Debate Mansion

India-Forums

Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

looks or attitude what is more imp.? (Page 9)

qwertyesque IF-Rockerz
qwertyesque
qwertyesque

Posted: 09 May 2008 at 10:33am | IP Logged
Guys and gals.. .now we are talking about possible corrective actions one can take with their short-comings!!!???

The topic was looks or attitude.. and I think its looks first then attitude.. If you dont have looks you cant have attitude...or atleast people wont acknowledge that even if you have one..

The changes in attitude people talk about are related to adaptibilty which is more like getting around situations and being condusive with people for interpersonal communications...more like gelling... that attitude is different from one we really call the "attitude"

lighthouse IF-Dazzler
lighthouse
lighthouse

Posted: 09 May 2008 at 10:50am | IP Logged

Originally posted by qwertyesque

The changes in attitude people talk about are related to adaptibilty which is more like getting around situations and being condusive with people for interpersonal communications...more like gelling... that attitude is different from one we really call the "attitude"

I was getting my thoughts together and saw your post which said the same thing.!!!  Looks do matter before attitude can be seen or observed. A beautiful person does not have to convince anyone about her beauty and there in lies the major difference between attiutude and looks.

For example Ash and Srk, beauty and attitude personafied respectively,  equaly famous and successfull ppl in their own right, were to meet complete strangers or westerners who have no idea about them, I bet most will pick Ash.  I think that was what the topic starter was asking , why beautiful ppl are picked over the ones lacking beauty.  

Edited by lighthouse - 09 May 2008 at 10:51am
chatbuster IF-Rockerz
chatbuster
chatbuster

Deactivated on request

Posted: 09 May 2008 at 10:55am | IP Logged
some of the discussion here reminds me of the following joke for a lot of reasons.

---------------------------

The American investment banker was at the pier of a small coastal Mexican village when a small boat with just one fisherman docked. Inside the small boat were several large yellow fin tuna. The American complimented the Mexican on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took to catch them.

The Mexican replied, "Only a little while."

The American then asked, "Why didn't you stay out longer and catch more fish?"

The Mexican said, "With this I have more than enough to support my family's needs."

The American then asked, "But what do you do with the rest of your time?"

The Mexican fisherman said, "I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take siesta with my wife, Maria, stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine and play guitar with my amigos, I have a full and busy life."

The American scoffed, "I am a Harvard MBA and could help you. You should spend more time fishing; and with the proceeds, buy a bigger boat: With the proceeds from the bigger boat you could buy several boats. Eventually you would have a fleet of fishing boats. Instead of selling your catch to a middleman you would sell directly to the processor; eventually opening your own cannery. You would control the product, processing and distribution. You would need to leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City, then Los Angeles and eventually New York where you will run your ever-expanding enterprise."

The Mexican fisherman asked, "But, how long will this all take?"

To which the American replied, "15 to 20 years."

"But what then?" asked the Mexican.

The American laughed and said that's the best part. "When the time is right you would announce an IPO and sell your company stock to the public and become very rich, you would make millions."

"Millions?...Then what?"

The American said, "Then you would retire. Move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take siesta with your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos."

----------------

personally, i like the fisherman's laid-back attitude more. but for some reason, i dont think the gals wld dig him too much if it were for real, all the arguments notwithstanding Wink
Gauri_3 IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 09 May 2008 at 11:00am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.
qwertyesque IF-Rockerz
qwertyesque
qwertyesque

Posted: 09 May 2008 at 5:38pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Gauri_3

Originally posted by qwertyesque

Guys and gals.. .now we are talking about possible corrective actions one can take with their short-comings!!!???

The topic was looks or attitude.. and I think its looks first then attitude.. If you dont have looks you cant have attitude...or atleast people wont acknowledge that even if you have one..

on bolded black part, I did say that looks are like marketing tools.  Good to hook someone in the beginning.  Whether the relationship will click in the long run is mostly based on attitude. looks cant be compensated by attitude.. unless the person turns blind .....LOL

Red part, I do not agree qwerts.  Looks may help someone in feeling self confidence but there are other factors too that help building the right attitude like one's education and upbringing.  Again you are missing attitude as I have differentiated above...Of course, for me, if someone has all but lacks the right attitude - everything else is irrelevant then.true but the attitude associated with looks is not the same associated with being friendly, congenial or successful....Smile

I acknowledge what's right attitude for me may be wrong for someone else.  Heck, even same individual perceives same attitude differently on different occassions.  Therefore one should look for the attitude that gels with theirs as well.  Naheen toh baad mein problems hotey hain.  If one goes blindly by looks then what does one do if due to some mishap those looks are not there anymore.  Koi accident ho gaya ya phir the looker is careless with their looks and they faded overtime...this happens a lot within our desi scenario...i mean A LOT.  What's left then if looks was the sole criteria. If looks fade or the looks are deformed generally that person will no longer have this criteria.. the point is these definitions dont define a life time - but the current scenario.. if a girl who looks veri stunning is after all her success is seen to be a guy who had had transgender operation...Does teh beauty reduce no but does it mean continue to apply the same criteria - no since mostly these criteria dont take into account operations, other artificial things.. its supposed to be the inherent req.. So beauty lies in the eyes... doesnt apply here.. its more a reason for how odd looking couples are seen moving around.. its a post mortem and not a deduction...LOL

I know you are saying looks first and next is attitude and I agree with this.  What I don't agree is "only looks" true.. but the thing is looks will give an attitude.. which is important...

I was asked to pick one side only and not hedge.  If it's between "only looks" and "only attitude" then it's attitude for me.

You want to read my exact thoughts then please visit my very first post on the very first page.  I chose one over the other because I was asked to for debate's sake. 

Peace - GauriSmile.....Smile

Gauri_3 IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 09 May 2008 at 6:46pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.
Anuradha IF-Sizzlerz
Anuradha
Anuradha

Posted: 11 May 2008 at 8:50am | IP Logged
Just one question to all of you here:

How do you judge a person when you interact with them virtually?? Is it by looks?? If so how do you know how the other person looks?? Smile

How will a blind person judge the other?? Is it by looks??

How does one get selected through telephonic interview?? Is it by looks??

what do you think looks can do?? If you find one fine day that Im really ugly, then wl u stop talking to me?? Smile
SholaJoBhadkey IF-Dazzler
SholaJoBhadkey
SholaJoBhadkey

Posted: 11 May 2008 at 8:58am | IP Logged

Originally posted by bluelagoon

Looks are most definitely more important. Very often, the person who is more physically beautiful will also feel more beautiful inside her. Attitude is a two-edged sword. It can cut both ways, hurting us at times, making us happy at others. In addition, we cannot be sure of a person's attitude staying the same. Smile

And we can be sure of the person's looks staying the same???

Go to top