India-Forums

Should Big B retire from Films?

TallyHo IF-Rockerz
TallyHo
TallyHo

Posted: 23 April 2008 at 10:09pm | IP Logged
AB tera kya hoga, Basu?
Author: Amul Sharma Date: 23 Apr 2008

Anurag Basu doesn't want to watch any of Amitabh Bachchan's recent films for fear of degrading the image he carries of the superstar

I think the whole magic of Amitji has gone now. I think he should gracefully retire I took no one's advice when I wanted to enter the film industry and shall take no one's advice about when I should leave it

Director Anurag Basu (Gangster, Murder and Metro) is not known for making controversial statements, so one has to wonder what provoked him to say uncomplimentary things about of B-Town's biggest superstar Amitabh Bachchan.

Excerpts from Anurag Basu's Stardust interview, ad verbatim, "Sometimes, people ask me who is the actor I would like to work with; and everybody expects Amitji's name as my reply. I have been a huge fan of Amitji; the reason why I am a part of Bollywood. I've grown up watching his films." He further adds, "I think the whole magic of Amitji has gone now. I think he should gracefully retire.

According to me, he has become a little mechanical since quite some time. There are many films which I wonder why he did. I understand that a man of his stature must have had his own reasons for doing such films but I still prefer to watch Kaala Patthar, Majboor and his other brillant films a hundred times than watching Ram Gopal Varma Ki Aag. I am scared of watching any of his forthcoming films because I don't want to degrade his image that I've carried in my mind for so many years."

Here's what Amitabh Bachchan had to say in reply to Anurag Basu's comments: "I took no one's advice when I wanted to enter the film industry and shall take no one's advice, as to when I should leave it! After the release of Laawaris in the late '70s-early '80s I think, a queen of film journalism, may God rest her soul in peace, had loudly proclaimed that 'The sun of Amitabh Bachchan has begun to set.'

In the mid '80s to the '90s, a prominent national weekly did a cover on me titled 'Finished!' Around 2000, a prominent and acclaimed filmmaker declared, much like Mr Anurag Basu, that it was time to put the last nail in the coffin of Mr Bachchan and give him a decent burial.

The honorable lady journalist has since passed away, the weekly has shut down and the acclaimed maker has stopped directing! I hope and pray that similar fate does not engulf Mr Anurag Basu, for my colleagues inform me that he is a director of great talent and promise!"

So what do you think...is Anurag Basu right...should Big B retire from films...Tongue

Gauri_3 IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 23 April 2008 at 10:32pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.
-Believe- IF-Stunnerz
-Believe-
-Believe-

Posted: 23 April 2008 at 11:57pm | IP Logged

Cheeeni kum ki zamaana hey.....kuch haseeno ko dheeka thoo boode be jaawani main ho jate hey...WinkBig smile

I dont think Big B should retire....Bt he should select perfect /suitable roles and charecters as per his age ...Smile 

Khaya IF-Stunnerz
Khaya
Khaya

Posted: 24 April 2008 at 12:53am | IP Logged
If Big B himself doesn't want to retire and the audience still want to see him on screen then I guess he should carry on... I think he's gr8 but I would rather like to see him in father figure kind of roles like he played in K3G, Baghban, Mohabbatein etc rather than the kind of roles he played in films such as Nishabd, Aag etc...
Fashionholic Goldie
Fashionholic
Fashionholic

Posted: 24 April 2008 at 2:37am | IP Logged
Amitabh Bachchan is a fantastic actor and i do think it's good that he has such passion and stamina to be still working in films.

It seems as though the roles which he takes on now are slightly experimental, and sometimes the audience find it difficult to digest (i.e Nishabd) because of his previous work. I mean hats off to him for trying out new things and having such a long and successful career (a very impressive cv!).

As for the magic....if i want to watch an Amitabh Bachchan film, i watch the old 70s films he did. Those are the films that showcase his magic....the films now just show him experimenting which don't always turn out too well.
qwertyesque IF-Rockerz
qwertyesque
qwertyesque

Posted: 24 April 2008 at 9:23am | IP Logged
i think he is the only one who can leave some memorable performances in today's otherwise crappy movies.. so just for that I think he should continue... all the khans and todays heroines are only good for movies like "dhamaal"

somehow if he takes the right roles he cant wear out..bagbaan, cheeni kum, sarkar are just superior cos of his presence... but if he does only boom kind of movies i'd rather he retire.. Smile
chatbuster IF-Rockerz
chatbuster
chatbuster

Deactivated on request

Posted: 24 April 2008 at 9:31am | IP Logged

haan yaar, retire kar doh. khud toh naheen karega Tongue LOL
Ms.GoodMorning IF-Stunnerz

Posted: 24 April 2008 at 11:16pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

Go to top