Virtual world is more real? - Page 3

Posted: 16 years ago
Originally posted by SholaJoBhadkey

Agree with what you have said. I was just taking your point a bit further when I said I wouldn't even form a judgement based on what I read. πŸ˜›

unless one is interacting with the same people all the time, i'd not even bother making judgments about them. i mean who cares whether they are really jerks or whether they are all sweet and peachy-like and really aishwarya raisπŸ˜†

Originally posted by chatbuster

would u call hillary intelligent/ stupid? look at bill and his cheatin' heartπŸ˜‰

Neither - I would call her an opportunist 😊

PS - Wrong example CB - nor is she good-looking πŸ˜‰

Originally posted by SholaJoBhadkey

Neither - I would call her an opportunist 😊

lol, but that's evading the answer. either she's intelligent or she's not. how does one get to be neither?

PS - Wrong example CB - nor is she good-looking πŸ˜‰

i know people in RL but cant go there.😊 in any case, let's not get picky if the bigger point is clear.πŸ˜†

i know people in RL but cant go there.😊 in any case, let's not get picky if the bigger point is clear.πŸ˜† 

depends. if the guy is charming he can always lie through his teeth. gals might even see through it but they cant help themselves. wldnt find so many otherwise intelligent good-looking ones making a total ass of themselves πŸ˜‰πŸ˜†

i think that goes both ways.  sjb was not talking about the guys only.  sweet talkers and charmers who take others for a ride can be found in both genders.  the issue here is whether it's easier to take someone for a ride in vl vs. rl.  

i feel if one is smitten and decided to not use common sense, whatever may be the reasons, then they shd not be blaming the charmers when they finally get ditched....whether in vl or rl.  after all taking full ownership of ur goof ups bhi toh koi cheez haiπŸ˜†  intelligent na sahee, responsible toh ho hee saktey hain na...accountable toh ho hee saktey hain naπŸ˜›

people can choose to ignore the obvious signs whether in vl or in rl due to various factors.  may be they like taken for a ride.  may be they r just naive.  may be they just love spending time with the charmer and feel it's worth taking the risks.  it could be any reason yaar.  don't know why everyone cribs so much about getting deceived in vl then.  pretty much all know the stakes from the very beginning...hai ki naheen.  it's kinda like blaming gajji for all dramabazi and still watching asvoi or still auditioning for asvoiπŸ˜†

btw, cb, tumhari intelligent and good-looking gals sey kuchh yaad aayaa:

A married couple is driving along the highway doing a steady fourty miles per hour. The wife is behind the wheel. Her husband abruptly looks across at her, speaking in a clear voice, and says "Darling, I know we've been married for twenty years, but I want a divorce."

The wife says nothing, keeping her eyes on the road ahead but slowly increases her speed to 45 mph.

The husband speaks again, saying this time: "I don't want you to try and talk me out of it, because I've been having an affair with your best friend, and she's a far better lover than you."

Again the wife stays quiet, but grips the steering wheel more tightly and slowly increases the speed to 55.

He pushes his luck. "I want the house," he demands. Up to 60 mph. "I want the car, too," he continues. 65 mph! "And," he says, "I'll have the bank accounts, all the credit cards, the boat, and our dog!"

The car slowly begins veering towards a massive concrete bridge. This makes him a wee bit nervous, so he asks her: "Isn't there anything you want?"

At last the wife replies - in a quiet and controlled voice. "No, I've got everything I need." she says.

"Oh, really?" he inquires, "So what exactly have you got?

Just before they slam into the wall at 75 mph, the wife turns to him and says…………… "The airbag."

Never underestimate the rationalization of a woman.πŸ˜‰ it may be faulty but it's always thereπŸ˜†...okie...i knowwww....it's a pj😳

Edited by Gauri_3 - 16 years ago
Originally posted by Gauri_3

i think that goes both ways.  sjb was not talking about the guys only.  sweet talkers and charmers who take others for a ride can be found in both genders.  the issue here is whether it's easier to take someone for a ride in vl vs. rl. 

i thought that was obvious. it goes both ways. πŸ˜Š

i feel if one is smitten and decided to not use common sense, whatever may be the reasons, then they shd not be blaming the charmers when they finally get ditched....whether in vl or rl.  after all taking full ownership of ur goof ups bhi toh koi cheez haiπŸ˜†  intelligent na sahee, responsible toh ho hee saktey hain na...accountable toh ho hee saktey hain naπŸ˜›

people can choose to ignore the obvious signs whether in vl or in rl due to various factors.  may be they like taken for a ride.  may be they r just naive.  may be they just love spending time with the charmer and feel it's worth taking the risks.  it could be any reason yaar.  don't know why everyone cribs so much about getting deceived in vl then.  pretty much all know the stakes from the very beginning...hai ki naheen.  it's kinda like blaming gajji for all dramabazi and still watching asvoi or still auditioning for asvoiπŸ˜†

btw, cb, tumhari intelligent and good-looking gals sey kuchh yaad aayaa:

well said otherwise.

personally i could care less whether the person on the other end is in actuality a fat ugly thing. in fact i'd prefer to be taken for a ride here and think she's gorgeous. it's so much more pleasant to think she's nice, to go with the imagination and with what she's projecting. cant see the downside when one knows fully well that one aint doing the seven rounds around the fire with her in RL.πŸ˜† i mean one can be stupid, but that stupid as to not know?😊

but i think most stuff is easy to see through. only place one can really get away with is on the physical looks. for example, one meets very few females in the virtual world who cant match Helen of Troy for looks, though i've met one or two.πŸ˜‰πŸ˜† and to be fair, guys who are casanovas personified. πŸ˜†but these exaggerations should not matter unless the only titillations one can get are in VL and has their life hanging on what the other person is really like on the other side of the virtual line. doesnt do a lot for folks who get their jollies in RL. πŸ˜‰

πŸ˜† Now why would one spend their preciuos time with Helen of Troys in vl when one can get all their jollies and dollies in rl.. πŸ˜‰

But when we see folks spending close to 5-10-20 hours a week on a site with same people, it matters just as it does in rl about honesty being the norm. Can't have one set of rules for accepting people in rl and another for vl. Besides a lot of people on vl claim to have made lifelong friends , one of the many benefits of the internet. Can't deny the fact that we are witnessing the true emergence of the internet as powerful personal and social phenomenon not just for folks who want to have "fun" whatever fun that might be but for other unsuspecting sincere folks everywhere looking to forge genuine friendships.

as for resumes, i think it's silly for people to try to sell themselves on that basis or for others to rely on stated resumes alone. there's far more useful revelations that come from how/ what one writes than historical data which may or not be exaggerated. that's why even in RL we hire people based on personal interviews, not on resumes alone. cant believe people wld be so dumb as to go on resumes alone, but then what do i know?πŸ˜† 

Resume is not a moot point , just a metaphor.

personally i come to the forums to have some laughs, and occasionally for some serious stuff. it's a cheap lazy way to recreate the scenes that wld start at 11pm with the guys/ gals back home. generally i've tried hard to keep the personal info out though that did drop out in a rash moment or two of indiscretion. it's hard i think to meet someone from your background/ college and not get carried away on the spur of the moment into divulging one's own affiliations. still, aside from a personal connection, those resume type data dont do much for me. i let the words do the talking.😊

Withholding personal data to maintain anonimity is fine in vl but we are talking about people engaging in boasting, embellishment  or misrepresenting themselves or their views for whatever the heck their personal agenda is. not sure if  I want to have laughs with such people no matter how eloquent their verbosity or writings are and call it time well spent. 

Lying has all sorts of negative connotations to it and it seems that in vl people put more effort in sending inaccurate messages. My point being that shadier side of human nature is more rampant in vl then in rl. I just find it odd to have different standards of acceptance for VLPeople and RLP.

Forget about being taken on a ride one on one but people react negatively to celebrities and public figures when some previously unknown truth or shocking aspect about their lives becomes public and that happens even when we don't have any personal interaction with them, so yes honesty does matter to all of us after all as trust is the glue that holds society together

The virtual world is an additional channel for communication and expression. You can find people who share common interests, get to know diverse people and engage in some fulfilling interaction. People online are less inhibited due to the anonymity factor and distance. Most of the time people tend to let be themselves and feel more willing to say or do things online than they would in the real world. [Extreme example: Person maybe law abiding citizen but is a active and respected member on a Neo Nazi forum]

Most people try to be genuine. Even people who may come online to find online romances or flirt around will be more or less honest. People may tell white lies or exaggerate things, but people do that in real life too.

However, there is a whole world of people who feel that the anonymity and distance factor are the perfect factors for abuse and deception. They use it as a shield to harass and abuse people. There are kids and adults alike who enjoy posing as various multiple personalities and seeing how many people they can make a fool of. Some do it for kicks, some do it to make a quick buck, some people do it for sex.

I would not point fingers at any gender or group. Anyone can be deceitful online. Men and women both can be charming and take people for a ride for kicks, money or sex. There are predators who try to lure children, at the same time there are kids online actively trying to get into sexual encounters - some even lie about their ages. There are grown ups and kids alike who use the internet to blackmail and harass people.

Well even though I have tread into the darker more morbid side of virtual reality, the truth is actual deceivers and manipulators are rare. Personally, I would not call white lies and a few stretched realities to be harmful - people do that in the real world to impress, get out of trouble, consciously-subconsciously all the time. Negative stuff always makes headlines which is why we are constantly reminded of the darker sides of the internet. No one wants to write about a happy forum get together and things like that.

When online be genuine, honest and careful. If you be honest and open, you will most likely meet similar people. There is nothing wrong with online friends or even caring for them. Whether you want to keep it just online or meet them for real is also your choice. Music fan forums often have get togethers where fans meet up with each other at concerts, events. Sometimes a group of people on a forum can meet up. I've known a bunch of European kids who have made online friends, visited each other, hung out even gathered for a cross country road trip across Europe.

There is more good in the world than it seems.

Yet, I will leave you all with an interesting recommendation. Watch the movie 'Hard Candy'! The story is about a 32 year old photographer who flirts with a fourteen year old online and charms her into meeting him, their encounter leads into a few interesting twists and turns. Anyone seen it? What did you think?

Originally posted by lighthouse

Withholding personal data to maintain anonimity is fine in vl but we are talking about people engaging in boasting, embellishment  or misrepresenting themselves or their views for whatever the heck their personal agenda is. not sure if  I want to have laughs with such people no matter how eloquent their verbosity or writings are and call it time well spent. 

depends why someone comes to the forums. personally i cant be bothered whether someone's boasting, embellishing or whatever, though that distracts from their ideas. bottom-line for me are what they write/ the latest one-liners they have. it worked that way for the longest time till someone angrily pointed out that one shldnt be getting aggressive with a respected elderly female in VL.πŸ˜‰ that's when one began to notice IDs.

but come on. arent people capable enough to find their voice even in the virtual world that they have to pull rank, throw around resumes, and rely on sermonising others? folks who cant be brave enuff even in the relative anonymity of VL that they have to rally cronies for support? fine, maybe they are timid in RL, but VL? something surely seems to be lacking somewhere if they cant get beyond personalities and assess ideas alone. those types sure seem to come to forums to form assorted weird relationships. dont know what's missing in their RL that they have to. not very intellectually forthright too if u ask me. πŸ˜‰ if one were to make judgments, it shld be on those things, not on their obvious exaggerations πŸ˜‰

Edited by chatbuster - 16 years ago
Originally posted by lighthouse

πŸ˜† Now why would one spend their preciuos time with Helen of Troys in vl when one can get all their jollies and dollies in rl.. πŸ˜‰

looks like we missed out on the fine print earlier.πŸ˜‰ it's a cheap lazy way to get some laughs. and while we are at it, we might as well imagine we are with helen of troy, not some repulsively hideous thing.πŸ˜†

btw, are you saying that people come to the forums because they cant get their jollies in RL?πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰