•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 15 years ago

Overall, I like Kareena Kapoor: Darsheel Safary

The Taare Zameen Par scene-stealer speaks to Subhash K Jha.

Though he's 11 and blissfully well-adjusted in his family of mom dad sister school studies and play, Darsheel Safary effortlessly plays a 9-year old sullen bewildered dyslexic in Aamir Khan's national favourite Taare Zameen Par (TZP).

In real, Darsheel is just another brat trying to come to terms with being called a super-actor and the best debutant of 2007. He shows super-confidence as he talks about his role, the film and of course Aamir Khan.

Darsheel, you must be tired of all the praise.
No! In fact you're the first guy to be asking me this.

So how does it feel?
Nice, very nice. (chuckles).

How did manage to play such a mixed-up little boy
You mean how did I act? I didn't do anything special to play Ishaan (the character in TZP). I've been taking elocution classes. There we sing, act and say dialogues.

And I've been attending Shiamak Uncle's dance classes. But we didn't act out there. I was not scared of acting in Aamir Uncle's film.

Did you know what you were getting into?
My parents didn't know anything about the film industry. They made inquiries and then we accepted the offer.

What kind of response are you getting?
Everyone is saying, I'm amazing amazing amazing….

What are the friends in your building saying?
I don't have any friends in my building.

What about your friends in school?
Right now we've vacation. So I'm not in touch with my friends. I didn't call them for the movie because they're all gone here and there. I'll ask them how they liked me when school reopens.

Do you feel like a star?
Ummmmm….I think so. I had so much fun with my co-stars. You know what? (excitedly) At night after shooting was wrapped up I'd party with my costars Tanay Cheda and Sanchet Engineer (who play Darsheel's best friend and brother, respectively).

The other kids had to sleep at 9 pm. But the three of us partied till 3 am. Aamir Uncle used to get very angry the next morning.

How was it working with Aamir?
I had so much fun! He isn't at all proud. He's down-to-earth. He doesn't behave like a big star.

How did the role come to you?
See, one uncle came to Shiamak Davar's school and saw me there. They said, let's let's try this boy out. Then at audition Aamir Uncle really liked me. That's how I got the film.

The whole story revolves around you!
Correct. But I wasn't scared at all. I was mentally prepared. I knew my character was going through problems. But I didn't know what dyslexia was. When I saw the script and read it I wondered what it was.

You read the whole script?
Ya! There were days when we just practiced our scenes with Aamir Uncle, Tanay and Sanchet. While rehearsing I got to know what dyslexia is.

And do you like your character Ishaan have a problems at school?
No no no…I've faced none of Ishaan's problems. But I'd like to tell you that all those expressions are mine.

So do you want to be an actor when you grow up?
I'll decide when I grow up. Right now I don't know whether I want to be an actor. Now I just want to study. No more movies for me. Half the day I'm doing my homework and going to school. But (his voice brightens) if I get an offer with Hrithik Roshan I'll do it.

You're Hrithik's fan?
I'm a HUGE Hrithik Roshan fan. (adds diplomatically) I also like Shah Rukh and Aamir.

And actresses?
Overall, I like Kareena Kapoor. But for acting I like Rani Mukherjee. And for (facial) expressions I like Aishwarya Rai.

And how do you rate yourself?
Nice very nice. I liked myself. My 6-year old sister cried when she saw the teachers beating me up in the film.

Your sister is a baby.
No she isn't a baby!

So are you.
(haughtily) I am not a baby, okay?

What 's your one wish ?
To act with Hrithik Roshan. Aamir Uncle told me he has seen my film.