Debate Mansion

Right or Wrong - who determines that? (Page 6)

Post Reply New Post

Page 6 of 20

qwertyesque

IF-Rockerz

qwertyesque

Posted: 30 March 2008 at 8:04pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Gauri_3

Originally posted by chatbuster

- should we pray to this God or that one?

hey cb, uss key liye we'll need to convince him that god existsWink  badey log ki sab baat mano per yeh naheen mano...kyoon bhala...kyoonki apna thinking use kiya aur kuchh aethists key books padhey.  phir bhi bol raha hai ki jo leaders boley woh hee saheeLOLLOLLOL  am i the only one noticing the juxtaposition hereLOL

LOLLOL..juxtaposition...?. kaafi taqleef hui hongi na.. LOLLOL

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Right or Wrong - who determines that? (Page 6)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Morning_Dew

Goldie

Morning_Dew

Deactivated on request

Posted: 30 March 2008 at 8:07pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by shrutichopra

Hey!

I just chanced upon the Debate Mansion and it seems like a very my kind of place.

One question that gets me thinking every single time is that we(the people of the world) say a particular thing/path is 'right' while the other is 'wrong'. But who determines this? Who distinguishes them and why do we take things as acceptable and unacceptable? What makes the human psyche think in such a manner and how 'right' or 'wrong' things really are?

Many might say it is the society that decides but then again who is this 'society' and how do they decide? And if that is answered why do they decide? why is such a power vested in the 'society' and not merely in an 'individual'?

Would love to see the debate and opinions on this!

Shruti

Welcome to DM ,

Great topic Clap

I haven't read all responses so I don't know if someone already written all these points.

What I think ....right/wrong are basically related to morals . and for morals there  no one need to decide ......like numbers they just exists . To say one , one no authority is needed it is simply known. That is the reason , we see similarities in values /the concept of right and wrong among people of different societies or countries  in almost every time period of history.

A child need to be protected and be loved by parents this concept doesn't need to be decided by any single authority same way stealing is bad ..this fact again well understood in every society , region or era .  we tend to make laws rules one way or another for the betterment of society for preservation of human race. May be all these are part of our own instict or part of an ultimate truth , which is clearly percieved by people just like the perception of day/ night , perception of heat / cold.

Edited by Morning_Dew - 30 March 2008 at 8:17pm

qwertyesque

IF-Rockerz

qwertyesque

Posted: 30 March 2008 at 8:13pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Morning_Dew

Originally posted by shrutichopra

Hey!

I just chanced upon the Debate Mansion and it seems like a very my kind of place.

One question that gets me thinking every single time is that we(the people of the world) say a particular thing/path is 'right' while the other is 'wrong'. But who determines this? Who distinguishes them and why do we take things as acceptable and unacceptable? What makes the human psyche think in such a manner and how 'right' or 'wrong' things really are?

Many might say it is the society that decides but then again who is this 'society' and how do they decide? And if that is answered why do they decide? why is such a power vested in the 'society' and not merely in an 'individual'?

Would love to see the debate and opinions on this!

Shruti

Welcome to DM ,

Great topic Clap

I haven't read all responses so I don't know if someone already written all these points.

What I think ....right/wrong are basically related to morals . and morals simply there  no one need to decide ......just like numbers they just exists . To say one , one no authority is needed it is simply known. That is the reason , we see similarities in values /the concept of right and wrong among people of different societies or countries even in almost every time period of history.

A child need to be protected and be loved by parents this concept doesn't need to be decided by any single authority same way stealing is bad ..this fact again well understood in every society , region or era .  we tend to make laws rules one way or another for the betterment of society for preservation of human race. May be all these are part of our own instict or part of an ultimate truth , which is clearly percieved by people just like the perception of day/ night , perception of heat / cold.

welcome to dm morning_dew... veri nicely put..SmileWink

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 30 March 2008 at 8:35pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 30 March 2008 at 8:36pm | IP Logged

chatbuster

IF-Rockerz

chatbuster

Deactivated on request

Posted: 30 March 2008 at 8:46pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Gauri_3

Originally posted by chatbuster

actually sati and such was also the morality of the era. in fact, high morality.

not really.  it was more a ritual like child marriage.  certain norms/rituals get tied to female morality over time like widows not getting remarried, north indian married women observing karwa chauth etc.  if they do not follow certain norms/rituals, society doesn't consider them women of virtue.  that's how i see it.

how's that not tied to morality? people doing it as a ritual, fine. but why? somewhere it must have fed in to someone's sense of doing the moral/ right thing.

Morning_Dew

Goldie

Morning_Dew

Deactivated on request

Posted: 30 March 2008 at 8:47pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by qwertyesque

[

welcome to dm morning_dew... veri nicely put..SmileWink

Thanks Qwerts Smile.... What I feel there are some illusions of changes in concept of right and wrong over the period of time... for eg. some people might aruge about freedom of women in past and in present. Though if we analyze it , it is same , women were considered precious ...... need to be protected , keeping in mind all the dangers in outside world , they were protected by their men..... what I believe that intention ws never bad... it was never to supress women. same way now women can go out freely and work freely only because now we have protection available out of our houses.  concept is still same . Take away all sexual harrasment laws and other protective laws and see how many of us would like to send our daughters outside. 

Physical relationship before marriage was not allowed back then in almost every society...... basic moral or basic reason ......avoid any situation where a woman or her child  be abondoned in a society which back then was not capable of taking care of them so for the benefit of child specifically and women generally it was not accepted. Now in parts of world where , social asisstance is available and specially with positive paternity identification, it is much easier to support a child and mother........ rules become lenient. rules change...but purpose remain same and that is the moral value a right thing   ..Smile

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 30 March 2008 at 9:02pm | IP Logged

Post Reply New Post

Go to top