*~*The Unforgettable Bachchans Fan Club*~ - Page 4

Posted: 15 years ago
The Big B-Anurag controversy: Cell out!
Amitabh Bachchan is arguably the king of Bollywood, and as the number of years to his credit increases, so do numbers of fans. However, his once-ardent fan, director Anurag Basu, has reportedly left the club. Recently, his comment that Big B ought to retire created a stir throughout the country. But it was Amitabh's matter-of-fact response to the controversy that took us by surprise.

"This morning, I received an SMS from Anurag," says Amitabh. "Previously, Balki, my director for Chini Kum, had addressed this issue in a letter to the Mumbai Mirror. He knows Anurag and gave him my cell phone number, so he could discuss it with me. In his SMS, he said he had never said such things about me. I replied saying that, if he hadn't, he should clarify it with the magazine that printed it." Quite an anti-climax, that.
Big B, Abhi-Ash to star in film on Bangladesh founder

Dhaka: Superstar Amitabh Bachchan and his son Abhishek have tentatively agreed to ac in a film based on the life of Bangladesh's founding leader, Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, local media said on Thursday.

Amitabh will take the role of Mujib in the film, named, The Poet of Politics, while his Abhishek will act in the role of a young Mujib, Abdul Gaffar Chowdhury, the producer of the film, told ANA, a US-based Bangladeshi news agency.

The ANA report, published in several Dhaka dailies on Thursday, said Chowdhury, an expatriate Bangladeshi journalist and newspaper columnist, also told the news agency that Amitabh's daughter-in-law and former Miss Universe, Aishwarya Rai, and renowned actress Shabana Azmi will also act in two key roles.

Shyam Benegal will direct the movie. "After getting the consent of Amitabh, I am now a relieved man. To project a person of the magnitude of Bangabandhu (Sheikh Mujib), I could not imagine no one other than him," Chowdhury was quoted as saying in New York.

"Now not only Amitabh, his other family members have also agreed to take up the challenge," added Chowdhury. It was not clear when Chowdhury will start shooting the film, which will be made in English and dubbed into Bengali, Hindi and other languages.
Originally posted by fan_of_Big_B

Amitabh goes on and on and on…
Actor Amitabh Bachchan is Amitabh Bachchan for a reason. When we met the actor last, he wasn't in perfect shape. After all he suffered an injury on the sets of Alladin. And when we enquired after his health, he honestly admitted, "I'm on heavy medication, and not exactly at my healthiest best!"

But the actor, unflinching, spent close to six hours generously giving interviews to the media and promoting his film Bhoothnath. And when we asked him about his source of energy and spirit, he insisted that much was being made about his energy and all that! Now, that is our humble, modest, ever-tolerant and never-tiring Big B! But could it all be the wonders of some magic lamp somewhere?

To this Bachchan replied, "It's just a desire to work and if I can comply with the demands of my directors and producers and if they are happy with that then I am happy with that. I do feel that I need to have myself physically fit to be able to live up to their demands and so there is always a conscious effort to keep one healthy and presentable because cinema is all about how your face look and how you speak. So if your face is fine and if the voice is fine and if your activities are fine, you have a job otherwise you lose it!"

That's great.
Originally posted by fan_of_Big_B

'Sarkar Raj' to kick off IIFA weekend in Thailand (Lead)
Bangkok, April 30: Amitabh Bachchan starrer "Sarkar Raj" will kick off the 9th International Indian Film Academy (IIFA) awards starting from June 6 in Bangkok.

The annoucement was made here Wednesday.

"I am delighted that my film 'Sarkar Raj' is being premiered at the prestigious IIFA awards and am eagerly looking forward to this splendid event," Amitabh, the IIFA brand ambassador, told media.

Directed by Ram Gopal Varma, the film also stars Abhishek Bachchan and Aishwarya Ra. The three day event will end on June 8 with handing out of the awards .

The event is expected to draw Bollywood fans to Bangkok from around the region and to generate more business between India and Thailand. The two countries have signed a trade agreement.

The IIFA Weekend Bangkok is being sponsored by the Tourism Authority of Thailand, Dusit Thani Hotel group, Siam Niramit Co, Indorama Group and the Bangkok Post newspaper.

Sounds exciting!!
Amitabh Bachchan to play 'Bangabandhu' Sheikh Mujibur Rahman

Dhaka (PTI): Bollywood superstar Amitabh Bachchan and his celebrity family have agreed to act in a film based on the life of Bangladesh's founding leader Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, media reports said here on Friday.

The reports, quoting a New York-based Bangladeshi news agency, said 65-year-old Bachchan has agreed to play the lead role of Mujib in the film "The Poet of Politics" named after the title given to the Bangladeshi leader by the Time Magazine in the early 1970s in its cover story.

The agency said Big B's son Abhishek will act in the role of a young Mujib while his daughter-in-law and former Miss Universe Aishwarya Rai and renowned actress Shabana Azmi are also assigned key roles in the film.

According to reports, veteran Indian film director Shyam Benegal will direct the movie, which will be made in English and subsequently dubbed into Bengali, Hindi and other languages.

The Eastern News Agency (ENA) report said Bachchan recently gave his nod to the producer, expatriate Bangladeshi journalist Abdul Gaffar Chowdhury , who was long been trying to cast the megastar for the Taka 20 crore (over Rs 11 crore) budget film.

"I could not imagine no one other than him (Bachchan) to project a person of the magnitude of Bangabandhu (Sheikh Mujib). After getting the consent of Amitabh, I am now a relieved man," ENA quoted Chowdhury as saying in New York.
Amitabh Bachchan addresses the wedding guest list media controversy

The wedding of actor Abhishek Bachchan to actress Aishwarya Rai last year was perhaps the most widely media covered wedding event in India this decade. Pages and pages of media editorials and news and video and advertising footage were devoted towards Pratiksha and Jalsa, the house of the Bachchans. But after the wedding, a section the media painted Amitabh Bachchan as an 'elitist' for not inviting everybody to the private function. As names such as stars Shah Rukh Khan, Aamir Khan, Hrithik Roshan, ex-film star and high profile BJP leader Shatrughan Sinha, not to mention national level congress politicians like Sonia Gandhi were missing at the wedding.

One year later, in his blog at (bigb.bigadda.com), Amitabh Bachchan  finally addressed the issue directly in detail and explained to his fans as such:

" I find it below my dignity to give explanations to a matter that in my reckoning, is firmly embedded in the private domain. But let me tell you this. Every member of my entire staff with their families, people who have worked and remained with us for over 30 years, drivers, cleaners, kitchen staff, peons, minders, office bearers, security, helpers - formed the major portion of my list. They came as my guests. Not to work that day or help. They were my invited guests. My family, Jaya, Abhishek, Shweta, my grand children and I all sat with them and looked after them, served them food with our own hands and nothing in the world could have given us more pleasure than doing that. For me they were my most important guests. I did not need anyone else, for they were people who tirelessly have worked day in out with us. Lived through our pain and glory, through success and failure, through sadness and joy and never ever changed. They remained devoted...committed and constant. Their allegiance and sincerity never in doubt."

Amitabh Bachchan, Juhi Chawla awarded for cultural promotion

London, May 02: Bollywood actors Amitabh Bachchan and Juhi Chawla were awarded for their contribution to cultural promotion at a function at the court house Kempenski here.

Lord Navnit Dholakia, NRI and Deputy Leader of the liberal democrats in the House of Lords, presented the 'International Award for Cultural Promotion' for 2008 to Bachchan last night describing him as an icon of the film industry.

Expressing gratitude to the star, Lord Dholakia said Bachchan, named the greatest star of the millennium by BBC online poll, had been a remarkable ambassador, not only in India, but for Indians all over the world.

"You have promoted the best in India all over the globe," he said.

In his brief response, the superstar, who flew in here yesterday afternoon from Bangkok, thanked the organisers for choosing him for the award.

Referring to Dholakia's remarks that his Scottish wife had seen Bachchan-starrer "Sholay" 15 times, Bachchan said, "We try our best to build bridges among the people."

Kartar Lalvani, an NRI entrepreneur and Chief of Vitabiotics, a leading vitamin producing company, presented the 'Cultural Promotion Award' to actor Juhi Chawla.

Chawla said she hoped to continue working to live up to the expectations of the people.
Abhishek- Aishwarya agian

Some years down the line Bollywood's most talked about couple most probably will be holding a record for the most number of appearances made by a real life B-Town pair as lovebirds on the big screen.

Ram Gopal Varma's latest offering 'Sarkar Raj' has not yet got released, but not itself the news of Abishek Bachchan and his Wife Aishwarya teaming up for an untitled movie of the master director Mani Rathnam is already attracting enough interest.

Seems like the directors get a spark of novel ideas, subjects, inspiration, great characters and all those other things that start of a film's journey from the creator's mind to the screen just by seeing this couple together.

Apparently the famous Director, Cinematographer Rajiv Menon who started off as a director with 'Minsara Kanuvu' starring Prabhu Deva and Kajol which came to B-Town as 'Sapnay' later on directed 'Kandukondain Kandukondain' a Tamil film with Aishwarya Rai Bachchan in a key role is thinking of having the Abhi-Ash team in a film of his too.

Rajiv Menon who did the duties of the cinematographer for the film 'Guru' directed by Mani Rathnam narrated the story of the film to the star couple while they were in the sets of 'Guru'.

Abhi and Ash gave the go ahead signal to the director to work on the script after liking the romantic story.

The fates of the two movies at the box office in which the most wanted couple will be seen before Rajeev Menon's film gets to the floor will have an impact on the this future project.

But as the business in Bollywood goes, drastic changes can be made with box office fortunes kept in mind.

The games AB loves to play...

Amitabh (TOi photo) More pics
Guess what the Big B's latest obsession is?

Playing online games. He says this is something he loves and enjoys doing with his grandchildren. When we caught up with AB, he was trying to learn some gaming tricks. And his competitors? A bunch of kids...

And AB had a ball trying his hand at some of the games and pranks. He was visibly thrilled. "Kids are becoming more and more important today. I'm glad I got to play with the children today. I'm looking forward to playing a few games with my grandchildren too," he smiled.

And as for the kids, they had a helluva of a time playing with their Bhootnath uncle.

Ash comes first for Abhi

Aishwarya and Abhishek Bachchan in GuruHere is the secret mantra of Ash Abhi's successful marriage life. He says that when it comes to sharing things, his wife Ash takes the first seat. He feels that in Indian society marriage works following this rule and he too implements this in his happily married life.

Ash and Abhi share a strong bond with each other and complement each others achievement. Family comes first for them and amidst their busy schedule they find time to spend with each other and with Amitabh and Jaya. They had spent their first marriage anniversary in the beautiful locales of Miami. Though Amitabh and Jaya failed to be with them for their hectic schedule, they interacted with them via video conferencing.

Ash is taking great interest in reviving Amitabh's ABCL which he almost shunned after incurring heavy loss. There are many films that Ash and Abhi are doing together. They are cast opposite each other in Mani Ratnam's upcoming project, Rajeev Menon's Dhun and Sanjay Leela Bhansali's Bajirao Mastani. Ramgopal Varma's Sarkar Raj is almost ready to hit the silver screen where Ash will be seen in a totally different role with Amitabh Bachchan and Abhishek Bachchan.