Debate Mansion

India-Forums

Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

looks or attitude what is more imp.? (Page 23)

raj5000 IF-Sizzlerz
raj5000
raj5000

Posted: 16 May 2008 at 4:50pm | IP Logged

^^^^yeah what did you do? this post is becoming more to do with hard work then looks/attitude... I found the responses of LH/CB in archive...let me post it here

Originally posted by lighthouse

**This post was edited by Raj5000**

Nicely put CB. Smile 

Ok G I find it odd to prove my point by refering someone to the article which has opinions and not facts from people we have never heard of.  Since you insist here is one from economist.com , very reputable and widely read magazine reporting on cold hard facts of beauty business.  The point to note is people spend more on beauty than education or any other self improvement system.

The beauty business

May 22nd 2003
From The Economist print edition

MEDIEVAL noblewomen swallowed arsenic and dabbed on bats' blood to improve their complexions; 18th-century Americans prized the warm urine of young boys to erase their freckles; Victorian ladies removed their ribs to give themselves a wasp waist. The desire to be beautiful is as old as civilisation, as is the pain that it can cause. In his autobiography, Charles Darwin noted a "universal passion for adornment", often involving "wonderfully great" suffering.

The pain has not stopped the passion from creating a $160 billion-a-year global industry, encompassing make-up, skin and hair care, fragrances, cosmetic surgery, health clubs and diet pills. Americans spend more each year on beauty than they do on education. Such spending is not mere vanity. Being pretty—or just not ugly—confers enormous genetic and social advantages. Attractive people (both men and women) are judged to be more intelligent and better in bed; they earn more, and they are more likely to marry. http://www.economist.com/printedition/displayStory.cfm?Story _ID=1795852

AND Then CB's

Originally posted by chatbuster

there's attitude and then there's aptitude. Wink

now, let's have a basic run-down.

doctors- want someone with an attitude? what attitude? killer attitude? LOL
wife- want someone with an attitude? nakhre wali, matakne wali yaa kosne wali? some like it hot, some like it cold. Wink
model- want someone with an attitude? again, what attitude? temper-tantrums phekne wali?
hostess- want someone with an attitude?

reverse the above for looks and see what u get.

lol, now u will tell me, u want the person with the right attitude. but that my friend is a commodity that is very hard to define and correctly perceive, which changes more with the season and with one's moods than looks. one instant we might like a laid-back person, next an aggressive person. part-time angel, part-time devil. very little constancy and unambiguity there.

personally, i just might be able to withstand being married to the same gorgeous female all my life LOL , but i sure cant see how i cld stick to her if she had attitude. Smile

Originally posted by raj5000

Thats negative attitude or emotional imbalance, as per original poster we were seeing he positive side of it like attitude to be go getter or attitude to make it big .. not that of type to pour coffee over someone's head kind of atti. LOL Like it was sed looks are important... it implies..it's good looks (positive side)

edit - i lost my response, so had to retype

Edited by raj5000 - 16 May 2008 at 5:03pm

Gauri_3 IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 16 May 2008 at 4:54pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.
raj5000 IF-Sizzlerz
raj5000
raj5000

Posted: 16 May 2008 at 5:40pm | IP Logged
Moderator's Note:

REMINDER!!

There have been too many reported posts and complaints in the recent weeks about sarcastic posts. Such posts have triggered quite a bit of indirect or direct mudslinging attacks disrupting the flow of the debates and have created bad vibes in the section. Sarcasm per se, is not bad but overuse or misuse of it surely has the capacity to ruin a good debate and affect the environment.

Topics are for healthy debating, state your points clearly with proper reasoning and restrain from resorting to any sarcasm to drive home a point. We will not tolerate it any more. If anyone is found making sarcastic posts, instigatory posts, retaliatory posts, getting personal, attacking another member directly or indirectly, strict action will be taken against such members. Please take this as the final warning! If you find any such posts, DO NOT try to give a fitting reply, or try being the moral police, but simply "REPORT" it.

Let us take the necessary action.

Please help us in keeping the section positive, friendly and welcoming.

Regards
DM Dev Team
lighthouse IF-Dazzler
lighthouse
lighthouse

Posted: 16 May 2008 at 9:02pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by Gauri_3

Don't know what went wrong with previous response I posted. My response is not showing there and I do not see other people's posts as well Confused

Lighty, I read your article and here's the essence of what I wrote before the page crashed on me:

Where does your article say that beauty/looks are more important than attitude? It says people are spending more on cosmetics than education. It does not say thgat people are spending on cosmetics instead of education. Most people will shop for cosmetics once their basic needs are met. Education, now a days, is one of the basic needs. They will spend on education first and then on cosmetic....eve if they end up spending more on cosmetics.

G. The report contains statistical information and needs to be read accordingly not the way you are interpreting. I assumed you knew that much. Its per capita expenditure , not on individual basis ok which means education expenditure is less than $160b figure of beauty business.  according to US census 2/3 of population is under 44 and 1/3 under 17 so you can do the math on how much should be education expenditure. People can say whatever they want about beauty not being paramount, but the proof is in the solid numbers of beauty industry. Smile

Article says attractive people get paid more...it doesn't say they get paid based on looks only. All else equal, attractive people will earn more...key is ALL ELSE EQUAL
 Finally you see it!!!!!!! we have been saying the same thing using same words from page 1...LOL repeated many times also ...Tongue But you never mentioned it before..

Please revisit my articles. They clearly show what people prefer. Pretty much all had personality or intellect up there along with some other features. Inner beauty lasts far longer than just the outer beauty.
People can say whatever, the fact is vanity/beauty is a huge mega business, numbers prove that and that is where it is. It is all about packaging, can't have inner beauty and not worry about exterior beauty. If that were the case, we would have personal development mega malls not retail malls selling latest fashion clothes jewelry and beauty products.Tongue  

No hedging allowed now yaar. Pick either "only" looks or "only" attitude. Prove how outer beauty is better than the inner beauty in the long run for sustaining a relationship Smile  Huh? so now you are changing the premise of the debate and drive the debate . ok if it makes you happy,  no attitude is better than bad attitude but you can't say the same about beauty because ther is no such thign as bad beauty.Smile

Edited by lighthouse - 16 May 2008 at 9:04pm
Gauri_3 IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 16 May 2008 at 9:29pm | IP Logged

Gauri_3 IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 16 May 2008 at 9:31pm | IP Logged

Gauri_3 IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 16 May 2008 at 9:32pm | IP Logged

Gauri_3 IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 16 May 2008 at 9:34pm | IP Logged

Go to top