Page 12 of 12

Page 1 Page 11
Page   of 12

darkness_123

IF-Rockerz

darkness_123

Posted: 13 May 2008 at 9:35pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by lighthouse

and yes I do believe kids should not be encouraged in any way to indulge in sex when they already are submerged in sexual visualry these days.

Just because we learn something doesn't mean we're mean we're going to go out and do it. After all, we're not sitting here and trying to train dogs with bells just because we're learning the Pavlovian conditioning! LOL

Gaining complete knowledge about something, will help people make informed decisions about their actions. Whether you want them to have sex or not, if they make up their minds, they're going to do it. And if they are, which is worse? Them having sex, but catching diseases or getting pregnant, or them JUST having sex, with no nasty repercussions?

Originally posted by lighthouse

The fear of unknown, getting caught of doing the wrong thing or uncertainity about the whole enchilada helps to thwart premature sex indulgence.

In the case of sex, I don't think kids have "fear" of the unknown, as much as curiosity. Movies, music videos and the media in general glorify sex as something that is just so amazing. Either that, or parental figures clam up about it, refusing to discuss it at all. What children need to be taught is that it's not as glorious or as bad as it's being pitched to be. It's a biological occurrence, albeit one that comes with social and moral responsibilities. If you do indulge in sex, then be ready to endure the consequences, be they pregnancy, or diseases or whatever. I don't see how this can be done if children are expected to gain the knowledge from some website that just came up first on Google, which may or may not contain accurate/complete information. Incomplete/poorly understood knowledge is more dangerous than no knowledge at all. Children need to be taught about the birds and bees by a responsible adult (be it a parent or teacher), and not some random website.

Edited by darkness_123 - 13 May 2008 at 9:38pm

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "sex education in schools? (Page 12)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

corvette

IF-Rockerz

corvette

Posted: 14 May 2008 at 3:45am | IP Logged
Darkness - loved your post above - all agreed and put very well.

CB - no need to sweat it out with me matey!Wink
Each to their own Smile

I would simply sum up my feelings on the matter of SE.

Sex, a bit like alcohol, are generally known to be the sort of indulgences kids arent supposed to partake in.

However the more elusive they are, the more curiosity they generate.

You can either be open about the issues, talk about any curiosities, satisfy the need for answers and hope that's good enough for the kid to be sensible ( and hopefully abstain for as long as its right -whatever right may be)

Or you can stay tight lipped, pretend these are issues that you dont have to deal with as your kids know full well what you expect from them - end of.

For me I would always opt for the former - I would want my kid to know they could trust me as much as I trust them. If there are issues they wanna find out about - I hope I'ma good enough parent to be there for them as a role model adult to answer honestly about anything they may wanna know. If they dont - that's OK too.

What I would never do is turn a blind eye or make assumptions.

It will often be easier for kids to hear about SE from teachers or people outside the family - that's cool and I respect that - I would never deny this right.

Better to demystify and be in ther know, than learn the untruths, wrongful susperstitions and other general crap that often gets circulated by ignorant people about sexual health.

Her's to happy, confident well rounded good kids, who being better informed will hopefully make better decisions, be confident in their knowledge and make good partners in later life.

Plenty of kids I went to college with used being away at Uni to get thoroughly drunk and thoroughly laid -

A lot of Asian parents think by not letting their daughters go away to Uni they can prevent this sort of stuff going on.

Wake up people - where there's a will there is always a way.

Another fine example of the resourcefulness of kids hell bent on having a good time no matter how adverse the circumstances was the advent of daytime bhangra discos in the UK, so Asian kids could bunk off school and attend them, and re-plait their hair anf get back hime in time for parents not to suspect.

So sad.....

Same goes for sex.

So better that kids are aware, whichever way suits you, about the consequences/complications/ramifications of sex that to not be.

Time out - love and peace to all

Angry M Angry

Anuradha

IF-Veteran Member

Anuradha

Retro Podcast Team

Posted: 14 May 2008 at 4:14am | IP Logged
Moderator's Note:

After going through the whole thread, the Dev Team has come to a conclusion that the discussion on such topics is not appropriate considering that the forum members cater from the age of 13.. Please do not open topics that discusses any kind of adult content.. The rule of the forum says that no adult content will be allowed and is strictly followed in any section of the forum.. So, please do not make posts that are not appropriate for discussion in the forum.. Closing this topic now..

Topic Closed

DM Dev Team

Post Reply New Post

Go to top