Anybody up for fitness club ? (Page 6)

Post Reply New Post

Page 6 of 10

jenim

Goldie

jenim

Posted: 08 May 2008 at 11:24pm | IP Logged

Ditty..
You said you were only in your 12th grade right? So, you must be 17 or 18? At this age, whatever you say is expected. LOL

Our case is different. When one is 28 PLUS, one most likely has to diet , besides just exercise.
'Cos your metabolism will not be the same. While starving doesn't help anyone, eating in moderation (whether it's breakfast/lunch or dinner) has to be the way.

The time tested way to follow eating in moderation is to eat several times during the day. Split your daily food in such small portions so you don't eat it all during bfast/lunch/dinner. I really wish we can come up with a plan like that. It's very hard to follow, but once you get in the schedule, you'll get used to it. I used to know some people at the gym who used to follow that. I tried, but if I can't have a full lunch box, then I end up getting a head-ache. But there has to be a way.. too bad.. people like us, can't afford those dieticians/trainers who can make it work for us.

Edited by jenim - 08 May 2008 at 11:25pm

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Anybody up for fitness club ? (Page 6)" in Other Topics forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

jenim

Goldie

jenim

Posted: 08 May 2008 at 11:43pm | IP Logged

Madhu..

Once upon a time, when I was going to the gym regularly, I used to hit those machines every other day which focuses on the arms/things/butt area. I will tell you what was very effective for me personally.

For the arms:

Do you go to the gym? In that case, I can tell you what will tone your upper arms. I can't remember its name. The one that you stand and do. You put your arms up, grab the lever down towards you. The more weight you add to the lever, more toned will be your arms. Your arms will look great when you wear sleeveless stuff. lol.

If you don't go to the gym, then you can do these bicep/tricep exercises at home with a dumbbell.
http://exercise.about.com/cs/weightlifting/l/blsamplebicep.h tm
http://exercise.about.com/cs/weightlifting/l/blsampletricep. htm

Butt/Thigh exercise:

This used to be my fav machine in the gym. 'cos it targeted both thighs and butt. Within a couple of weeks, you'll start seeing results. Happened in my case. Too tired to post the image, so pasting the link for the pic.
http://www.safeairfitness.com/Leg-Exercise-machine_2

If doing it at home, "squats" are supposed to help this area. May be, you can try these:
http://exercise.about.com/od/butthipsthighs/tp/butt.htm

Dits

Goldie

Dits

Posted: 09 May 2008 at 3:12am | IP Logged
Originally posted by jenim

Ditty..
You said you were only in your 12th grade right? So, you must be 17 or 18? At this age, whatever you say is expected. LOL

Thts why I started it early enough, Jenim............though I don't know how much of help it'll be when I get prgnant yrs later(wht a thought to be thought, ditty, at 17LOL!), after going thru all wht u ppl have written about pregnancy . Anyway, good results with excercising has satisfied me enough.Lets see how it will be for me!Wink 

Jenim, wht you've said about sit ups surprises me-tht it doesn't do anything for ur tummyConfused. My 47yr old dad relies on tht to keep his tummy in shape. I guess its not the same for ladies who've given birth.

jenim

Goldie

jenim

Posted: 10 May 2008 at 2:30pm | IP Logged

Ditty --

Exercising is always good, regardless of how young you are! Your Mom did the right thing by bringing awareness to you early on. Which most likely will motivate you to continue doing it in adulthood and years to come.
When you exercise now, it will keep you fit. But the pregnancy tummy thing also largely depends on what you eat, when you're pregnant. If you eat the right things during pregnancy (and in right quantity), then you don't have to worry too much about it after the baby. So, even if you prepare a lot before (like now), it is what happens during that matters Wink  Anyways, you probably have a few more years in the least, to worry about these things.

What I meant about the sit-up thingy is - if you already have abdominal fat, love handles etc., the sit-ups don't help. You have to get rid of that by doing cardio work. And then to fix/tighten the ab muscles you can try sit-ups. Exercises like Pilates mostly concentrate on your abs (more aggressively) than sit-ups. IMO, I find it much more harder doing Pilates than sit-ups. But you can see the results sooner, with Pilates.

madumithas

madumithas

Posted: 12 May 2008 at 5:20am | IP Logged
Jenim,

Thank you so much for those tips for amr/butts/thighs.I took a printout fromt and stuck it on my bedroom hoping to do it atleast 3 times a week.

Madhu

Dits

Goldie

Dits

Posted: 12 May 2008 at 7:29am | IP Logged
Originally posted by jenim

Ditty --

Exercising is always good, regardless of how young you are! Your Mom did the right thing by bringing awareness to you early on. Which most likely will motivate you to continue doing it in adulthood and years to come.
When you exercise now, it will keep you fit. But the pregnancy tummy thing also largely depends on what you eat, when you're pregnant. If you eat the right things during pregnancy (and in right quantity), then you don't have to worry too much about it after the baby. So, even if you prepare a lot before (like now), it is what happens during that matters Wink  Anyways, you probably have a few more years in the least, to worry about these things.

What I meant about the sit-up thingy is - if you already have abdominal fat, love handles etc., the sit-ups don't help. You have to get rid of that by doing cardio work. And then to fix/tighten the ab muscles you can try sit-ups. Exercises like Pilates mostly concentrate on your abs (more aggressively) than sit-ups. IMO, I find it much more harder doing Pilates than sit-ups. But you can see the results sooner, with Pilates.

Thanks for the tips, jenimSmileHow many situps or pilates will help? Also, does somebody know how to measure ur waist line.I did yesterday, and at first I got  a123, and then got  a 23 inch.both can't be possibly right!LOL

suram

Goldie

suram

Posted: 13 May 2008 at 2:37pm | IP Logged

OMG!!! I totally missed this thread!!!! Suram Angry

Yenakku romba theyvaiyaana oru thred!!! Love to be a LOSER!!!! As far as this one goes!!! Big smile

Ladies!! Lemme tell you this---I tried to exercise on my own at home with ab machine, treadmill, bike, kick boxing etc...forget it pal...NEVER Works!!!! Coz we get into a mode of " yeah, I'll do it later---lemme finish this work/ call/book/serial/cooking.. and million ohter chores!! And GUESS what...by then its too late and you'll say-- " Oh well what the heck... I'll do it tomorrow!!!..and TOMORROW NEVER COMES...trust me guys!!!

So I decided to get my butt out to the gym!! And believe me it has atleast made me a regular, and I try my best not to skip the workout. It'll be even more fun if you go with friend and like Caryn said, I do get depressed when you see all these slim women ( Sometimes I wonder why they even come to the gym!!!). But on the other hand it makes me more determined!! What motivates me more is that I do see women who are more heavier than me and that motivates me EVEN More!!!

I combine, cardio, weights/resistence, yoga,etc and there is a variety, it eliminates the boredom and monotony! I used to do kickboxing and dance aerobics, but I hurt my knees when I slipped on ice, so for the time being I have put it on hold. But treadmill, elliptical, bike no problem.. also I work out targeting the specific problem areas like abs, thighs, butt, flabs in the arms etc.. on the respective machines!

But my body is STUBBORN and I have a long way to go!!! Cry Cry ...Hey but dont give up guys!!

I would vote any day for workouts in gym than on your own!!! Coz it definitely deciplines you!!

suram

Goldie

suram

Posted: 13 May 2008 at 2:59pm | IP Logged

As far as food goes-- Well I can never go on a drastic diet!!! Coz I get frusterated,depressed and eventually give up the whole thing...whats worse is that I end up pouncing on food as if I have never seen it before!!!! Angry ..So knowibng my limitations.. I stick to a realistic diet.

Brown rice is excellent and def. better than white rice. Brown riceis what i eat most of the days, but sometimes when you have cravings for white rice I dont feel guilty to yield to it..coz thats what keeps me going.

Even breads I try the whole grain/multigrain ones.

I avoid whole milk and use buttermilk instead of thick yogurt.

I do eat dosa/idli, adai,rotis etc but in limited qty.say 2-3 rather that freaking out on those...this will def. make one stick to the routine and over a period of time ..we will not be able to eat more even if we want to!!! Of course I do include salads etc in my meals and I drink LOTS of water!!

Would love to hear others exp. in diets and workouts.

I have a lot of limitations and patience levels so I try to do the best I can that suits my temperment! But I would love to get some suggesstions that can fit into my schedules Big smile

Post Reply New Post

Go to top