Developing country? - Page 9

Posted: 15 years ago
Originally posted by Gauri_3

Trying to recap all that got posted here and how it's relevant to the topic.

Along with basic necessities the issues such as healthcare, education, per capita income, social welfare, the state of infrastructure and public amnities do act as indicators of how developed a country is.

wow this sounds like measuring gas in gallon in one location and in litres in another, is that equivalent😉

every factor should be counted, not just favourable to one side of debate😆

how about adding factors like population/sq mile

homogenous/hetrogenous nature of population?

cost of living

quality of living(i.e happiness index)

treatment of a fellow citizen in a humane way

The more developed a country is, the better is the state of all mentioned above. 

provided every facet of the "better" is covered😆

Corruption acts as a barrier to development. 

depends on what you call corruption😉

Company A goes to a politician running for president and says, you support this legislation, I will support your election campaign=lobbying/corruption

on the other hand a case should be made, this sort of corruption and growth opportunity is only afforded to a particular set of people vs in other places where this sort of "developmental" opportunity" is available to everyone😉 

Lack of funds is a problem faced by many developing nations but I feel that bigger problem is skimming the funds earmarked for developmental projects...(pork barrel projects, I guess, hmmm😆)be it in the field of healthcare, education or improving the state of public amneties.  If the funds reach where they are supposed to, the country's status will eventually lift up.(well it is a simple primal behaviour, bigger/stronger fish have to be fed first, then only the smaller fish are going to get something to eat😆)  Now, some claim corruption is there in the developing countries also.  Agreed, but the key is to see how prevalent it is in a developed country than a developing nation and how critically it affects the general public at the end of the day, yeah, the fact that it is not made available to the aam-janta equates to discrimination flies in the face of your earlier point of "social equality".😆 

Along with corruption, the general mind set of common public also creates the differences we see among developed vs. developing countries.  It is more common to see utter disrespect of public property in developing countries than the developed countries. I am not saying that developed countries do not have any abuse at all....but compared to the developing countries, that abuse is relatively less.  that is a population vs availability of resources problem, got nothing to do with developed/developing nation😉

In other topics

people talk about Scandanavian nations😆 look at how the cartoon of the prophet issue is dealt with, look at the whole picture 

Gauri_3 - 1st post - black

Gauri_3- 2nd post - blue

chal_phek_met (🤣 love ur id dude. lot better than the three surs😉  thinking of changing mine to "hata_sawan_ki_ghata😛) - red

Originally posted by chal_phek_mat

wow this sounds like measuring gas in gallon in one location and in litres in another, is that equivalent😉

...and why can't it be equivalent...as long as one counts roughly 3.785 litres in American gallon. 4.546 litres in UK gallon😉 

The things you learn on forums!!!  Even gallons and pints can be different from country to country😉. US pints are different from UK pints. No wonder I get drunker in England.😛 

Thanks!!!  I thought I was the only one here who was stressing on counting as many as possible, if not every, factor😃

cost of living

Yes.  Why not?  They do make a lot of sense and can be tied to some of the major driving indicators.

Would you mind elaborating on this?  Which facet of "better" was not covered?  If you take all my posts in totality, I did try to focus on how certain "facets" of life in developing nation are better than the developed nations😊.

Anything that results in unfair  personal gain of a person or few persons over the general good of the population.

Company A goes to a politician running for president and says, you support this legislation, I will support your election campaign=lobbying/corruption

on the other hand a case should be made, this sort of corruption and growth opportunity is only afforded to a particular set of people vs in other places where this sort of "developmental" opportunity" is available to everyone😉 

Why not, this point can definitely be made and supported too.  For example the sub-prime fiasco mentioned by someone to demonstrate how very corrupt developed nations are😆.  Agreed that was a bad practice.  But the lenient credit were checks conducted w/o any discrimination...were they not😛   We can very conveniently forget those who chose to stay within their means and did not avail these lenient credit terms😉 

Jokes apart, whether it's available to everyone or a chosen few - anything that results in an undue advantage to some and hampers the general good of the nation and it's people is not good for the country...developed or undeveloped but corruption is lot more prevalent in developing nations. 

Lack of funds is a problem faced by many developing nations but I feel that bigger problem is skimming the funds earmarked for developmental projects...(pork barrel projects, I guess, hmmm😆)be it in the field of healthcare, education or improving the state of public amneties.  If the funds reach where they are supposed to, the country's status will eventually lift up.(well it is a simple primal behaviour, bigger/stronger fish have to be fed first, then only the smaller fish are going to get something to eat😆)  Now, some claim corruption is there in the developing countries also.  Agreed, but the key is to see how prevalent it is in a developed country than a developing nation and how critically it affects the general public at the end of the day, yeah, the fact that it is not made available to the aam-janta equates to discrimination flies in the face of your earlier point of "social equality".😆 

Along with corruption, the general mind set of common public also creates the differences we see among developed vs. developing countries.  It is more common to see utter disrespect of public property in developing countries than the developed countries. I am not saying that developed countries do not have any abuse at all....but compared to the developing countries, that abuse is relatively less.  that is a population vs availability of resources problem, got nothing to do with developed/developing nation😉

"that" is actually a derivative of your "population vs availability of resources problem".  It has everything to do with "developed/developing nation"😉😛

In other topics

people talk about Scandanavian nations😆 look at how the cartoon of the prophet issue is dealt with, look at the whole picture 

No, I would rather look at where exactly the prophet issue was blown totally out of proportion and what does that tell me about the developmental status of those places😉  Now, that truely would be looking at the "whole picture"😉😆

Edited by Gauri_3 - 15 years ago
Originally posted by chal_phek_mat

Trying to recap all that got posted here and how it's relevant to the topic.

Along with basic necessities the issues such as healthcare, education, per capita income, social welfare, the state of infrastructure and public amnities do act as indicators of how developed a country is.

True all aspects have to be looked at. There are two sides to a coin, pros and cons to everything. A country that lacks in one aspect makes up in another. I would consider the following to be derivatives of socio-economic factors.

cost of living

The more developed a country is, the better is the state of all mentioned above. 

Corruption acts as a barrier to development. 

In my opinion both forms of corruption are detrimental. The only difference is the overall impact and how quick the effect takes place. In fact I would say outright corruption is better as it is visible and people are aware of it. Implicit white collar corruption is not visible and slowly eats away without anyone being aware of it.

Lack of funds is a problem faced by many developing nations but I feel that bigger problem is skimming the funds earmarked for developmental projects...(pork barrel projects, I guess, hmmm😆)be it in the field of healthcare, education or improving the state of public amneties.  If the funds reach where they are supposed to, the country's status will eventually lift up.(well it is a simple primal behaviour, bigger/stronger fish have to be fed first, then only the smaller fish are going to get something to eat😆)  If all the small fish die what will the big fish eat. Unlike humans the pond ecology has its hierarchy but its a sustainable ecology unlike humans who like to leech, strip and move to next victim. Now, some claim corruption is there in the developing countries also.  Agreed, but the key is to see how prevalent it is in a developed country than a developing nation and how critically it affects the general public at the end of the day, yeah, the fact that it is not made available to the aam-janta equates to discrimination flies in the face of your earlier point of "social equality".😆 

In other topics

Denmark is one Scandinavian nation. The Cartoon of the Prophet was one anomalous issue. Even considering the cartoon issue Scandinavia as a whole is more socially and economically developed. In fact chatting with some Swedes has shown me how unbalanced other parts of the world is to let simple issues get under our skin and blow it out of proportion instead of focusing on some real world issues and concerns.
Originally posted by SholaJoBhadkey

Yes, Qwerty was educated in CGI 😆

And someone needs to watch 300.

THIS IS DM!

😆