Debate Mansion

Developing country? - Page 4

chatbuster thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago
This content was originally posted by: Gauri_3

I think there's a difference between "fancy" and "clean" public toilets.

Waisey bhi, the public toilet post was made keeping in mind the fact that basic infrastructure and amneties are not as good in developing countries as they are in developed countries.

Scarcity of water and over population do result in patheticly filthy state of many public amneties like the public toilets or the waiting rooms at railway stations or the railway platforms.

sure. i think they shld chuck other development priorities and get to diverting scarce resources towards building clean toilets, no?πŸ˜›

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

How about keeping the ones that they already have clean first. They can worry about building new ones later. They are also filthy because people usually do not do what they are supposed to do....another major problem with developing nations...especially if the jobs happened to be secured government jobs.

I think the mindset of awaam....the general population at large...also result in the pathetic state of public faicilities. Funds get approved for maintenance and repairs but never reach where they are supposed to. It's a whole bunch of other problems along with "scarcity of resources" that results in what meets the eye there.
SholaJoBhadkey thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: chatbuster

sure. i think they shld chuck other development priorities and get to diverting scarce resources towards building clean toilets, no?πŸ˜›

Scarce resources??? You must be kidding! πŸ˜† They should stop pocketing what is not theirs. There will be plenty for all development projects. As for toilets, I guess guys don't need them - clean or otherwise!! πŸ˜‰πŸ˜†

chatbuster thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: SholaJoBhadkey

Scarce resources??? You must be kidding! πŸ˜† They should stop pocketing what is not theirs. There will be plenty for all development projects. As for toilets, I guess guys don't need them - clean or otherwise!! πŸ˜‰πŸ˜†

and u're not kidding?πŸ˜‰ now tell me, how much money do u think they are pocketing? 100k crores? 500k crores? and once we've emptied their pockets, tell me, do we still start with the toilets or with feeding all the people, educating all the people, providing better healthcare to all those who dont get even those? it's not like those issues have been taken care of, or have they? oh wait. simplying emptying the pockets will allow all those other issues to be taken care of, right?πŸ˜›

If corruption can be curtailed, lot more other problems will be solved to. The effect of development is seldom linear. It's far far more reaching than just touching the ones in line or next ones after them in line.

FWIW, point was never ONLY about the public toilets..literally or figuratively. If this is all one gets out of it despite repeated clarifications - then so be it.
Edited by Gauri_3 - 16 years ago
SholaJoBhadkey thumbnail

and u're not kidding?πŸ˜‰ now tell me, how much money do u think they are pocketing? 100k crores? 500k crores? and once we've emptied their pockets, tell me, do we still start with the toilets or with feeding all the people, educating all the people, providing better healthcare to all those who dont get even those? it's not like those issues have been taken care of, or have they? oh wait. simplying emptying the pockets will allow all those other issues to be taken care of, right?πŸ˜›

Ek iklauta Laloo almost 1000K crores pocket kar gaya 😊 

When all the pockets have been emptied you can have a multi-dimensional development programme that focuses on feeding and housing the poor as well as providing better public facilities to those who are already fed and housed. πŸ˜›

SholaJoBhadkey thumbnail

If corruption can be curtailed, lot more other problems will be solved to. The effect of development is seldom linear. It's far far more reaching than just touching the ones in line or next ones after them in line.

FWIW, point was never ONLY about the public toilets..literally or figuratively. If this is all one gets out of it despite repeated clarifications - then so be it.

If it were linear, by the time the govt. were done with the lowest strata the ones above them would fall behind. Thoda thoda sab ko aagey badhao πŸ˜›

chatbuster thumbnail

reminds one of what the politicians here say when asked about bringing down health care costs.πŸ˜† they talk about weeding out insurance fraud and such, things that wld hardly make a dent because it's such a miniscule part of the overall costs. the gimmies they throw out to make easy brownie points but doesnt do a darned thing to tackle real problems. πŸ˜‰

but yes, anything can serve as a proxy indicator for development. state of public toilets too. in that respect, fine. but hopefully we do understand that priorities differ across countries. for some, it might be getting public toilets working in nice condition, for some others it might be something else. beyond a point, if public toilets is all we are gonna talk about, then it suggests a certain priority, clarifications notwithstanding. i just dont happen to agree with that as a necessary priority or even as a leading indicator of development. but then, that might be just me😊

chatbuster thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: SholaJoBhadkey

Ek iklauta Laloo almost 1000K crores pocket kar gaya 😊 

When all the pockets have been emptied you can have a multi-dimensional development programme that focuses on feeding and housing the poor as well as providing better public facilities to those who are already fed and housed. πŸ˜›

to that list one can add SP. he logs in at 30K crores supposedly.πŸ˜›

but point is the needs for far-more critical sectors imo far exceed whatever imaginary number we can throw out.

no problem however if public toilets is what u consider as the leading indicator of development. sabka apna apna opinion hai.πŸ˜›

SholaJoBhadkey thumbnail

to that list one can add SP. he logs in at 30K crores supposedly.πŸ˜›

but point is the needs for far-more critical sectors imo far exceed whatever imaginary number we can throw out.

no problem however if public toilets is what u consider as the leading indicator of development. sabka apna apna opinion hai.πŸ˜›

I had clarified my position on Pg 3 vis a vis public toilets, yet people insited on dragging it into the debate. However, I do feel public facilities are an indicator of develpoment albeit not the leading ones. Like you said - each to her own πŸ˜›