Post Reply New Post

Page 7 of 13

chatbuster

IF-Rockerz

chatbuster

Deactivated on request

Posted: 26 March 2008 at 12:21am | IP Logged
Originally posted by raj5000

yes.  i am still maintaining that they r not born with low IQs.  

Glad to hear that....Nobody is, does IQ granter provider IQ based on who can be rich or poor, guess not. But type casting poor as having low IQ is not right IMO.Smile

[/QUOTE]

on the contrary, i think people are born with different IQ levels- it's a combination of nature/ genes and nurture. and sadly i think the poor do have lower IQs/ brains. am not talking narrowly here about what they would score on a standardized test, but on a broader definition of "brains". 

apart from genes, the lower IQ might be attributable to their circumstances- poor health and nutrition, limited opportunities for advancement, to gain exposure, limited education and confidence levels etc. These all play a symbiotic role in how the brain/ mind and in fact the entire personality develops, and in whether someone would have the zeal or the talent to rise above their station in life.

as for typecasting, that's what the debate is about. not that we are necessarily doing it for any noble reasons, but typecasting is implicitly what researchers do to develop solutions.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Why Poor (Page 7)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

corvette

IF-Rockerz

corvette

Posted: 26 March 2008 at 6:18am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Morning_Dew

Here is another debate:

Poor people are poor , cause they have low IQs , otherwise, they would've made their own ways eventually to get rich ..Nah....that's not itLOL   You wanna meet my husband's Gran mate! I've never met a person of her age who are usually expected to lose their marbles......and she outwits us everytime! The saying in my family is "God only knows what would have happened if she had been eduacated!!!!"                 

Or

It is nothing to do with IQ it is more of the chances of opportunity .Much more likely to be the answer. Somebody has to break the mould somewhere though. If you look at a lot of the people that came from Indai tot he UK they came here for a better way of life and worked their socks off to try and get for themselves and principally for their children. A lot of that hard work is now reaping benefits in the educated classes we have today certainly in the UK that are now comfortable and enjoying high standards of living.

But if those same people had stayed in India, I'm not so sure they would be quite where they are now.......attitudes are different there. It seems though globally the rich do keep getting richer whilst the poor are eternally poor.

Really unfair.

AngryMAngry

sweetmagic4u

Goldie

sweetmagic4u

Posted: 26 March 2008 at 7:33am | IP Logged
Originally posted by qwertyesque

If killing and robbing is not a punishable crime.. there wont be any poor people.... Smile

poverty is the state initiated by subliminal dilemma bet' the right and wrong, good and the bad...

What about hard-fast moralists? Poverty does not necessarily mean everyone will forsake morals.

And ironically, I'm usually not an optimistTongue

Edited by sweetmagic4u - 26 March 2008 at 7:34am

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 26 March 2008 at 7:36am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

sweetmagic4u

Goldie

sweetmagic4u

Posted: 26 March 2008 at 7:57am | IP Logged

So there's street smart, IQ smart, hardworking, opportunity, and luck..

I think it takes a combination of at least two to get rich...

What do you guys think of:

(a) Spoiled brats of rich parents
(b) Game show winners
(c) lottery winners 

(d) gold-diggers (either gender)

Just curious Embarrassed

~Shalini~

Edited by sweetmagic4u - 26 March 2008 at 8:01am

qwertyesque

IF-Rockerz

qwertyesque

Posted: 26 March 2008 at 8:54am | IP Logged
Originally posted by sweetmagic4u

Originally posted by qwertyesque

If killing and robbing is not a punishable crime.. there wont be any poor people.... Smile

poverty is the state initiated by subliminal dilemma bet' the right and wrong, good and the bad...

What about hard-fast moralists? Poverty does not necessarily mean everyone will forsake morals.

And ironically, I'm usually not an optimistTongue

thats what i am saying some do it and others can't that confusion remains on teh boundary of right and wrong....if I could do wrong I could be rich... Smile

raj5000

raj5000

Posted: 26 March 2008 at 9:22am | IP Logged
Originally posted by chatbuster

Originally posted by raj5000

Originally posted by Gauri_3

yes.  i am still maintaining that they r not born with low IQs.  

Glad to hear that....Nobody is, does IQ granter provider IQ based on who can be rich or poor, guess not. But type casting poor as having low IQ is not right IMO.Smile

on the contrary, i think people are born with different IQ levels- it's a combination of nature/ genes and nurture. and sadly i think the poor do have lower IQs/ brains. am not talking narrowly here about what they would score on a standardized test, but on a broader definition of "brains". 

apart from genes, the lower IQ might be attributable to their circumstances- poor health and nutrition, limited opportunities for advancement, to gain exposure, limited education and confidence levels etc. These all play a symbiotic role in how the brain/ mind and in fact the entire personality develops, and in whether someone would have the zeal or the talent to rise above their station in life.

as for typecasting, that's what the debate is about. not that we are necessarily doing it for any noble reasons, but typecasting is implicitly what researchers do to develop solutions.

First of all, we might have to define I/Q then, am strictly off of measure of intellegence. More of efficiency/capability of brain.Smile

Nuture, that you mentioned, is an interesting point...nuture might help feeding the right information/instruction to the brain, but w/o level of I/Q within individual will be of no use.

chatbuster

IF-Rockerz

chatbuster

Deactivated on request

Posted: 26 March 2008 at 9:23am | IP Logged
^^ i think iq does correlate with success. it puts someone at a certain level, though it might not be enuff by itself to predict how well they might actually perform at that level. attitude, emotional intelligence also count.

also, high iq people are not necessarily motivated or find it mentally stimulating to go after the things that make them successful, making it a weaker correlation. but if they are motivated, they tend to reach the higher states of accomplishment more easily. iq gives someone that ability.

that said, the poor do have a disadvantage when it comes to iq- as a result of both genetic and environmental factors. they have to work that much harder to rise above it all i think.

Edited by chatbuster - 26 March 2008 at 9:25am

Post Reply New Post

Go to top