Page 1 of 10

Page 1
Page   of 10
Page 2 Page 10

TallyHo

IF-Rockerz

TallyHo

Posted: 17 March 2008 at 11:27am | IP Logged

In india when generally a baby is born he is given his/ her official name but in addition they are also given a nick name... pyaar se they are called, chunnu, munnu, golu, chintu, pappu, munni, gudiya etc etc..

They sometimes continue to be called by that nick name throughout their lives...so generally we may find a gudiya maasi, or a chintu maama in the family...

What do you think of this Indian tradition..love it or hate it and why?

And also... do/did you have a nick name....and did it carry on into your adulthood?

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Nick Names!" in Members Lounge forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Aanandaa

IF-Sizzlerz

Aanandaa

Posted: 17 March 2008 at 1:37pm | IP Logged
Yes, I do have a nick name and its still carrying on and eventually the chances are very high of me becoming my nick name + chachi, maasi and even mommy etc...LOLLOLLOL

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think its just not in India but affectionately calling their kids by nick names is everywhere...

I did hate it sometimes whilst in college, especially in front of my male friends when my grand mom used to refer to me by my nick and they giving me amused looksOuchLOL, but eventually I got adjusted to it and now I just love it...LOL ( you see what can't be cured, must be enduredLOL)

SholaJoBhadkey

IF-Dazzler

SholaJoBhadkey

Posted: 17 March 2008 at 1:56pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by raksha.l

Yes, I do have a nick name and its still carrying on and eventually the chances are very high of me becoming my nick name + chachi, maasi and even mommy etc...LOLLOLLOL

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think its just not in India but affectionately calling their kids by nick names is everywhere...

I did hate it sometimes whilst in college, especially in front of my male friends when my grand mom used to refer to me by my nick and they giving me amused looksOuchLOL, but eventually I got adjusted to it and now I just love it...LOL ( you see what can't be cured, must be enduredLOL)

You saved me a whole lot of typing LOL except that I was never embarrassed by my nicknames (I have more than one Tongue). One of them has become my title for all my nieces and assorted mohalle ke bacchey LOL However, there are some official names that need serious changes - Delhi's education minister is a man called "Lovely" ConfusedLOL

Twixie.

Twixie.

Posted: 17 March 2008 at 3:09pm | IP Logged
i have a nich name but it doesnt involve chinnu minnu golu or any regular nick names my nick name is payal while my real name is hiral....i dont know haw that works but i dont like it because i live in USA and so the kids at my school call me hiral while all the indians know me as payal!!! its funny....personnaly i like payal better and i hate hiral because all the americans make a mess out of it trying to pronounce it....

sweetmagic4u

Goldie

sweetmagic4u

Posted: 17 March 2008 at 8:16pm | IP Logged
My  nickname is Sweety, actually they gave it too me while deciding my real name, as a temporary, then it just stuck, and ironically I was named
after a year...don't ask, my parents are perfectionists LOL

I think it's cute sometimes...as long as the person isn't unhappy with it...

Reminds me of the book Life of Pi, the main character's name is Piscine, and kids make fun of him and call him "Piss" so he took a stand an changed it to "Pi"...

Edited by sweetmagic4u - 17 March 2008 at 9:11pm

qwertyesque

IF-Rockerz

qwertyesque

Posted: 17 March 2008 at 8:47pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by TallyHo

In india when generally a baby is born he is given his/ her official name but in addition they are also given a nick name... pyaar se they are called, chunnu, munnu, golu, chintu, pappu, munni, gudiya etc etc..

They sometimes continue to be called by that nick name throughout their lives...so generally we may find a gudiya maasi, or a chintu maama in the family...

What do you think of this Indian tradition..love it or hate it and why?

And also... do/did you have a nick name....and did it carry on into your adulthood?

thats cool tradition.. all of us needs a nick.. i had a nick name gattu.... which got carried too far now nobody knows it.....

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 17 March 2008 at 8:49pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 17 March 2008 at 8:53pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top