of curiosity.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "sex education in schools? (Page 2)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

darkness_123

IF-Rockerz

darkness_123

Posted: 11 May 2008 at 8:42pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by qwertyesque

This is ridiculous. i dont understand how education is going to make those kids any better in these matters nothing can compete or beat the hormones!!!!

Hormones are powerful, no doubt, but surely good sense should count for something? If kids are out doing it anyway, at least we can be assured that they are being protected from diseases and not getting knocked up. A lesser of two evils, I should think.

Its always better to go agnostic everything about sex until they are 18...the small 10% of the kids who venture these routes doesnt mean you have to subject 90% of the students to something they dont know about...

10% is a grossly underestimated number! The percentage of teens indulging in sexual activities is far larger than 10%! 90% of students don't "know about it"? Whether they're doing it or not, every child averaging the age of 14 knows about sex these days. Unless they live in a very rural area, and are not taught basic general science, that is. How is being educated about it hurting anyone? 

If its only about condoms to avoid aids.. hammer their psyche and general society with idea of wearing a condom like they do for helmets on two wheelers...

I think in these matter life and time are the best teachers.........

I respectfully disagree! "Hammering their psyche" into doing something that they don't know jack squat about will only lead to people flouncing the rules. Why would anyone wear a condom or a helmet if they had no idea how it helps them? It just seems like such a cumbersome thing to do? But it needs to be done, because ultimately what it protects is you.

Life and time will only lead to regret in such matters, making these people wish that someone had educated them about the proper methods and precautions regarding such an important part of basic human nature.

All I have to say is that Indians (I don't know about other cultures, but since I am Indian, I can speak safely for them) seem to have a hypocritical attitude towards sex. They refuse to talk about it, refuse to acknowledge it, yet we have the second highest population in the world. Surely these children are not dropping from the sky as "angels brush their wings against a woman's cheek"?? Nonsense. Absolute bull.

Sex education is a very important part of education, as it teaches you about your own body and the changes it goes through and what it is capable of. Of course it shouldn't be taught to 6 year olds. That's ridiculous. But most children these days attain puberty earlier than previous generations, at the age of about 9 - 13. Sex is a basic primal need of human beings and it should be treated as any other facet of human behaviour. Afterall, like I said above, if your children are out "doing the deed" anyway, it seems to be a lesser of two evils when they're doing it right, with proper precautions.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

ProdigalStudent

qwertyesque

IF-Rockerz

qwertyesque

Posted: 11 May 2008 at 9:36pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by darkness_123

This is ridiculous. i dont understand how education is going to make those kids any better in these matters nothing can compete or beat the hormones!!!!

Hormones are powerful, no doubt, but surely good sense should count for something? If kids are out doing it anyway, at least we can be assured that they are being protected from diseases and not getting knocked up. A lesser of two evils, I should think. This attempt is like training people to control reflex action...LOL

Its always better to go agnostic everything about sex until they are 18...the small 10% of the kids who venture these routes doesnt mean you have to subject 90% of the students to something they dont know about...

10% is a grossly underestimated number! The percentage of teens indulging in sexual activities is far larger than 10%! 90% of students don't "know about it"? Whether they're doing it or not, every child averaging the age of 14 knows about sex these days. Unless they live in a very rural area, and are not taught basic general science, that is. How is being educated about it hurting anyone?  It does because to teach you have to bring some truths which the child may not be even exposed...!!! Its like telling the father to acquire some STD, showing him po*n, and leading him to these things.. after you can hardly stop at the floppian tubes.. u c..LOL

If its only about condoms to avoid aids.. hammer their psyche and general society with idea of wearing a condom like they do for helmets on two wheelers...

I think in these matter life and time are the best teachers.........

I respectfully disagree! "Hammering their psyche" into doing something that they don't know jack squat about will only lead to people flouncing the rules. Why would anyone wear a condom or a helmet if they had no idea how it helps them? It just seems like such a cumbersome thing to do? But it needs to be done, because ultimately what it protects is you. People who wear helmet have a good idea of how it helps them!!!??? All they know is it protects their head... similarly kids are told.. like u dress urself its customary to dress the wiggle as an etiquette.. when interacting with females..LOL

Life and time will only lead to regret in such matters, making these people wish that someone had educated them about the proper methods and precautions regarding such an important part of basic human nature.No if that was the case, half the population would have aids by now... but stats say something else... most ot them dont, a veri small percentage get it Smile and to save that small percent rest of the kids need not be led the route they are ignorant about...by opening a can of worms..

All I have to say is that Indians (I don't know about other cultures, but since I am Indian, I can speak safely for them) seem to have a hypocritical attitude towards sex. They refuse to talk about it, refuse to acknowledge it, yet we have the second highest population in the world. Surely these children are not dropping from the sky as "angels brush their wings against a woman's cheek"?? Nonsense. Absolute bull. Why do you think so?

Sex education is a very important part of education, as it teaches you about your own body and the changes it goes through and what it is capable of. Of course it shouldn't be taught to 6 year olds. That's ridiculous. But most children these days attain puberty earlier than previous generations, at the age of about 9 - 13. Sex is a basic primal need of human beings and it should be treated as any other facet of human behaviour. Afterall, like I said above, if your children are out "doing the deed" anyway, it seems to be a lesser of two evils when they're doing it right, with proper precautions. I believe sex education is not necesary.. just like you take treatment when you are sick and not and dont gobble medecines to keep themselves safe.. nor do they take lessons in keeping bacteria away.. most things are learnt as we move along and this should be one of them...Smile

lighthouse

IF-Dazzler

lighthouse

Posted: 11 May 2008 at 10:19pm | IP Logged

......No if that was the case, half the population would have aids by now... but stats say something else... most ot them dont, a veri small percentage get it Smile and to save that small percent rest of the kids need not be led the route they are ignorant about...by opening a can of worms.. ...

Excellent post Qwertoo. Most new aids patients are 19 yrs + which says even with the information they have, people are willing to take risks or believe they are immune to dangers of high risk unprotected sex. and you are right about that 90%, almost all girls know all they need to know by the time they reach menstrual age or soon after , how it relates to pregnancy etc.

Can't kids be kids until they are at least 15 or 16. As cb said earlier, most kids until then are not capable of  making sound judgement even with all the information they have, that too against raging hormones. Smile

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 11 May 2008 at 10:30pm | IP Logged
I do not consider sex ed to be medicine but more like preventative care which we take to preserve good health. For younger children sex education is purely biological. Kids are hitting puberty faster and it is only to make kids aware of the biological changes going through their body and the facts about it and basic reproductive system just like they will learn digestive, nervous, respiratory system etc.

However, once they are fifteen it is better to educate them not just about safe sex, risks but also responsibilities and social ethics involving sex.

If you look at the spread of AIDS it spreads more in countries that are more conservative about sex and do not talk to their kids about safe sex. Many of these kids receive minimal sex education and are fed a lot of misconceptions by friends, partners, media etc that even when they are nineteen and just starting to have sex they are very misinformed about risks.

U-No-Poo

IF-Sizzlerz

U-No-Poo

Posted: 12 May 2008 at 3:19am | IP Logged

Originally posted by return_to_hades

I do not consider sex ed to be medicine but more like preventative care which we take to preserve good health. For younger children sex education is purely biological. Kids are hitting puberty faster and it is only to make kids aware of the biological changes going through their body and the facts about it and basic reproductive system just like they will learn digestive, nervous, respiratory system etc.

However, once they are fifteen it is better to educate them not just about safe sex, risks but also responsibilities and social ethics involving sex.

If you look at the spread of AIDS it spreads more in countries that are more conservative about sex and do not talk to their kids about safe sex. Many of these kids receive minimal sex education and are fed a lot of misconceptions by friends, partners, media etc that even when they are nineteen and just starting to have sex they are very misinformed about risks.

I completely agree with you.

cb said earlier that kids of age 11-12 don't know what a condom is, well then kids at that age are not taught about condoms. Like i said earlier, there are alot of child molestation happening nowadays, and the most horrifying thing is that they happen within the family. So children of that age are simply taught to distuingish between what is "good touch" and "bad touch", they are also taught about the biological changes in their body, so they know exactly what is happening to them.

darkness_123

IF-Rockerz

darkness_123

Posted: 12 May 2008 at 3:56am | IP Logged

This attempt is like training people to control reflex action...LOL

No one is teaching you to "control" anything in sex education. You are being educated about how it happens. It's purely a scientific thing. Like when you are taught how blood clots are formed, or how you get the common cold.

It does because to teach you have to bring some truths which the child may not be even exposed...!!! Its like telling the father to acquire some STD, showing him po*n, and leading him to these things.. after you can hardly stop at the floppian tubes.. u c..

I didn't really get what you meant here, but really, there *are* other ways of educating someone about sex other than po*n! ConfusedConfusedConfused

No if that was the case, half the population would have aids by now... but stats say something else... most ot them dont, a veri small percentage get it and to save that small percent rest of the kids need not be led the route they are ignorant about...by opening a can of worms..

Yes, it is true that only a small percentage of people have AIDS right now. But if we keep shunning sex ed, then the number will grow to vast proportions. It's not just truck drivers and sex workers who have AIDS anymore. Teenagers, married couples, all kinds of people from all walks of life can acquire AIDS and maybe from just their first sexual encounter. And exactly what "route" is this that you mean? Everyone learns about sex by the time they are 16, at the latest. Are you referring to some kind of "purity" that is destroyed when a person learns about sex? Nonsense. It's something everyone knows about anyway, then why "hide" and act "ashamed" about knowing it?

All I have to say is that Indians (I don't know about other cultures, but since I am Indian, I can speak safely for them) seem to have a hypocritical attitude towards sex. They refuse to talk about it, refuse to acknowledge it, yet we have the second highest population in the world. Surely these children are not dropping from the sky as "angels brush their wings against a woman's cheek"?? Nonsense. Absolute bull. Why do you think so?

Because Indians lend this "taboo" nature to sex. They think of sex is some "dirty" thing. Which it is not. Sex is an inherent nature of the species, just as eating and breathing is. I'm not saying people should shoot their mouths off about sex in public. There is a place and time to discuss these matters. Awareness among the common Indian public about sex, STDs, AIDS, precautions, birth control etc is extremely, EXTREMELY limited.

I believe sex education is not necesary.. just like you take treatment when you are sick and not and dont gobble medecines to keep themselves safe.. nor do they take lessons in keeping bacteria away.. most things are learnt as we move along and this should be one of them...

If what you say is true, then what can one do once you get AIDS? Think "oh, maybe next time, I'll be more careful and use a condom?" Nope. No next times. No pills you can gobble, to get rid of it like a headache. You get no more chances when it comes to a disease like AIDS. Which is why the public should be educated against getting infected with such a disease. At least until a fool proof cure to it can be found. Smile

Edited by darkness_123 - 12 May 2008 at 5:16am

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

ProdigalStudent

darkness_123

IF-Rockerz

darkness_123

Posted: 12 May 2008 at 4:12am | IP Logged
*Double post... Sorry! Embarrassed

Edited by darkness_123 - 12 May 2008 at 5:14am

Post Reply New Post

Go to top