Debate Mansion

India-Forums

Why Poor (Page 8)

raj5000 Moderator
raj5000
raj5000

Posted: 26 March 2008 at 9:34am | IP Logged
Originally posted by sweetmagic4u

So there's street smart, IQ smart, hardworking, opportunity, and luck..etc etc etc

I think it takes a combination of at least two to get rich... will bump it to 4(including etc no hardfast thooLOL)

What do you guys think of:

(a) Spoiled brats of rich parents - Stop allowances and throw then out of the house then we might get to see capabilities of Mr. Brat.
(b) Game show winners - Lucky (to get the answers rightLOL)
(c) lottery winners  -
Bery Bery Lucky to have bought that ticket and kept it safe
(d) gold-diggers (either gender) - How do u know they are unless they actually get gold? LOL would say hardwork paid off..with tons of  luck

Just curious Embarrassed

~Shalini~

Gauri_3 IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 26 March 2008 at 9:41am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.
qwertyesque IF-Rockerz
qwertyesque
qwertyesque

Posted: 26 March 2008 at 9:49am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Gauri_3

generally speaking, iq correlates with academic success more and one does not need to be an academician to be successful in life. agreed, the poor need to work much harder to rise above all the constraints they r working with but it's doable if they really want to do it.

i also don't believe that people stay poor because they r inherently more "moral" or "god-fearing" than those who r doing better economically.

spastic society in bandra mumbai had an inmate whose IQ was 192 which is like better than einsteins i think and 92 % of his brain was filled with fluids and useless.. so anybody who has a lower IQ + academic success need to compete with this guy or should look into the camera and say.. although I have great education I am not smarter than a spastic...LOLLOLLOL

Gauri_3 IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 26 March 2008 at 9:57am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.
qwertyesque IF-Rockerz
qwertyesque
qwertyesque

Posted: 26 March 2008 at 10:01am | IP Logged

Originally posted by qwertyesque

generally speaking, iq correlates with academic success more and one does not need to be an academician to be successful in life. agreed, the poor need to work much harder to rise above all the constraints they r working with but it's doable if they really want to do it.

i also don't believe that people stay poor because they r inherently more "moral" or "god-fearing" than those who r doing better economically.

spastic society in bandra mumbai had an inmate whose IQ was 192 which is like better than einsteins i think and 92 % of his brain was filled with fluids and useless.. so anybody who has a lower IQ + academic success need to compete with this guy or should look into the camera and say.. although I have great education I am not smarter than a spastic...LOLLOLLOL

...and the point u r trying to make here is?????Confused

i think pretty much all agree so far that iq does contribute to ones success but can't ensure it alone if motivation/zeal is lacking.  as it is, i am not talking about the poor becoming doctors or engineers overnite....and now that we r at it...i also don't believe that businessmen have low iqsWink 

all i'm saying is that the poor can atleast start with some life-style altering choices first....that is, if they really want to move up the socio-economic ladder.

The point i am making is IQ has no relevance in this thread...whatsoever.. except complex problem solving of scientific kind, IQ has no real role... anywhere in post-academic... achievements..just like academic acheivements act like a placebo in the corporate world...Wink.. If these so call high academic achievers hide their certificates and let their IQ do the talking I am sure most these will look absolutely ordinary...LOL

Edited by qwertyesque - 26 March 2008 at 10:23am
sweetmagic4u Goldie
sweetmagic4u
sweetmagic4u

Posted: 26 March 2008 at 10:03am | IP Logged

all i'm saying is that the poor can atleast start with some life-style altering choices first....that is, if they really want to move up the socio-economic ladder.

I agree, but sometimes it requires extreme sacrifice. Like there's a difference being poor with a family and a difference being poor and being alone without any constraints.

This topic reminds me of that girl who grew-up with druggie parents/slums, and worked so hard that she got into Yale and is now a top-class lawyer. But she was alone with no family...

Edited by sweetmagic4u - 26 March 2008 at 10:03am
sweetmagic4u Goldie
sweetmagic4u
sweetmagic4u

Posted: 26 March 2008 at 10:08am | IP Logged
Originally posted by raj5000

Originally posted by sweetmagic4u

So there's street smart, IQ smart, hardworking, opportunity, and luck..etc etc etc

I think it takes a combination of at least two to get rich... will bump it to 4(including etc no hardfast thooLOL)

What do you guys think of:

(a) Spoiled brats of rich parents - Stop allowances and throw then out of the house then we might get to see capabilities of Mr. Brat.
(b) Game show winners - Lucky (to get the answers rightLOL)
(c) lottery winners  -
Bery Bery Lucky to have bought that ticket and kept it safe
(d) gold-diggers (either gender) - How do u know they are unless they actually get gold? LOL would say hardwork paid off..with tons of  luck

Just curious Embarrassed

~Shalini~

Nice! I liked the point u made about keeping the ticket safe, that's hardwork tooLOL Yeah I guess gold-diggers work hard too, selecting victim, etc.Tongue

chatbuster IF-Rockerz
chatbuster
chatbuster

Deactivated on request

Posted: 26 March 2008 at 10:14am | IP Logged

...and the point u r trying to make here is?????Confused

i think pretty much all agree so far that iq does contribute to ones success but can't ensure it alone if motivation/zeal is lacking.  as it is, i am not talking about the poor becoming doctors or engineers overnite....and now that we r at it...i also don't believe that businessmen have low iqsWink 

The point i am making is IQ has no relevance in this thread...whatsoever.. except complex problem solving of scientific kind, IQ has no real role... anywhere in post-academic... achievements..just like academic acheivements are just act like a placebo in the corporate world...Wink

it does. it's one of the factors that can contribute to success, lift someone out of poverty. it's another thing that people with high iqs might not be motivated enuff or find it mentally rewarding to take the route necessary for financial success. it's like any other useful ability- but cant help it if one doesnt use it.Wink

also, all else equal, the guy with a higher iq has more odds of success than say a 70 to 90 iq guy. i think.Wink

btw, since when is just being an academician a poor thing?LOL and since when did they generally start admitting folks to good institutions that have 70-90 iqs?LOL those institutions do in turn provide greater opportunities for success later on, dont they?Smile

Edited by chatbuster - 26 March 2008 at 10:15am

Go to top