Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 16 years ago
srklicious thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

Re-invention: SRK's success formula.

- Ruma Malia

The making of King Khan

Acting they say is like rocket science, you never know what clicks. But then there's more than sheer acting that sums up as success in the tinsel town of Bollywood. While talent has never been a dearth, it is not everyday that we see a new star on the horizon.

After all, most of our stars have been around for decades before being proclaimed 'Superstars'.

And if there's one man who has actually developed a full-proof plan to ensure that nothing topples him from the throne of Bollywood Baadshah in this luck-oriented industry, it's Shah Rukh

Creating a niche identity

Someone who rules with an eagle eye, SRK has constantly re-invented his image through his choice of characters over a period of time.

A clear analysis of the industry, knowing the USPs of his outright competitors and identifying his own pros and cons as an actor has made him emerge as the King Khan. At a time when every star was synonymous with a particular image, Sunny Deol for his action, Govinda for his comedy and dance moves and Aamir for his romantic appeal, SRK made his presence felt with "K.K..K..Kiran".

By weaving in this novel factor to his negative character, SRK ensured visibility for himself as an 'original' actor who had his own distinctive style.

Becoming a 'baazigar'

And once everyone started recognizing him as the psycho villain with a speech problem, SRK cashed on the sympathy that his image gained to the fullest with his role in Baazigar. He may have been considered just another newcomer who lacked a macho appeal and was just enjoying his 15 minutes of fame by his co-stars but this only worked in SRK's favour.

While they continued to work in their conventional modules, SRK outwit everyone by playing the mama's good boy who was emotional to the point of being obsessive.

So while established stars continued to play rebels in the pursuit of displaying their macho side, SRK turned out to the true baazigar.

Breaking the glass ceiling

Now not wanting to be typecast as a villain, SRK then went ahead to bag a lead role for himself in the Yash Raj flick Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge. In what we can be called one of its kind role, SRK's character did not believe in 'taporigiri' and 'Main tujhko bhaga laya hun tere baap ke ghar se' songs.

Nor was he a ghost from the past who believed in sacrificing his love for family integrity. His image of a modern Indian who was persistent and yet not willing to be rebellious is what took the nation by storm.

After all, heroism had always been related to aggression and rebellion in the Hindi film industry. Thus, by breaking the glass ceiling, the superstar was born.

Flirting with roles

After playing the dedicated loverboy oh-so-often, SRK had an image makeover with the 'cool dude' avatar in Kuch Kuch Hota Hain. While the first half of the film saw Shah Rukh being part of a stereotyped college love story, a concept that had almost disappeared from commercial cinema by mid-90s for being too cliched, this one had a catch.

SRK's character in KKHH went one step ahead to show what happens when a married man meets his past and falls in love with it all over again.

The only scene in the film where we felt Shah Rukh was still carrying a baggage from his past avatar was when he says in a trademark style – Ek aadmi ki sar sirf teen logon ke saamne jukta hain.

Arriving on the battle scene

Almost ten years in the industry and not a single fan of his could imagine SRK going shirtless. Though a superstar, not even SRK himself could imagine himself getting into the 'dishoom dishoom' mode, forget being a warrior.

But well-knowing that stagnancy and success never go hand in hand, SRK decided to go all out for it. So an Asoka happened on the helps of Hrithik gaining popularity for his sensitive yet masculine appeal in Fiza and Mission Kashmir.

Though the film was a flop, it gave Shah Rukh the opportunity to announce his warrior instincts and reinforce the magnitude of his crown.

No longer a Mr Know It All

With a superstar's status comes criticism. Arrogance was one adjective that had started making the rounds for King Khan who had been not just delivering hits year by year, but was also winning awards by the dozen.

To steer clear of his super confident and smart Mr Know It All image, SRK opted for the role of a love lost puppy.

Devdas not just allowed him to re-invent his on-screen persona, but it also saw him being part of a period classic for the first time in his career.

Winning 'em all with a low-key approach

Though he played a miserable man in Devdas, SRK was unsuccessful in silencing his growing number of critics who labeled him as an over-the-top actor. Not enjoying the threat to his stardom, SRK made the most radical image makeover with Swades. The fact that King Khan was working with Ashutosh Gowarikar instead of a K Jo or Yash Raj made a significant impact on the crowds as well as the critics.

Needless to say, once the film released SRK's toned-down approach did not go unnoticed by a single viewer.

Even his most rigid critics had to admit that SRK had turned over a new leaf.

Beating them at their own game

With multiplexes happened unconventional films and jumping on to the bandwagon were actors like Saif Ali Khan (remember Being Cyrus and Salaam Namaste). Quick to realise that neglecting a silent revolution never helped anyone, an otherwise very flawless SRK opted for the role of a differently abled man in Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna.
patroclus thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: love srk

I'm feeling proud, says Shah Rukh

http://www.telegraphindia.com/108041...ry_9123192.jsp

I'm feeling proud, says Shah Rukh
- In between appearances at the Eden Gardens, honour for the superstar in France
LOKENDRA PRATAP SAHI

Shah Rukh Khan
Calcutta: Two months ago, Shah Rukh Khan brought traffic to a halt in Berlin. Something similar could well happen once the Kolkata Knight Riders' home matches begin in the city. In between, traffic may come to a standstill in Paris.

For, come April 27, Knight Riders' owner Shah Rukh will be in the French capital to unveil his own wax statue at the Gevin Museum, which has been in existence since the late 19th century.

"I believe I'm the second Indian, after Mahatma Gandhi, to be honoured in such a fashion… It's going to be a big event in my life and, naturally, I'm feeling proud," Shah Rukh told The Telegraph in Mumbai on Wednesday.

Laughing, he'd added: "I'll, of course, wear my best black suit… One befitting the occasion."

Shah Rukh, incidentally, has already been presented with the Insignia of Officer in the Order of Arts and Literature by the French government.

He features in Madame Tussauds, yes, but the Gevin Museum honour is clearly something very special for him.

The Knight Riders' first home game (against Hyderabad) is on April 20, with the next being on April 29 (versus Mumbai). Shah Rukh, who has promised not to miss a single home match, intends inviting the Tollywood brigade during the game against Mumbai.

The naach-gana issue in the break between innings is still unclear, because of the impasse over the entertainment tax, but there definitely won't be a dearth of stars even off the Eden turf.

17 days till his statue in grevin is revealed (the 28th)

hey mariam...pls post this in the knight riders fc

mariasrk thumbnail
hey guys how are you........................ 😳 😊
patroclus thumbnail
MARIA!!!!!

how r u??

I'm fyn!
Ruhihutijufan thumbnail
hi all! one good news. on next sunday ie 20 april on set max guess what? ddlj is there at 12pm.wowww i am waiting for next sunday 😉

hey did anyone see add of panchvi pass se tez hai? woww it is so good and srk looks awsume na 😉
patroclus thumbnail
I saw the aD!!

sRK LOOKS SOOOOOOOOOOOO CUTE!!!

n what time r they showing ddlj?
Ruhihutijufan thumbnail
At 12pm yaar! i will surely watch it yaar! since many days i havent watched it.
patroclus thumbnail
ya...i'm really kuing forard to it!

I sincerely hope i don't have any classes then
Ruhihutijufan thumbnail
hey sont worry! u will be able to watch it! 😉

ok here i have a pic of shahrukh's mannat. i dont know if it is posted before in any of fc's but this is mannat
and i love this part of his house.