The Olympic Dilemma (Page 4)

lighthouse IF-Dazzler
lighthouse
lighthouse

Posted: 21 April 2008 at 12:20pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by return_to_hades

Originally posted by lighthouse

Originally posted by nandinidev

well put...i think the best idea would be to try and find some kind of a middle path, so that the political solidarity and the spirit of the olympics, neither is sacrificed at the cost of the other...whatsay?Smile

Great idea.. !!! now lets hear the details.Wink most times middle is not in the middle,  its way over on the either side. Smile

Simple, Abraham Lincoln once said "If half the people think you have done too much and half the people think you have done too little, then you have done just about right."

If the middle path is not visible choose the option that irks both sides.

Freeing the slaves and suspending civil liberties during civil war wasn't exactly executed from being in the middle now was it?

return_to_hades IF-Veteran Member
return_to_hades
return_to_hades

Posted: 21 April 2008 at 7:35pm | IP Logged
Actually the Confederacy was faster to suspend civil liberties and issue draft, years before the Union. Several people in the Union though Lincoln was to lenient especially how long he let George McClellan continue is soft war tactics. It was not until Ulysses Grant and William Sherman (The Shermanator) took control did people believe that the Union was actually waging a war.

So it may not seem a middle path, but half the people thought he did too much and half the people thought he did too little.

Freeing slaves itself was a middle path of sorts. See they were free, but they still did not have constitutional rights, property rights, were segregated and were lesser citizens.
Gauri_3 IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 24 April 2008 at 8:25pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.
lighthouse IF-Dazzler
lighthouse
lighthouse

Posted: 25 April 2008 at 11:13am | IP Logged

Freeing slaves itself was a middle path of sorts. See they were free, but they still did not have constitutional rights, property rights, were segregated and were lesser citizens.

You missed my point there. am not interested in debating Lincoln with you but will mention that ending slavery was not the paramount object as saving the Union was. It is evident from his various debates and letters. Also evident was that his views that there was physical difference between blacks and whites and the white man could maintain superiority without slavery because blacks were inherently inferior . He may have hated slavery yet clearly could not envision a society in which blacks and whites could live in harmony as equals.

I don't see any middle road here but you may going by your logic -  freeing Tibet from China without giving any rights to Tibetans .Confused

Edited by lighthouse - 25 April 2008 at 12:19pm
return_to_hades IF-Veteran Member
return_to_hades
return_to_hades

Posted: 26 April 2008 at 2:53pm | IP Logged
Sorry to go off topic there, but being a history buff I tend to get side tracked into debates and discussions on history. The slavery and civil war era is quite complicated and Abraham Lincoln is not as bad as you make him sound, but I wont say he is as great as he is made out to be sometimes. Nevertheless a brilliant and noble politician for that period of time and the best in American history. There I go down my history track again.

Sticking to the point. What I meant to say is sometimes there is no middle path. There are situations in the world where there is absolutely no decision which you will make that will make all people go this is balanced, it was a fair compromise or it was the right thing to do.

In the situation with China and Tibet there is a similar problem. Freeing Tibet will make China and its supporters extremely upset and they will call foul and not doing so makes Tibet and its supporters feel upset. Any middle path undertaken will make one side feel that it is unfairly balanced to the other side

There is no clear cut middle path, but if half the people on both sides think it is too much and half on both sides think it is too little then it is just about right. Perhaps not the middle path, but just about right for the status quo needed to keep moving and living.
lighthouse IF-Dazzler
lighthouse
lighthouse

Posted: 29 April 2008 at 11:11am | IP Logged

Sorry to go off topic there, but being a history buff I tend to get side tracked into debates and discussions on history. The slavery and civil war era is quite complicated and Abraham Lincoln is not as bad as you make him sound, but I wont say he is as great as he is made out to be sometimes. Nevertheless a brilliant and noble politician for that period of time and the best in American history. There I go down my history track again.  Agree. while I am the opposite and hated history, I was just pointing out the fact that Abe never set out to choose middle path as you infered by the quote.

Sticking to the point. What I meant to say is sometimes there is no middle path. There are situations in the world where there is absolutely no decision which you will make that will make all people go this is balanced, it was a fair compromise or it was the right thing to do.  It is not about making each and every person happy, because that would be impossible feat to achieve, it is more on being on the right side of the issue, in this case rights of tibetians. Tongue if we take anything from the war of mahabharata , then that should be clear to anyone. 

In the situation with China and Tibet there is a similar problem. Freeing Tibet will make China and its supporters extremely upset and they will call foul and not doing so makes Tibet and its supporters feel upset. Any middle path undertaken will make one side feel that it is unfairly balanced to the other side

There is no clear cut middle path, but if half the people on both sides think it is too much and half on both sides think it is too little then it is just about right. Perhaps not the middle path, but just about right for the status quo needed to keep moving and living.

Go to top