Waqt: Another Bengali show

pallavi25 thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago
Finally managed to catch tonight's episodes of Waqt . 
The show seems interesting.

After the flop of Ardhangini on Zee, Dheeraj Kumar (Creative Eye, Maayka) has taken a similar storyline, the adopted daughter yearning for mother's love in a conservative Kolkata family.

Its the same Bengali setting with Roychaudhuri parivaar, Durga Puja, Dhunuchi Nritya, Kulpurohit, etc.

I wish they didnt always show Bengali women wear saris in "Ghoroa" style. Very few women wear it that way nowadays. Okay, in flashback, it was fine as they were showing Rudra's childhood 20 yrs ago.
But even 20 yrs ago, when I got married in a very traditional family, only the grandmas wore saris in that style.

What kind of name is Rudra? I never heard such a name for girls, its a typical Boy's name....Rudrashekhar.....I think I used that name in my story Bhalobasha.

But anyways, the sets are gorgeous, the main actors are good....Mukesh Khanna is his usual dramatic self as Bishwajeet Roychoudhury, and Payal Sarkar as Rudra is quite good. Yasho is good actress too, but I cant stand the Bua.....her mean looks are annoying.

So the main fact is that Rudra is actually the daughter of the older brother Sharbadaman (Dheeraj Kumar himself), who is missing for last 7 years. He married Sunanda in secret and had a child with her but then he disappeared from the face of the earth. But Biswajeet still believes his Dada is alive and doesnt let his mother do his Barsi (Barshik Shraadh)

Im guessing the older brother will turn up in the end and settle all scores, and everybody would come to know Rudra's real identity. 😃
But before that, Rudra will use a lot of glycerine as her evil brothers will destroy the family fortunes and make them paupers.

I wish they would use more Bengali words to make it more authentic, like Sunanda saying beta or Beti to Rudra......Bongs dont say Beta or Beti. They say Manik or Shona, or Baba or Khuku/Khoka etc etc.

pallavi

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

I watched couple of episodes tonight fast-forwarding most of it.😛 You are right. Just because this is a Bengal based serial, they show women with lot of sindoor, big bindis and jewellery. How odd is it that this woman (Kishori Shahane) went to see the doctor wearing all those jewellery and make-up.

There were lot of Bengal based shows on Doordarshan in the 80s and so authentic. These days everything is so gaudy and over-the-top.

Mukesh Khanna could have made a much better re-entry into television. But let us wait and watch. Dheeraj Kumar somehow turns every show into a hit one.

pallavi25 thumbnail
Originally posted by: Maya_M

I watched couple of episodes tonight fast-forwarding most of it.😛 You are right. Just because this is a Bengal based serial, they show women with lot of sindoor, big bindis and jewellery. How odd is it that this woman (Kishori Shahane) went to see the doctor wearing all those jewellery and make-up.

Just imagine wearing those heavy silk saris in Kolkata's heat. 😆

There were lot of Bengal based shows on Doordarshan in the 80s and so authentic. These days everything is so gaudy and over-the-top.

Yes, the shows in 80s like Buniyaad, Aur bhi gham hai, Nukkad....were much more realistic, nobody wore zardozis and kundan sets at home. 😆

Mukesh Khanna could have made a much better re-entry into television. But let us wait and watch. Dheeraj Kumar somehow turns every show into a hit one.

Yes, thats true, his Betiyaan and Maayka are hits on Zee TV. 😃

aerian thumbnail
I agree with all of you above.. Coming to nicknames, I find it really funny when Sunanda says "mamuni" .. Its pronounced "maa-moo-nee" ..Instead Sunanda says "maah-mo-ne".. I am not a bengali but have been in the eastern part of the country long enough to know the difference...

I really wish Mukesh Khanna too stops wearing all that heavy silk stuff he is wearing now.. Seeing him in so many clothes makes me sweat..

pallavi25 thumbnail

Originally posted by: aerian

I agree with all of you above.. Coming to nicknames, I find it really funny when Sunanda says "mamuni" .. Its pronounced "maa-moo-nee" ..Instead Sunanda says "maah-mo-ne".. I am not a bengali but have been in the eastern part of the country long enough to know the difference...

Yes, u are right! It shd be pronounced Ma-mo-ni......shes saying it wrong. And also we never say Barsi...we would say Barhik Shraadh.

I really wish Mukesh Khanna too stops wearing all that heavy silk stuff he is wearing now.. Seeing him in so many clothes makes me sweat..

😆😆 U know the dress Mukesh is wearing was called a Nepali Panjabi, it had fastenings on the side and my mom's grandpa used to wear it in the 1950s 😆

nazmul thumbnail
My expectations are low, I would be happy even if they pronounce Kolkata correctly. Instead of Coal-kata, most so called Bengali characters pronounce it as Call-kata. And yes the last person I have ever seen wearing saree like that is my grandma. BTW, Bengali girls do wear lots of Salwar Kameez too.
pallavi25 thumbnail

Originally posted by: nazmul

My expectations are low, I would be happy even if they pronounce Kolkata correctly. Instead of Coal-kata, most so called Bengali characters pronounce it as Call-kata. And yes the last person I have ever seen wearing saree like that is my grandma. BTW, Bengali girls do wear lots of Salwar Kameez too.

Yeah, they do exaggerate the O sound a lot (like in Roshogolla)  when they try to say Bengali words! 😆😆

Yes, nowadays most unmarried gals wear Salwars or jeans and kurti and moms wear salwars too. 😃 My married sisters wear jeans and salwars.