Views

Users

Frequent Posters

SholaJoBhadkey thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago

Originally posted by: Dabulls23

Good one Doll πŸ‘ πŸ˜†

woh tree Darr gaya aur Marr bhi gaya πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜†  They did not match Aish and Tree's horoscopes 😳

Thankoooos πŸ˜³πŸ˜† darr gaya, marr gaya, katt gaya aur shayad chulhey mein jal bhi gaya πŸ˜†

raj5000 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Anuradha

One-year-old boy married to dog in Orissa

Bhubaneswar: Driven by superstition, the family of a one-year-old boy married him off to a dog to keep him free from diseases all his life in Orissa's tribal-dominated Jagatsinghpur district.

The wedding was organised at Munda Sahi of Jagatsinghpur town, only 30 meters away from the district collector's residence.

District Collector Dr PK Meherda said that the incident could be the outcome of the tribal belief.

The infant groom was identified as Sipu, son of Radha Mohan Singh and the six-month-old canine bride was named Moti. The dog was attired in a yellow saree, while the groom was sitting next to her.

A tribal priest performed the rituals in the presence cheering villagers.

------------------------------------------------------------ ----

Many places we have seen where the superstitious belief has taken a step over the humans.. It has been given a superlative status than that of Human belief and feelings...

How much do you believe these beliefs?

Do you think these beliefs really make wonders and change the life of a person?

What ways do you think you can eradicate these beliefs? Or is there one??

There is not need to eradicate such beliefs, it's upto people to follow or not. Apart from billy rasta kaating, really don't care about any others... and don;t lolss on billy kaating take grand mom on ride and tell her...cat crossed the road shall I proceed ahead? (BAM!! πŸ˜‰) ....she might educate on the reason...as am not sure...never had a chance to take mine for a rideπŸ˜†

Also such beliefs gives a kind of physcological kick of optimism or say boost in morale, that can really do wonders. If you don't believe ask Tendulkar why he his padded way before his turn to batπŸ˜‰πŸ˜†

Edited by raj5000 - 16 years ago
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Poor dog, must have looked ridiculous in a yellow saree.

If people want to make a fool of themselves with superstitious beliefs so be it. Following superstition is fine as long as they do not harm others.

Marry an inanimate object since you are Manglik, well it is the girls choice. Marry a dog to cure disease. Dont walk under ladders, black cats, friday the 13th no harm.

The superstitions I am concerned about are myths like "Rape a virgin to cure AIDS". Such superstitions that harm life and environment around us need to be addressed. Abusing fellow humans, endangering plant and animal species in the name of superstition is not good for anybody.

Originally posted by: return_to_hades

Poor dog, must have looked ridiculous in a yellow saree.

If people want to make a fool of themselves with superstitious beliefs so be it. Following superstition is fine as long as they do not harm others.

Marry an inanimate object since you are Manglik, well it is the girls choice. Marry a dog to cure disease. Dont walk under ladders, black cats, friday the 13th no harm.

The superstitions I am concerned about are myths like "Rape a virgin to cure AIDS". Such superstitions that harm life and environment around us need to be addressed. Abusing fellow humans, endangering plant and animal species in the name of superstition is not good for anybody.

good one rth.  with u on the ones that harm others.

corvette thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Gauri_3

good one rth.  with u on the ones that harm others.

Ditto for me too.........was having such a laugh on this thread til I read RTH's post - but seriously, right to show this horrible side to the superstitious practices that are indulged in by some.

Could you tell me RTH - who or where in the world practises this particular type of crap superstitious belief??

The mangaleeyak (M) thing is in my family..one of my cousins....she's on her third husband....but still dont wanna believe it. Wish someone had told her marrying a tree would do the trick....although I heard the only cure was for an M to marry and M ????

😑M😑....which, incidentally stands for MadMadgirl......not Mangaleeyak....

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: Madmadgirl

Could you tell me RTH - who or where in the world practises this particular type of crap superstitious belief??

While it tends to be exaggerated  a lot there definitely is a myth prevailing in rural Africa that intercourse with a virgin cures aids. Some parts of China still follow the practice of foot binding. Many cultures still require female circumcision even if illegal by law. In India superstitions like untouchables have led to physical and and emotional abuse.
hindu4lyf thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Arre yaar, yeh toh kuch nahi hain!
I read on BBC a few weeks back about how thousands of villagers gathered to marry off two monkeys who they thought were deeply in love! πŸ˜› πŸ˜†
and err just yesterday i read that they burnt a villager alive because one jotshi told them that there she is a witch and out of the 10 woman suspects, most of them agreed to the crime and said 'oh yeah, shes inauspicious, we had to kill her before she killed us all' WTH! I mean the article even stated that this lady was just one out of hundreds that had been called a witch and burnt alive!
Superstition? hmm to a certain extent with very very small things though nothing such where superstition affects my life as such! πŸ˜•
A lot of people in India choose not to think of it as superstition but as part of 'culture' or some people even justify using religion which makes abolsutely no sense but whose to explain to these people..
corvette thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: hindu4lyf

Arre yaar, yeh toh kuch nahi hain!
I read on BBC a few weeks back about how thousands of villagers gathered to marry off two monkeys who they thought were deeply in love! πŸ˜› πŸ˜†
and err just yesterday i read that they burnt a villager alive because one jotshi told them that there she is a witch and out of the 10 woman suspects, most of them agreed to the crime and said 'oh yeah, shes inauspicious, we had to kill her before she killed us all' WTH! I mean the article even stated that this lady was just one out of hundreds that had been called a witch and burnt alive!
Superstition? hmm to a certain extent with very very small things though nothing such where superstition affects my life as such! πŸ˜•
A lot of people in India choose not to think of it as superstition but as part of 'culture' or some people even justify using religion which makes abolsutely no sense but whose to explain to these people..

Yeah, I read that too.....sick, sick, sick.........🀒

part of me thinks superstition is simply a tool used by the uneducated to maintain control through fear of other ignorant or vulnerable people......

My husband had an aunt who longed for a child and hadnt conceived for about 10 years... God only knows whose crappy suggestions she took but she pretty much took most of them.

It's an extreme example, but we believe she was sexually abused during one of these "cures" by a priest.

As God would have it, she went on to have 2 children but developed mental illness (I suspect PND - but before my entry to family) which lead to severe bouts of depression resulting in her eventually killing herself by drowning in the hospital grounds - her son was a year old and her daughter about 3 years.

A tragic, tragic case.....who knows .......but it is common belief that the problem started by following superstitious beliefs which led to sucha  bad outcome.....

My belief is that society also has a part to play in not condemning these ridiculous practices, but then I guess its not so if you really believe them to be true.....

😑M😑