India-Forums

IPL: Misbah signs for SRK's Kolkata team

Khaya IF-Stunnerz
Khaya
Khaya

Posted: 03 April 2008 at 3:47am | IP Logged
IPL: Misbah signs for SRK's Kolkata team
TNN / Nitin Naik

MUMBAI, February 26: Had he not played that curious scoop off Joginder Sharma in the final of the ICC World Twenty20 against India in Johannesburg, Misbah-ul Haq would have achieved cult status. Instead, he ended up as a tragic hero.

But the level-headed 33-year-old was still one of the finds of the tourney. Shockingly though, the man with a T20 average of 50.20 in nine games and the player who scored 218 runs at an average of 54.5 in the World T20 was overlooked for the initial round of the players' auctions on February 20 in Mumbai. Around 75 players were bought by several cash-rich franchises then.

Better late than never, IPL organisers said on Monday they had signed up Misbah. The cricketer confirmed to TOI from Lahore that he had inked a deal with Kolkata's Red Chillies Entertainment for an undisclosed sum after being approached by Sourav Ganguly.

However, IPL commissioner and chairman Lalit Modi said, ''No one can sign up for any team or vice-versa. They will have to go through the IPL auction. We have been receiving a lot of requests from several franchises for more foreign players and there will be a secondary auction.''

Misbah himself, though, is not amused. ''My stats are there for everybody to see. I am not the kind of player to tom-tom about my achievements. I guess, players who are more glamourous and have a more flamboyant personality were preferred over players with talent. After all T20 is all about glamour,'' he stated.

Misbah is also not too happy that several Pakistan players had been undervalued.

• Page 1 of 1

Go to top