Ramayan
Ramayan

DOTW Urmila Mandavi Shrutkirti --Story

Shruti11 IF-Sizzlerz
Shruti11
Shruti11

Posted: 03 May 2008 at 4:40am | IP Logged
ok i m back with others characters
u will found very less info about Urmila ,Mandavi and Shrutkirti but they play imp role in ramayan  pls discuss about there sacrifise and life .

Dasharath had daughters-in-law who were real gems.

the mighty bow of Shiv was picked up with great ease by Ram and broke as soon as he touched it. Sita put the varmala around Rama neck accepting him as the chosen groom. Laxman was married to Sita sister Urmila. The two brothers Bharat and Shatrughan were wedded to Mandavi and Shrutkirti, the daughters of Janak brother Kushadhvaja

As they sat on the dais, they would not rise their eyes look around or even look at each other. They attentively followed and obeyed the priest directions but kept their eyes lowered in modesty and dignity.

Even when Janak offered Ram Sita hand with his benedictions, Ram did not look at her. This is because Sita would become his wife only after he fill her mang with "Sindoor". Even rest of Ram brother and Sita sister follow same thing .Such was the strict discipline and control exercised in those days.

At the time of the garlanding ceremony, the brothers waited to garland their brides until Ram garlanded Sita. Similarly, the sisters waited till Sita garlanded Ram.

The four sisters were not far behind their husbands when it came to setting model standards in honour and dignity

URMILA
Other names- Oormila,

To be a woman of character.Great scholar and Talented painter

when Laxman went to Urmila and told her that he was going to the forest to serve Ram and Sita.when she asked Laxman to take her to the forest laxman explained her that he will be going there to serve Ram and Sita and he cannot take Urmila with him. So she wisely decided to stay back so that under no circumstances would Laxman be distracted from his service. She even extracted a promise from her husband that he would cease to think or worry about her and instead concentrate on looking after the welfare of Ram and Sita. Hence, she gave the courage to her husband and sent him with her full support. She live up to her role of being a "Dharampatni"  by helping her husband tread the path of righteousness.

At the time of the battle, when Lakshman swooned,At that time, Hanuman came up to Ram. Ram told him, "Brother! You must come to my assistance in My hour of need. Though your dedication and devotion are well known, I still ask of you this favour. You must go and bring me the Sanjeevani plant." He promptly left, but ,unable to identify the plant, he uprooted the entire mountain and carried it to Lanka. As he was flying over Ayodhya, Bharat spotted him. Bharat was getting regular reports from the forest that the demons were troubling Ram. Bharat .He promptly left, but ,unable to identify the plant, he uprooted the entire mountain and carried it to Lanka. As he was flying over Ayodhya, Bharat spotted him. Bharat was getting regular reports from the forest that the demons were troubling Ram. Bharat promptly suspected this huge figure to be a rakshasa (demon) who intended serious harm to Ram. He took out his bow and shot at Hanuman.a promptly suspected this huge figure to be a rakshasa (demon) who intended serious harm to Ram. He took out his bow and shot at Hanuman.

Hanuman alighted, along with the mountain. Paying his respects to Bharat, he said, "Oh! King! Lakshman has fainted on the battlefield. I am taking this mountain containing the Sanjeevani herb to revive him. I don't know where the herb is on this mountain. Hence, in order to carry out Ram command, I am taking away the entire mountain."

Bharatha was ecstatic at this news. He sent word for mother Kausalya , Sumitra and Urmila

Hanuman then conveyed the news of Lakshman fainting to Lakshman wife, Urmila.Bharat approached her and broke the news. He said, "Lakshman life is in danger. I am at a loss for words and don't know what to do."

Urmila didn't show a trace of fear or worry. She said, "My husband's heart is filled with the name of Ram Therefore, he is perhaps sleeping peacefully. All the pain and suffering must be only Ram. No danger can befall my husband. He will always remain safe."

Urmila lived"VANAPRASTHA"life in palace. Urmila sacrifise for her husband was the actual Tapasya which make Laxman so strong that he was able to kill  "Indrajeet MEGHNATH" who was strong because of his wife satitva but Urmila sacrifise was so strong that Laxman become the strongest and killed "Indrajeet MEGHNATH" who was stronger than Ravan.

in one version of Ramayana

Fourteen years later, when Ram has been successfully reinstated on the throne and Laksman is serving him at the court, Sita reminds Ram that Laksman should be advised to go visit his wife, who is still suffering to meet his husband. When Laksman goes to Urmila bedroom . Urmila does not recognize him, however, and thinks that a stranger has entered her bedchamber. She questions him, warning him about the sin of desiring another man's wife.

If my father Janaka comes to know about this,
he will punish you and will not let you get away.
My elder sister and brother-in-law
will not let you escape with your life.
My elder sister's younger brother-in-law
will not let you live on the earth.

(As a proper wife she does not even mention the name of her husband. Instead, she refers to him indirectly)

Laksman gently identifies himself, where upon Urmila realizes that he is none other than her husband and affectionately they embrace each other and then they went to take Kaushlya ,Sumitra ,Kaikey and Ram-Sita blessing.
When they are sent to the bedroom Laksman combs and skillfully braids Urmila hair while Urmila asks him about all the events of the past fourteen years. How could Ravan kidnap Sita when a man like Laksman, courageous as a lion, was present? Laksman relates the story of the golden deer, telling her how Sita spoke harsh words to him and forced him to leave her alone and look after Ram instead and narrate her all the event of 14 years
Lakshmana and Urmila sons were called Angad and Chitraketu.

Urmila was known to be a great scholar and a talented painter.She had spent the entire fourteen years painting the scene of Rama's wedding to Sita.And serving mothers Kaushlya ,Sumitra and Kaikey

Mandavi

Mandavi was the daughter of Kushadvaj, a brother of King Janak of Mithila and hence a cousin of Sita. She was the wife of Bharat.
When Bharat built a tiny ashram at Nandi Grama and remained there, worshipping Ram Lotus Feet.Mandavi also spent her time contemplating Ram name and thus gave support to her husband. Mandavi always stood by Bharat and she lived a "VANAPRASTHA"life like Bharat and serving mothers Kaushlya , Sumitra and Kaikey

Bharat and Mandavi sons were Taksha and Pulkal.

Shrutkirti

Other names- Shrutakirti/Shrutkeerti

Shrutkirti was the daughter of Kushadvaja, a brother of King Janak of Mithila and hence a cousin of Sita. She was the wife of Shatrughan.

Ram representative, Bharat, was on a self-imposed exile at Nandi Grama.
From dawn to dusk, it was Satrughan who stayed at Ayodhya, enquired into the problems of the citizens, and governed the kingdom. By night, he would faithfully report everything to Bharat. Satrughan carried out every aspect of administration of the kingdom. Though he did so much, his name never appears anywhere in literature. Though Satrughna ruled the kingdom on behalf of Bharatha, he could never summon courage to advise his elder brother.

Shrutkirti is character in the Ramayana is extremely noble. It was always her desire to meet her husband at night times, listen to what problems he was facing, and, if possible, lighten his burden by giving him suitable advice. She would never utter words that could harm others. 'Shruta+Kirti', as the name suggests, she would always listen to good only. In turn, she would always speak what was good and propagated that which was pleasant and pleasing to the ear.

Shatrughan and shrutkirti had two sons, Bhupaketu and Subahu

Love and Unity between Sita ,Urmila ,Mandavi and Shrutkirti

When Ram decide to sent Sita to the Exile when she was pregnent .It was Urmila, Mandavi, and Shrutkirti, the wives of Rama three brothers, go to Rama to protest his unfair punishment of Sita .One after another they try to make Ram change his decision and tell him if he know  Sita was not at any fault then why to give her Exile.

Finally, Shrutkirti tells Ram :

We are all born in one family,
married into one family.
Our sister is not the only one
who will suffer.
We all will suffer together
so send all of us together to exile.

(it show love and unity between them)

What we need to recognize here is that, the wives of the four brothers were as virtuous and noble as their husbands. The happiness and prosperity of the husbands was caused by the noble qualities of their wives. The good conduct and good actions of the wives were also responsible. Their character gave their husbands tremendous support.

However, in Ramayana, only Ram and Sita are depicted as the lead characters. Not much importance is given to the other roles in the epic. If Lakshman,Bharat ,Satrughna, Urmila, Mandavi, and Shrutakeerti were not there, the glory of Rama and Sita could not have been highlighted.

Sita Ki RasoiSita Rasoi is situated near north-western corner of Janmasthan in Ramkot wardin Ayodhya. In this temple idols of four brothers Ram, Laxman, Bharat, Shatrughan alongwith their wives Sita, Urmila, Mandavi, Shrutkirti is established. It is believed that after being married with Ram , Sita ji cooked meal for her family for the first time at this very place.

Edited by akhl - 09 May 2008 at 11:26pm

The following 12 member(s) liked the above post:

rishabh06ipshu06Ganess_inRista2samona24Annei123bostanianpriyav-Wishes-HobbitButtdivingdolphin21LeadNitrate

sitakshii IF-Stunnerz
sitakshii
sitakshii

Posted: 03 May 2008 at 5:12am | IP Logged
THANKS A bunch ,i will comment after reading all the info. !!
Shruti11 IF-Sizzlerz
Shruti11
Shruti11

Posted: 03 May 2008 at 5:14am | IP Logged
plss do comment i hope u will like these info
Shruti11 IF-Sizzlerz
Shruti11
Shruti11

Posted: 03 May 2008 at 5:32am | IP Logged
if u like my post then tell me i will post more INFO about other characters so plssss comment
sitakshii IF-Stunnerz
sitakshii
sitakshii

Posted: 03 May 2008 at 6:20am | IP Logged
WOW!! GREAT guns shruti!! Clap

thanks for telling the names of the sons of LAKSHMAN,BHARAT & SHATRUGHANA !!! Tongue

great tht urmila was a scholar & a painter !!wow!! she painted RAM-SITA wedding scenes !!! Tongue

after returning from exile lakshman didnot   see his wife first ,he IMMEDIATELY started serving rama with out seeing his wife after returning from exile, i thought lakshman immediately met his wife urmila after coming from exile !!!

good to know abt mandavi & shrutkirti !!!! too!!

RAM,LAKSHMAN ,BHARAT & SHATUGHANA WERE IDEAL brothers Clap& SITA,URMILA ,SHRUT KIRTI & MANDAVI were ideal sisters !! Clap

interesting to know abt the facts u told abt the marriage ceremony !! Embarrassed

THE SITA RASOI which i saw in CHITRAKOOT & IN BITHOOR were the rasoi of a vanvaasi woman !! only earthen pots /earthen utensils were used by SITAJI & A CHULHA OF MUD !!! was there !! Tongue

but the fact tht u gave abt the royal rasoi of SITAJI is greatttttttttt................... Tongue

shruti !! do keep posting such fabulous & interesting info. abt RAMAYAN !!! Tongue

Edited by sita11 - 03 May 2008 at 6:35am
LeadNitrate IF-Sizzlerz
LeadNitrate
LeadNitrate

Posted: 03 May 2008 at 6:24am | IP Logged

Originally posted by shruti_gauri1

if u like my post then tell me i will post more INFO about other characters so plssss comment

firstly a lot of thanks, let us request the mods toa rchive tehse articles

shruti i have one request: instead of posting info about all together, can you break it in parts and posts, iei the same topic but diff posts?

becomes easier to read that way

and your help and knowledge amazes me, why don't you ask Avinash and post such info as DOTW?

infact i would recommed do edit thsi as DOTW and request avinash to stick it up.

-Wishes- IF-Dazzler
-Wishes-
-Wishes-

Posted: 03 May 2008 at 6:27am | IP Logged
thanks a ton for all the info

its amazing to know all the details

@its me tan: agree with u... make it as DOTW after giving all the info

appreciate the efforts u take Smile
Shruti11 IF-Sizzlerz
Shruti11
Shruti11

Posted: 03 May 2008 at 6:34am | IP Logged
Originally posted by sita11

WOW!! GREAT guns shruti!!

thanks for telling the names of the sons of LAKSHMAN,BHARAT & SHATRUGHANA !!!

great tht urmila was a scholar & a painter !!wow!! she painted RAM-SITA wedding scenes !!!

after returning from exile lakshman didnot   see his wife first ,he IMMEDIATELY started serving rama with out seeing his wife after returning from exile, i thought lakshman immediately met his wife urmila after coming from exile !!!

good to know abt mandavi & sharutkirti !!!! too!!

RAM,LAKSHMAN ,BHARAT & SHATUGHANA WERE IDEAL brothers & SIAT,URMILA ,SHRUT KIRTI & MANDAVI were ideal sisters !!

interesting to know abt the facts u told abt the marriage ceremony !!

THE SITA RASOI which i saw in CHITRAKOOT & IN BITHOOR were the rasoi of a vanvaasi woman !! only earthen pots /earthen utensils were used by SITAJI & A CHULHA OF MUD !!! was there !!

but the fact tht u gave abt the royal rasoi of SITAJI is greatttttttttt...................

shruti !! do keep posting such fabulous & interesting info. abt RAMAYAN !!!

ur welecome
i already posted the linage of raghukul with the kingdom they ruled

yes urmila was a gr8 painter she spent 14 years just painting all he scene os Ram Sita wedding
and yes laxman did not see his wife 1 he first meet all the mothers and brothers and only went to see urmila after ram gave him the permission because he was still serving ram

the utensis that r placed in sita rasoi was used as example plus at that time the chulha was made of mud

and thx for liking my post u tell me which other character u want to know and i will post info about that character right now i m posting character which r shown in serials

Edited by shruti_gauri1 - 03 May 2008 at 6:35am

Go to top