Page 1 of 4

Page 1
Page   of 4
Page 2 Page 4

Pradarshak

Goldie

Pradarshak

Posted: 08 April 2008 at 12:12am | IP Logged

Beijing Olympics is surely in news before the game event is ready to take off. We all know what's happening at the torch rallies in different countries. Anticipating something like that in India, India being a supporter of Tibet's autonomous rule.

Some countries are yet to decide whether to attend the opening ceremony to show their protest while some are committed, some invited guests decided to keep themselves away from the torch rallies while some decided to take part.

In your view, what's the right thing to do? Go with the spirit of the game or send the message to China by shunning the rally/opening ceremony/game for violating human rights towards the Tibetians.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "The Olympic Dilemma" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

IdeaQueen

IF-Dazzler

IdeaQueen

Posted: 08 April 2008 at 12:04pm | IP Logged

Nice post PradarshakClap

Coming back to the topic..

What is the stand of India in the affairs related to China?

India does not react if Arunachal Pradesh is slowly occupied...India does not act if Tibet is troubled....

The issue of Tibet is accepted as "internal affair" of China as "kashmir " is the internal affair of India.

How can we simply see sports and political isssues differenty ???

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 08 April 2008 at 8:47pm | IP Logged
Since I am not ethnic Chinese or Tibetan, I only know of the conflict through third party accounts. I am not equipped to make a judgment of right or wrong on either side, there is no possible way I can fathom the emotional, cultural and personal significance as others.

However, I have to say that no matter what side you are on; violation of human rights, denying people their right to freedom, personal expression and persecution is wrong. Consequently, China is wrong in the way they have handled the issue and the treat Tibetan people everyday.

The Olympic games were meant to be symbols of sportsmanship. The entire Panhellenic region was in a state of Pax Deorum. Conquests and occupations were on hold, prisoners released to celebrate the ancient Olympics. The modern game was revived as a means to promote peace, co-existence and sportsmanship.

That presents an interesting Catch 22. To allow Olympics in a nation that refuses to enter a state of Pax Deorum is ironic. But then which modern nation would divest personal interest for peace. At the same time boycotting Olympics is like boycotting the legacy it symbolizes.

In my personal opinion to condemn the Olympics for where it is hosted, using disruptive means to hamper it is wrong and against the spirit. To use the Olympics to gain visibility and awareness of human rights concerns that affect our world is right.

Blowing out the torch, stopping the progress, physically interfering with ceremonies is wrong. Holding a protest sign, passing informational brochures, talking to people without disrupting proceedings is the right of expression.

The problem is in China people do not have the right of expression. Even holding a picket can result in violent reaction from police. This is the type of government that did not think twice about Tiananmen Square nor ever truly regretted it.

Tibetans have the right to peaceful protest, and even if we disagree with their desire we have to preserve their right. Those who violate the proceedings should be charged to the full extent of law based on the offense.

Each country has to make its choice, whether they want to support Tibet, China or be Neutral. No matter what a country chooses they should not disrupt the Olympic proceedings, pull out or use coercion strategies - but they have the right to use media coverage to express their opinion and use their athletes to carry their decision.

SolidSnake

IF-Rockerz

SolidSnake

Posted: 09 April 2008 at 9:58am | IP Logged

Originally posted by Pradarshak

In your view, what's the right thing to do? Go with the spirit of the game or send the message to China by shunning the rally/opening ceremony/game for violating human rights towards the Tibetians.

Boycotting Olympic would not be feasible if not backed by international community...humare akele se kuchh nahin hoga. In any case we have more than any other nation for the Tibbetans friends.

I would love to see Sachin/Baichung etc running with the torch alongwith Tibbetan Flag. Smile And I would also love to see our govt act boldly and with more courage when dealing with Chinese, bheegi billi ban jaate hain hum.

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 09 April 2008 at 8:32pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by SolidSnake

I would love to see Sachin/Baichung etc running with the torch alongwith Tibbetan Flag. Smile And I would also love to see our govt act boldly and with more courage when dealing with Chinese, bheegi billi ban jaate hain hum.

That is an excellent suggestion. Wishful thinking, but it would be a courageous thing to do. I would really love to see more nations taking a stand like this. Carry the torch with the Tibetan flag. In the opening ceremony hoist the Tibetan colors along with national colors. Let your athletes wear an armband with Tibetan flag to make a point.

Majora Carter one of the torchbears in San Francisco decided to pull out a Tibet Flag when the torch was passed to her for her leg of the relay. Chinese officials and SF police wasted no time to releive her of the torchbearing duties. So much for freedom of expression and right to peaceful protest in USA.

The whole incident always reminds me of this famous image.

If one student could dare, what prevents a nation from taking  a stand?

Vinzy

IF-Stunnerz

Vinzy

Posted: 10 April 2008 at 1:52am | IP Logged
I think Tibet miss a Gandhi... Embarrassed

-.nandini.-

IF-Rockerz

-.nandini.-

Posted: 10 April 2008 at 8:31am | IP Logged

well put...i think the best idea would be to try and find some kind of a middle path, so that the political solidarity and the spirit of the olympics, neither is sacrificed at the cost of the other...whatsay?Smile

lighthouse

IF-Dazzler

lighthouse

Posted: 10 April 2008 at 9:56am | IP Logged

Yes that would be the best answer and good start. Smile  It is sad that the Olympic torch/flame gets more respect and protection then the Tibetians. Confused

Originally posted by nandinidev

well put...i think the best idea would be to try and find some kind of a middle path, so that the political solidarity and the spirit of the olympics, neither is sacrificed at the cost of the other...whatsay?Smile

Great idea.. !!! now lets hear the details.Wink most times middle is not in the middle,  its way over on the either side. Smile

Edited by lighthouse - 10 April 2008 at 9:57am

Post Reply New Post

Go to top