The Olympic Dilemma - Page 2

Posted: 16 years ago
Originally posted by return_to_hades

That is an excellent suggestion. Wishful thinking, but it would be a courageous thing to do. I would really love to see more nations taking a stand like this. Carry the torch with the Tibetan flag. In the opening ceremony hoist the Tibetan colors along with national colors. Let your athletes wear an armband with Tibetan flag to make a point.

Majora Carter one of the torchbears in San Francisco decided to pull out a Tibet Flag when the torch was passed to her for her leg of the relay. Chinese officials and SF police wasted no time to releive her of the torchbearing duties. So much for freedom of expression and right to peaceful protest in USA.

The whole incident always reminds me of this famous image.

If one student could dare, what prevents a nation from taking  a stand?

Deepak and RTH, I looved both your POVs👏...

There is no point boycotting the games...Instead we should be using this as a stage to show off of our support to Tibet..Every participant should flaunt a Tibetan flag...Every means literally each and every participant from all over the world...They can't possibly stop all of them from doing it, can they??Then we will see how they will react and where they will hide..

Though I am not sure if that kind of Unity exists amongst the nations today, to come up with a single policy like this and act up on it...

Originally posted by raksha.l

Deepak and RTH, I looved both your POVs👏...

There is no point boycotting the games...Instead we should be using this as a stage to show off of our support to Tibet..Every participant should flaunt a Tibetan flag...Every means literally each and every participant from all over the world...They can't possibly stop all of them from doing it, can they??Then we will see how they will react and where they will hide..

Though I am not sure if that kind of Unity exists amongst the nations today, to come up with a single policy like this and act up on it...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/olympics/article37243 08.ece

Athletes who take Tibet stand 'face Olympic cut'

Athletes who display Tibetan flags at Olympic venues — including in their own rooms — could be expelled from this summer's Games in Beijing under anti-propaganda rules.

Originally posted by SolidSnake

Athletes who take Tibet stand 'face Olympic cut'

Athletes who display Tibetan flags at Olympic venues — including in their own rooms — could be expelled from this summer's Games in Beijing under anti-propaganda rules.

So ridiculously extreme. If this is so then athletes have a right to boycott.
Originally posted by return_to_hades

So ridiculously extreme. If this is so then athletes have a right to boycott.

🤢 Yuck, are these fellows modern day's Barbarians or Hitlers???Where are all those self righteous people who jump on India even when we so much as try to support our own internal matters like Kashmir???

This is just not ridiculous, this is completely outrageous...So how many are they going to expel???What if 'all' the athletes set out with a Tibetan flag??Are they prepared to play the games within themselves and give the medals to themselves and fly high shamelessly on the top of the medal list or may be as the only country in the medal list??Just what is their non-sense all about???🤢

Is there no country which can stand against this barbarism???We are talking about fighting against America, how about first handling China???If this is the state of affairs, I am sure very soon China will spread its poison all through and we would still be left wondering as to how to react and what to do...
😕
More they use brute force and supress voices more it is gaining international support. By not talking to Dalai Lama they are (kulhadi par per maar rahe hain). Dalai Lama is atleast not asking for independance but young Tibetans are pro-independance and any leadership after Dalai Lama 'll surely be pro-independance.
Ayyo da! in India reservation system is adopted in this torch matter also...SC ST OBC GENERAL Category of players....added to this Women reservation also.....so poor goverment ..why should we bother them other essential issues like tibet ........
Boycotts or protests of these types dont buy you anything, 1980 and 1984 olympics proved it

I just wish people leave the olympics alone, these athletes worldwide train hard to show the world they are good at what they do
I am going to boycott Olympics. Not just Beijing, but the modern Olympics in general. They are an abomination to the pan-hellenic games.

Where is my discus thrower?
Where is zeus's son?
Where are the chariot races?
Where have all the Spartans gone?
Well....one thing I can be sure of; boycotting the olympics will have an adverse effect on the Tibet issue instead of helping it out.
It is the Chinese government and not the people of China who are responsible for this entire thing; so the best way to deal with the issue is to let the sportspeople playing the Olympics do the talking. That said....what is the main issue?? China has apparently denied basic human rights to Tibetans in their region, right???
Well.....economically speaking, china happens to be the only country which is insulated against the global recession taking place in teh world due to a decline in the value of the US dollar. If china wants, it can make countries 'very actively' supporting Tibet suffer economically in the near future . India is included, and if this happens..the common Indian man will start resenting Tibet for, to his mind, Tibet would be responsible for the economic deprivation the country will face and Tibet will be in a hard position, a resentful India on one hand and a hateful china on the other. What will a country, having recently gained autonomy, do????