Post Reply New Post

Page 11 of 12

qwertyesque

IF-Rockerz

qwertyesque

Posted: 13 May 2008 at 6:51pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by return_to_hades

Originally posted by chatbuster

by de-tabooing sex, we also simultaneously make it seem more casual. not what we shld be pitching. cant simply be talking pen*s language on one hand and be telling kids about the need to be careful about sex on the other. the two different messages are inconsistent which is why kids are left even more confused and worse off for it.Smile

Penis, vagina whatever. They are parts of the body just like arms, legs, eyes, ears, nose, teeth etc. The point is to inform kids about all parts equally and how to care for it.

How about this teaching left to the parents..... some people teach their kids to brush twice, some once.. some never.. its as good as that...Smileand all parts are not equal...!!!!! you dont have to cover your arms, legs eyes, ears nose and throat..while romping down the street but the first need to be covered unless somebody wants to continue with this debate and drive the point with the local police...in a jail or so...LOLLOL

Edited by qwertyesque - 13 May 2008 at 7:06pm

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "sex education in schools? (Page 11)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

chatbuster

IF-Rockerz

chatbuster

Deactivated on request

Posted: 13 May 2008 at 7:03pm | IP Logged

by de-tabooing sex, we also simultaneously make it seem more casual. not what we shld be pitching. cant simply be talking pen*s language on one hand and be telling kids about the need to be careful about sex on the other. the two different messages are inconsistent which is why kids are left even more confused and worse off for it.Smile

Penis, vagina whatever. They are parts of the body just like arms, legs, eyes, ears, nose, teeth etc. The point is to inform kids about all parts equally and how to care for it.

and my point is that we trivialize things when we think of all these parts in the kind of mechanical fashion suggested. if they were just normal parts, women wldnt bother spending a bundle on exotic lingerie trying to hide certain parts in exciting ways. they'd be walking around nude. sex wld be just something that the body needs. casual. as boring as the oter bodily functions. no biggie. so u see, there are parts and then there are parts and the parts we are talking about are the parts that make the world go around.WinkSmile

chatbuster

IF-Rockerz

chatbuster

Deactivated on request

Posted: 13 May 2008 at 7:08pm | IP Logged

I think you are reading this in the wrong context. It is not about getting rid of jealousy. Jealousy will always be there and not just with physical development, just basic popularity, grades, activities etc.

Jealous insecurities are more of a problem. Kids develop a complex confused why they are not physically developing. Other kids may make them feel that they are abnormal. Kids may feign sexual attractions etc to fit in with the crowd. Learning about the body avoids complexes as kids learn that different kids grow differently. They will not feel out of place or abnormal as they better understand how humans develop. They stop trying to fit in ways that are uncomfortable by understanding and accepting their bodies growth.

Sure a girl will feel jealous when her friend attracts all her guys. But teaching that girl to understand and respect the way her body grows keeps her from losing confidence, developing complexes and insecurities and helps her fit in with her friends who are racing into puberty.

if your entire rationale for having SE revolves around removing insecurities for those gals who are lagging in puberty, then i'd again say it's not good enuff. insecurities only increase with age. even adults are insecure. a couple of years at most when a gal might be underdeveloped relative to her peers is no biggie. it's probably good preparation for the insecurities most people have to deal with as adults. good character-builderWinkSmile

lighthouse

IF-Dazzler

lighthouse

Posted: 13 May 2008 at 7:25pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by qwertyesque

Sure a girl will feel jealous when her friend attracts all her guys. But teaching that girl to understand and respect the way her body grows keeps her from losing confidence, developing complexes and insecurities and helps her fit in with her friends who are racing into puberty.

If only education could lead us to that level of understanding I think the world would be full of emancipated sages!!!!!!LOLLOL

You cant blame education because some people are obviously immune and completely unaffected by it.

LOL LOL Underlined part is too funny..!!! RTH, Surely you don't believe that teaching kids or adults for that matter about lack of their physical development or their body type removes insecurities and magically transforms them into confident people.Tongue .I think all those women who go for breast augmentation should stop wasting their money and go to some confidence augmentation lecture instead.Wink

chatbuster

IF-Rockerz

chatbuster

Deactivated on request

Posted: 13 May 2008 at 7:39pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by lighthouse

If only education could lead us to that level of understanding I think the world would be full of emancipated sages!!!!!!LOLLOL

You cant blame education because some people are obviously immune and completely unaffected by it.

LOL LOL Underlined part is too funny..!!! RTH, Surely you don't believe that teaching kids or adults for that matter about lack of their physical development or their body type removes insecurities and magically transforms them into confident people.Tongue .I think all those women who go for breast augmentation should stop wasting their money and go to some confidence augmentation lecture instead.Wink

good one. actually if lack of SE leads women to feel insecure enuff to go for breast augmentation, then that's another strike against SE. they shld all be so insecureLOL

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 13 May 2008 at 7:49pm | IP Logged
Surely I would have expected a woman to understand and empathize more with what it feels like for some girls through the growing pains. There is the flip side of early developmental too. However, there really is no point discussing these matters where there clearly is a gap on the very basics of what is essential for growing teens.

I wish you luck raising your kids.

Peace Out!

lighthouse

IF-Dazzler

lighthouse

Posted: 13 May 2008 at 7:57pm | IP Logged

^^ also i think u guys are taking what Lighty said out of context.

for instance, we sure can "trust" the kids who are into the kind of sex that rth mentioned to get all the information they want from the net. i mean if they are already into that stuff, then the net is probably as good a place as any for additional info. meanwhile, by keeping certain AP-class information off the heavy course load LOL , it spares the other kids from getting exposed to this info unnecessarily. it shld be on a need-to-know basis. Tongue not some hammer we use to drill it into every kid.

That is where you are wrong. Kids will be exposed. Whether you prevent it or not, even if you ban sex education ; kids will be kids and will be exposed to all sorts of information about sex and sexuality from peers, media etc. We need to ensure that there is a resource helping kids filter the information, know the facts and protect them from messing up their lives due to bad information.

They needn't be exposed - that's what ratings are for.. thast what internet security is for.. thats what keeping a close watch on his company is whats all about..!!!! the biggest cause for children going astray is not lack of education - its almost always neglect or dereliction....Smile - in fact is they have access to the evil company of unrated tv, internet and friends.. this SE is going to be just a accelerator for more information... many a times in life ignorance is bliss and we have to leave it that way...Smile

Well said Qwertoo.Smile.Exactly what my thoughts while driving home this evening.

There aren't many things left for kids to discover by themselves in current times with over protective, paranoid and helicopter parents with enough disposable income to provide for everything before kid even asks for it and overwhelm them with rules and information on how to do things right. We want to shield kids from slightest bit of danger, pain or discomfort and all of the lessons life when unscripted teaches. Parental hyperconcern have net effect of making kids more fragile. Together with parental values and whatever the kid learns in the biology class is enough of SE.

Edited by lighthouse - 13 May 2008 at 8:01pm

lighthouse

IF-Dazzler

lighthouse

Posted: 13 May 2008 at 8:13pm | IP Logged

Surely I would have expected a woman to understand and empathize more with what it feels like for some girls through the growing pains. There is the flip side of early developmental too. However, there really is no point discussing these matters where there clearly is a gap on the very basics of what is essential for growing teens.

I wish you luck raising your kids.

Peace Out!

I think you are making big deal out of something which when viewed against lifes never ending list of growing pains seems as not one of the biggest problem to have. People grow out of lot more than teenage growing pains. my views on this shouldn't have to be different than what they are because of my gender. Hyperconcern on any one thing leads to wimpyness and paranoia.

Peace Sarina and nice debating with you.Smile

Post Reply New Post

Go to top