Post Reply New Post

Page 11 of 11

Page 1 Page 10
Page   of 11

chal_phek_mat

chal_phek_mat

Posted: 10 April 2008 at 12:00pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Gauri_3

Trying to recap all that got posted here and how it's relevant to the topic.

Along with basic necessities the issues such as healthcare, education, per capita income, social welfare, the state of infrastructure and public amnities do act as indicators of how developed a country is.

wow this sounds like measuring gas in gallon in one location and in litres in another, is that equivalentWink

every factor should be counted, not just favourable to one side of debateLOL

how about adding factors like population/sq mile

homogenous/hetrogenous nature of population?

cost of living

quality of living(i.e happiness index)

treatment of a fellow citizen in a humane way

The more developed a country is, the better is the state of all mentioned above. 

provided every facet of the "better" is coveredLOL

Corruption acts as a barrier to development. 

depends on what you call corruptionWink

Company A goes to a politician running for president and says, you support this legislation, I will support your election campaign=lobbying/corruption

on the other hand a case should be made, this sort of corruption and growth opportunity is only afforded to a particular set of people vs in other places where this sort of "developmental" opportunity" is available to everyoneWink 

Lack of funds is a problem faced by many developing nations but I feel that bigger problem is skimming the funds earmarked for developmental projects...(pork barrel projects, I guess, hmmmLOL)be it in the field of healthcare, education or improving the state of public amneties.  If the funds reach where they are supposed to, the country's status will eventually lift up.(well it is a simple primal behaviour, bigger/stronger fish have to be fed first, then only the smaller fish are going to get something to eatLOL)  Now, some claim corruption is there in the developing countries also.  Agreed, but the key is to see how prevalent it is in a developed country than a developing nation and how critically it affects the general public at the end of the day, yeah, the fact that it is not made available to the aam-janta equates to discrimination flies in the face of your earlier point of "social equality".LOL 

Along with corruption, the general mind set of common public also creates the differences we see among developed vs. developing countries.  It is more common to see utter disrespect of public property in developing countries than the developed countries. I am not saying that developed countries do not have any abuse at all....but compared to the developing countries, that abuse is relatively less.  that is a population vs availability of resources problem, got nothing to do with developed/developing nationWink

In other topics

people talk about Scandanavian nationsLOL look at how the cartoon of the prophet issue is dealt with, look at the whole picture 

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Developing country? (Page 11)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 10 April 2008 at 12:28pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 10 April 2008 at 6:41pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by chal_phek_mat

Trying to recap all that got posted here and how it's relevant to the topic.

Along with basic necessities the issues such as healthcare, education, per capita income, social welfare, the state of infrastructure and public amnities do act as indicators of how developed a country is.

wow this sounds like measuring gas in gallon in one location and in litres in another, is that equivalentWink

every factor should be counted, not just favourable to one side of debateLOL

True all aspects have to be looked at. There are two sides to a coin, pros and cons to everything. A country that lacks in one aspect makes up in another. I would consider the following to be derivatives of socio-economic factors.

how about adding factors like population/sq mile

homogenous/hetrogenous nature of population?

cost of living

quality of living(i.e happiness index)

treatment of a fellow citizen in a humane way

The more developed a country is, the better is the state of all mentioned above. 

provided every facet of the "better" is coveredLOL

Corruption acts as a barrier to development. 

depends on what you call corruptionWink

Company A goes to a politician running for president and says, you support this legislation, I will support your election campaign=lobbying/corruption

on the other hand a case should be made, this sort of corruption and growth opportunity is only afforded to a particular set of people vs in other places where this sort of "developmental" opportunity" is available to everyoneWink

In my opinion both forms of corruption are detrimental. The only difference is the overall impact and how quick the effect takes place. In fact I would say outright corruption is better as it is visible and people are aware of it. Implicit white collar corruption is not visible and slowly eats away without anyone being aware of it.

Lack of funds is a problem faced by many developing nations but I feel that bigger problem is skimming the funds earmarked for developmental projects...(pork barrel projects, I guess, hmmmLOL)be it in the field of healthcare, education or improving the state of public amneties.  If the funds reach where they are supposed to, the country's status will eventually lift up.(well it is a simple primal behaviour, bigger/stronger fish have to be fed first, then only the smaller fish are going to get something to eatLOL)  If all the small fish die what will the big fish eat. Unlike humans the pond ecology has its hierarchy but its a sustainable ecology unlike humans who like to leech, strip and move to next victim. Now, some claim corruption is there in the developing countries also.  Agreed, but the key is to see how prevalent it is in a developed country than a developing nation and how critically it affects the general public at the end of the day, yeah, the fact that it is not made available to the aam-janta equates to discrimination flies in the face of your earlier point of "social equality".LOL 

Along with corruption, the general mind set of common public also creates the differences we see among developed vs. developing countries.  It is more common to see utter disrespect of public property in developing countries than the developed countries. I am not saying that developed countries do not have any abuse at all....but compared to the developing countries, that abuse is relatively less.  that is a population vs availability of resources problem, got nothing to do with developed/developing nationWink

In other topics

people talk about Scandanavian nationsLOL look at how the cartoon of the prophet issue is dealt with, look at the whole picture 

Denmark is one Scandinavian nation. The Cartoon of the Prophet was one anomalous issue. Even considering the cartoon issue Scandinavia as a whole is more socially and economically developed. In fact chatting with some Swedes has shown me how unbalanced other parts of the world is to let simple issues get under our skin and blow it out of proportion instead of focusing on some real world issues and concerns.

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 10 April 2008 at 6:44pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by SholaJoBhadkey

Originally posted by Gauri_3

Hellloooo folks, any new "development" on this thread LOL

Yes, Qwerty was educated in CGI LOL

And someone needs to watch 300.

THIS IS DM!

LOL

Post Reply New Post