Surya's six packs create sensation

Dits thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/India_Buzz/Power_packed_/ articleshow/3007709.cms

'Abs'olutely great: Surya. (TOI Photo)

You just have to hand it over to Surya. That this guy could essay all kinds of role and get into the soul of any character he played, we all knew.

But could you ever have imagined his bronzed body highlighted with rippling muscles, bulging biceps, terrific triceps and six-pack abs? Not possible, you say? Well, what do you know.

Surya is indeed showing off a whole new body. Move over SRK and Sly Stallone, Surya's the new guy on the block with the hottest body this season.

Surya's beefcake look has everything to do with his getting into the skin of his character for Gautham Vasudev Menon's Vaaranam Aayiram. And before you can say dumbbells, you realise Surya's never looked this fit before with his Ramboesque chiseled abs. Speaking to Chennai Times at his well-equipped personal gym, the actor, thrilled with his image makeover, says "It took a lot of hard work and sweat, nearly four months of a controlled diet and workouts to build my six-pack abs. No pumping steroids or popping pills for me. I am proud of it."

Since the film demanded that Surya look this fit and muscular, the actor got into the act right away. "A mean and macho look is necessary in the second half of the film, where there are a lot of action scenes.

After discussing with Gautham, I decided to go for this look to make my role, in which my character ages from 16 to 64, look convincing. ."

It was around this time that he bumped into Aamir Khan, who is doing Surya's Ghajini remake in Hindi. Khan advised that Surya go for a trainer and be "systematic and devoted" to this body-building commitment.

"In Mumbai, I got introduced to Alkhas, who was recommended by Aamir, and decided to give him a try. He came down to Chennai and monitored my diet and workouts from middle of December, at a time when I had the thin pencil like look for my character's younger days. In the beginning it was difficult, what with my busy shooting schedule, but slowly I got used to it and even started liking it," says the actor with a chuckle.

Surya was forced to follow a very strict diet. The actor feels he was successful in losing 10kg because he followed his diet regime religiously and did not touch any rich oily food or carbohydrates like white rice, pastries, sweets, white bread or red meat.
He combined his diet with workouts and exercises, such as crunches and leg lifts.

One of his close friends had imported some machines which were set up at his gym and he used to do all his exercises there. Alkhas also taught him the importance of cardio workouts and strength training with weights to build muscles, so as to raise metabolism in order to lose weight and burn fat naturally. Added Surya: "The small frequent meals raised my metabolism and helped me build lean muscle mass. I' m glad I took fitness seriously, because as a hero who does action scenes, I have to look convincing on screen."

The only thing he missed was his frequent eating-out with his lovely wife Jyothika. Says Surya with a tinge of sadness: "Jo and I are foodies, I miss my mom's homemade food the most. Jo does not like to go out with me, because I don't touch the food we order. Earlier, we always used to share her favourite dessert brownie with vanilla ice-cream at the end of the meal."
However Surya can take heart that he will be the only hero in Kollywood with a six-pack abs. According to a survey conducted recently, most women consider six-pack abs as the most attractive part of Hollywood and Bollywood hunks.

Today more than half a dozen Bollywood stars are working on their abs, including guys like Shahid Kapoor, who says, " Sexy muscle is a symbol of a fit andhealthy man". As Surya concludes- " I have started liking this look and will maintain it for my next film Ayan. Initially it took a while for the idea to sink in, but now I'm comfortable with my new look." Surya's rippling six-pack abs will create a new trend in the male- dominated Kollywood, where physical looks hardly mattered till now.

I'll say nothing other than*faint'*faint*'faint*!!!!!!!πŸ€ͺ

He looks a lot better than SRK, who resembled the skeleton tht is placed in my school's science labπŸ˜†

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

jenim thumbnail

WOW!
Thanks Ditty.

OMG.. that's Surya? *swoon*

"Jo and I are foodies, I miss my mom's homemade food the most. Jo does not like to go out with me, because I don't touch the food we order. Earlier, we always used to share her favourite dessert brownie with vanilla ice-cream at the end of the meal."

Hopefully, that did some good to her as well..
Or may be that  she's eating the brownie-vanilla icecream all by herself and gaining some more. πŸ˜†

Edited by jenim - 15 years ago
jigglypuff726 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: ditty

Earlier, we always used to share her favourite dessert brownie with vanilla ice-cream at the end of the meal."

awww.. that's about the sweetest thing i've ever heard. surya & jothika are really a loving couple.

anyways, i've got mixed reactions about surya's new look. i don't see what's the deal with 6 pack abs now. most men look better before they start trying to become beefcakes.πŸ˜‰ surya however can carry off the muscled look to a certain extent, definitely much better than shah rukh.πŸ˜›

call me weird but i don't feel any different looking at surya in this new avatar. maybe it's cos i just never found surya physically appealing. god.. i'm weird aren't i?πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

er.. according to a survey, most women find six pack abs the most appealing among hollywood & bollywood men? i personally think a man's eyes & smile are the most appealing. i think that should explain my lack of interest in men with six packs.πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

Edited by jigglypuff726 - 15 years ago
jenim thumbnail
Jiggs.. to me personally, it's the eyes and then good looks. And then the six pack ab, would be a bonus.

Imagine some one like Vijay with a 6 pack? Any good?
BTW, Vijay bares his so-called "abs" in that Namitha song in ATM. He just looked starved with that skinny "otti pona" tummy... that was such a pitiful thing to watch. πŸ˜†

jenim thumbnail
Ollikuchi Dhanush seems to be working hard on building his muscles. Was that in Polladhavan? I was really surprised that he even got that much to show off!

It's not an easy task, I was trying ab-work for months and it needs lot more than the usual cardio work. It is really very hard to get there with the kind of abs that we watch in movies.

Dhanush seems to be on a rich diet b'cos his problem is that his metabolism is in full swing. But I was really impressed when I read his/his trainer's interview where they were talking about his diet and his exercise pattern. Some Kolly folks are working really hard on their body and that's not easy at all.. We need to give them what's due πŸ‘

jigglypuff726 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

vijay is like shah rukh khan. six packs don't usually look good on men with lanky builds. these guys will come off looking like silly wannabes.πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

omg jenim.. don't even remind me of the namitha song in ATM where vijay attempted to be 'sexy'. he looked really ridiculous trying to show off his nonexistent abs.πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜† i don't get why he wanted to take his shirt off when all he has to do is to smile. vijay has a smile that lights up even the darkest room, wonder why he didn't utilise that in the song?

i think men like george clooney, timothy dalton & keanu reeves are good examples of men who can give those six pack beefcakes a real run for their money without even undoing a button on their shirt.πŸ˜› i find men like that more appealing. it's their eyes that make them sexy. i would rather drool over them than shah rukh khan, hrithik or this new surya.😊

Aahaana thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
😲 😲 Surya with a sixpack?? faint..faint... πŸ˜†

I donno why...but that pic above..looks like a kind of manipulated pic at first for me... πŸ€”

Cant wait to see him on VA 😳 Its always the smile and innocent face of him that make me drool over him..so 6pack will just be a extra bonus πŸ˜›

Leena - agreed with u on ur last comments about Clooney and Reeves πŸ˜ƒ I dont like men who shows up their sic packs..its just so 🀒

kadhambari thumbnail

Originally posted by: meli

😲 😲 Surya with a sixpack?? faint..faint... πŸ˜† Same expressions from me too

I donno why...but that pic above..looks like a kind of manipulated pic at first for me... πŸ€” Ada idhaiye thaan naanum ninaichen,infact his face is  different,i dunknow YπŸ˜•

Cant wait to see him on VA 😳 Its always the smile and innocent face of him that make me drool over him..so 6pack will just be a extra bonus πŸ˜› me tooπŸ˜›πŸ˜›

Leena - agreed with u on ur last comments about Clooney and Reeves πŸ˜ƒ I dont like men who shows up their sic packs..its just so 🀒 SS 🀒

netra_rama thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Thanks for the info ditty.... πŸ˜ƒ
Dits thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Honestly, I've never been a fan of six packs,and I particularly hated it after watching SRK's Dard-e disco 🀒 , but 'Surya' in a six pack, and tht too for the first time in Kollywood caught my interest again!

BTw, it is tought to beleive tht Vikram, whom I consider as the musle man in Kollywood has never had a six pack-not even for Anniyan? πŸ˜•

Jenim- you decide;here's a latest pic of Jo πŸ˜‰

Edited by ditty - 15 years ago