Debate Mansion

Developing country? (Page 7)

Post Reply New Post

Page 7 of 11

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 06 April 2008 at 12:25pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Developing country? (Page 7)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

SholaJoBhadkey

IF-Dazzler

SholaJoBhadkey

Posted: 06 April 2008 at 12:33pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Gauri_3

Trying to recap all that got posted here and how it's relevant to the topic.

Along with basic necessities the issues such as healthcare, education, per capita income, social welfare, the state of infrastructure and public amnities do act as indicators of how developed a country is.  The more developed a country is, the better is the state of all mentioned above. 

According to the annual survey by the Berlin-based organization Transparency International, Finland, Denmark, and New Zealand are perceived to be the world's least corrupt countries ( Sweden, Singapore, Iceland, Switzerland, the Netherlands, Canada and Norway completing the top ten), and Somalia and Myanmar are perceived to be the most corrupt. The remaining 8 were Iraq, Haiti, Uzbekistan, Tonga, Sudan, Chad, Afghanistan and Laos, in that order.

Corruption acts as a barrier to development.  Lack of funds is a problem faced by many developing nations but I feel that bigger problem is skimming the funds earmarked for developmental projects...be it in the field of healthcare, education or improving the state of public amneties.  If the funds reach where they are supposed to, the country's status will eventually lift up.  Now, some claim corruption is there in the developing countries also.  Agreed, but the key is to see how prevalent it is in a developed country than a developing nation and how critically it affects the general public at the end of the day. 

Along with corruption, the general mind set of common public also creates the differences we see among developed vs. developing countries.  It is more common to see utter disrespect of public property in developing countries than the developed countries.  I am not saying that developed countries do not have any abuse at all....but compared to the developing countries, that abuse is relatively less. 

Clap great summary Smile

chatbuster

IF-Rockerz

chatbuster

Deactivated on request

Posted: 06 April 2008 at 12:41pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by SholaJoBhadkey

Originally posted by chatbuster

I know! The rest of them needing elevation have, in the meantime, the roadsides and the fields! What a great promo for India ShiningWink LOL

kya yaar. ab wohi sui ka chutkala sabko sunana hoga? yaa woh chutkala khali doosre logon peh laagu hota hai? jab apna record naheen chalta?WinkLOL

Flog kartey kartey thak gaye, ya jawab nahin soojha? WinkLOL 

what do u think? more than love for flogging, i dread chutkalas. u know, the chutkalas where what's good for the goose aint good for the gander.Wink

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 06 April 2008 at 12:43pm | IP Logged

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 06 April 2008 at 2:48pm | IP Logged

chatbuster

IF-Rockerz

chatbuster

Deactivated on request

Posted: 06 April 2008 at 5:35pm | IP Logged

The debate topic is:

Originally posted by Raj5000

Question comes how does one define a developing nation, is it economic growth? OR per capita income? OR happiness index of citizens? OR increase in education/special skills? or something else?

lol. thanks for the reminder. now i suppose for "something else" above, we found public toilets as a serious contender?Tongue at the same level of importance as economic growth, per capita income, happiness index of citizens, education/ special skills? LOLhope we can excuse someone for thinking it was half meant as a joke and perhaps off-topic to start with? Wink

but fine if one insist we shld take up the cause of public toilets for serious consideration. will surely recommend it to the next council of economic/ development advisors. Winkhey, some of us do have some pull around there, always happy to help outLOL

All the examples that were provided were of the "indicators" only.....not a chronological order of what needs to be addressed first for those countries to progress forward. 

Somehow, the debate derailed to what's more important keeping the scarce resources in mind.  While it is a valid thought, it still falls outside this debate's premise.  We can have a separate debate on what problems/issues should be addressed first when resources are scarce....and trust me, roti, kapda aur makan do take precendence in that scenario.

that's your take on it. they do also take precedence in terms of indicators. trust me too on that. Tonguethat's how we get CPI/ PPI and various housing indices. yet to see a public-toilet indicator make it to the council's report, but then we might not have seen everything, what say? Tongue

now to the extent that indicators are used to indicate/ measure something, i happen to think it's more relevant to be measuring the progress one has made in terms of fulfilling basic needs. needs and indicators aint exactly divorced from each other. pointless measuring something that no one needs. so a good debate can include need identification too. Wink

Hopefully, it clears any misconceptions regarding the intentions behind the examples of "indicators" given here.    

ditto.Tongue

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 06 April 2008 at 7:51pm | IP Logged

chatbuster

IF-Rockerz

chatbuster

Deactivated on request

Posted: 06 April 2008 at 9:30pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by chatbuster

The debate topic is:

Originally posted by Raj5000

Question comes how does one define a developing nation, is it economic growth? OR per capita income? OR happiness index of citizens? OR increase in education/special skills? or something else?

lol. thanks for the reminder. now i suppose for "something else" above, we found public toilets as a serious contender?Tongue at the same level of importance as economic growth, per capita income, happiness index of citizens, education/ special skills? LOLhope we can excuse someone for thinking it was half meant as a joke and perhaps off-topic to start with? Wink

If precedence was asked and then only PUBLIC FACILITIES were mentioned, I could have understood where you are coming from.

but fine if one insist we shld take up the cause of public toilets for serious consideration. will surely recommend it to the next council of economic/ development advisors. Winkhey, some of us do have some pull around there, always happy to help outLOL

Dude, the debate is neither about "seriously considering" the cause of the indicators nor about how to adress them.  It is about indicators only and that too in no set precedence. 

All the examples that were provided were of the "indicators" only.....not a chronological order of what needs to be addressed first for those countries to progress forward. 

Somehow, the debate derailed to what's more important keeping the scarce resources in mind.  While it is a valid thought, it still falls outside this debate's premise.  We can have a separate debate on what problems/issues should be addressed first when resources are scarce....and trust me, roti, kapda aur makan do take precendence in that scenario.

that's your take on it. they do also take precedence in terms of indicators.

They may but it was not asked here.  Let's not keep forgetting that.

trust me too on that. Tonguethat's how we get CPI/ PPI and various housing indices. yet to see a public-toilet indicator make it to the council's report, but then we might not have seen everything, what say? Tongue

now to the extent that indicators are used to indicate/ measure something, i happen to think it's more relevant to be measuring the progress one has made in terms of fulfilling basic needs. needs and indicators aint exactly divorced from each other. pointless measuring something that no one needs. so a good debate can include need identification too. Wink

See the quote below.  Public facilities also indicate the development.  Since precedence was not asked, I wouldn't be too stuck on it....but then, that's just me.

Hopefully, it clears any misconceptions regarding the intentions behind the examples of "indicators" given here.    

ditto.Tongue

Is it really so hard to get that the state of public facilities is also an indicatorOuch Memory refresher from Page 3Smile

My point was that in any country, basic public facilities are a huge indicator of its developmental status, hence the rather crude but basic example Smile

Okay, lemme rephrase it once again:

Does the state of public facilities in a country indicate it's developmental status?

Sweet and simple yes/no or agree/disagree question here.  Let's see how we do on itSmile

lol. dudette, arent u the one who's fixated on somehow getting pubic toilets into the mix of development indicators and then contrarily suggesting that others are stuck on some sui-thing when they respond to that? i mean, can we be consistent? as for the word precedence, u put it out there first. didnt u now? cant have what's good for the goose not being good for the gander kinda speeches now, can we? Wink

as for what else we could have, do we next start enumerating anything and everything that could remotely be indicators? some kitchen sink indicator? or some hem-line indicator? those could also be somehow converted into indicators now, but that wld be a pretty kiddish thing to do, wldnt it? after all, any kid can come up with endless lists, cant they? Winkfwiw, there's always implicit prioritization when we come up with stuff. just comes down to how much value-add one's aiming for in terms of serious analysis. cant be too hard to see that too, is it?Wink

Edited by chatbuster - 06 April 2008 at 9:39pm

Post Reply New Post

Go to top