Debate Mansion

Right or Wrong - who determines that? (Page 2)

Post Reply New Post

Page 2 of 20

Page 1
Page   of 20
Page 3 Page 20

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 28 March 2008 at 9:27am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Right or Wrong - who determines that? (Page 2)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 28 March 2008 at 6:56pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by qwertyesque

Originally posted by return_to_hades

Nature has gifted us with a thought process, a personal understanding of right and wrong. This perception differs from person to person, but we all apply our moral and ethical perceptions to what we do.

I think that "thinking" and "perceiving" are two mutually exclusive things... if you think... you shouldnt be able to distinguish right and wrong... if you perceive you are not free of pre-conceived biases.. in such cases its always  ok to go our granny and get her advice.. Her simplistic answers come across as the true answer.. which is why I feel you have to seek answers for right and wrong in ages when people could "feel" more than they could "think"..Wink

The dictionary definition distinguishes them as two distinct words. However, they are not mutually exclusive but interdependent. Our thoughts influence our perceptions and our perceptions influence our thoughts. We all have a unique thought process and think things in a different way, which leads to difference in our perceptions. The environment we live in creates perceptions and notions in our mind that influences the way we think.

qwertyesque

IF-Rockerz

qwertyesque

Posted: 28 March 2008 at 8:08pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Gauri_3

Nature has gifted us with a thought process, a personal understanding of right and wrong. This perception differs from person to person, but we all apply our moral and ethical perceptions to what we do.

............................................................ .....

I think that "thinking" and "perceiving" are two mutually exclusive things...if you think... you shouldnt be able to distinguish right and wrong... if you perceive you are not free of pre-conceived biases.. in such cases its always  ok to go our granny and get her advice.. Her simplistic answers come across as the true answer.. which is why I feel you have to seek answers for right and wrong in ages when people could "feel" more than they could "think"..Wink

"shouldn't" or "should"?   shouldn't, there is no typo there....

so,  r u saying it's irrelevant whether one thinks or percieves as they still won't be able make right from wrong w/o asking an elder person?

what's right for an 80 year old grand ma may not be right for a 20 year old grand daughter if we take into consideration things that fall outside the morality/ethics bucket.  say for example, the widowed 80 yr old granny is approached by her widowed 23 yr old grand daughter seeking advice on re-marriage.  granny may think it's not appropriate.  should she agree with granny's thinking in this case?  i think your interpretations are skittling away from the point I am trying to make...

qwertyesque

IF-Rockerz

qwertyesque

Posted: 28 March 2008 at 8:11pm | IP Logged

I think that "thinking" and "perceiving" are two mutually exclusive things... if you think... you shouldnt be able to distinguish right and wrong... if you perceive you are not free of pre-conceived biases.. in such cases its always  ok to go our granny and get her advice.. Her simplistic answers come across as the true answer.. which is why I feel you have to seek answers for right and wrong in ages when people could "feel" more than they could "think"..Wink

The dictionary definition distinguishes them as two distinct words. However, they are not mutually exclusive but interdependent. Our thoughts influence our perceptions and our perceptions influence our thoughts. We all have a unique thought process and think things in a different way, which leads to difference in our perceptions. The environment we live in creates perceptions and notions in our mind that influences the way we think.

Interdependent only if you are scientist.. for most the common people and situations, the difference in perceptions is not due to difference in thoughts but more because the pre-conceived notions through upbringing which contribute largely to the perceptions...

Like I said if you "think",  there should be nothing like right or wrong...Smile

Edited by qwertyesque - 28 March 2008 at 8:12pm

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 28 March 2008 at 9:24pm | IP Logged

qwertyesque

IF-Rockerz

qwertyesque

Posted: 28 March 2008 at 9:43pm | IP Logged

"shouldn't" or "should"?   shouldn't, there is no typo there....

so,  r u saying it's irrelevant whether one thinks or percieves as they still won't be able make right from wrong w/o asking an elder person?

what's right for an 80 year old grand ma may not be right for a 20 year old grand daughter if we take into consideration things that fall outside the morality/ethics bucket.  say for example, the widowed 80 yr old granny is approached by her widowed 23 yr old grand daughter seeking advice on re-marriage.  granny may think it's not appropriate.  should she agree with granny's thinking in this case?  i think your interpretations are skittling away from the point I am trying to make...

.....and what exactly is the point u r trying to make here?.....that if u "think" then there should be nothing like "right" or "wrong"!!! right

wouldn't it be same as what i had up in my post.......that our judgment of "right" and "wrong" is influenced by choices we make in life......the way we lead our lives.. the choices not necessarily influence our judgement rather the notion of right or wrong should influence our choices.. just cos a 13 year old takes drugs doesnt make his judgement of 'drugs being right' right,  is it?

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 28 March 2008 at 9:54pm | IP Logged

qwertyesque

IF-Rockerz

qwertyesque

Posted: 28 March 2008 at 10:03pm | IP Logged

the choices not necessarily influence our judgement rather the notion of right or wrong should influence our choices.. just cos a 13 year old takes drugs doesnt make his judgement of 'drugs being right' right,  is it?

that's why i said our thinking pertaining to the decisions falling in that huge grey area that falls outside of the traditional right and wrong stuff.  taking drugs is bad...this is no brainer.  no but if you think you would realize drugs are not bad...

in a utopian world, right and wrong should influence our choices.  unfortunately, we don't live in a perfect world.  people were perfect like 50 years ago and now suddenly they have problems!!???most of the time it's our choices that influence our perception of right or wrong not at all.. ok give an example....  most of the people now a days do not lead their life based on what's right or wrong...except for some of the stuff like 10 commandments as mentioned by someone on this thread. a lot of them do.. because inherently we know carry this info irrespective of actions.. if the choice is bet' good and evil. its almost always goin to be evil thats going to win.. and morality in that case is lost....Smile

we cocoon ourselves in domain of the right and then want our choices to make the statement which seems familiar... and then make a big talk about choices...!!!??? Right and wrong is not relative. it has to be absolute... which is what it has been... otherwise.. you have criminals...walking on the roads cos somebody perceived their motives for crime right...LOL

Edited by qwertyesque - 29 March 2008 at 7:39pm

Post Reply New Post

Go to top