Debate Mansion

Are women really free from social rules? (Page 2)

Post Reply New Post

Page 2 of 8

Page 1
Page   of 8
Page 3 Page 8

sweetmagic4u

Goldie

sweetmagic4u

Posted: 11 March 2008 at 3:21pm | IP Logged
is THE WOMAN free?

well some of her is and some of her isn't...depends where in the world she is...

and how much she wants to break free...

or if she even knows she has the right to break free...

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Are women really free from social rules? (Page 2)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Catwoman

IF-Sizzlerz

Catwoman

Posted: 11 March 2008 at 4:19pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Anuradha

Continuing the celebration for Women's day, we have a very much needed debate... Smile

We say that women are now on par with men... They are more independent and are free to take their own decisions... They have a say in the running of the family, They are treated equally to men and are now more privileged than the women of the past.. She is no more a person who stays inside the four walls taking care of the house hold..

But the big questions is - Is she really free?????

Even now in many parts of the world, women are not given proper education.. If there is a boy and a girl in a house, more importance is given to the boy of the house... Before marriage, she has to listen to what her parents say and they are the one to take decisions for her and after marriage she needs to take permissions from her In-Laws...

Ok my views a individual we have grow but as a socially we are still the same... i can name so many women today who have acheieved a great education yet they do not work or leave the house... to me that intellegent mind is a waste... See now parents are educating there daughters in asian society to get a good suitor........but the independancy is still not there....

We women for generations have listen to parents and to  inlaw this will never change and what need to change is the way we talk to our daughters and sons

Even now when a girl walks alone on the road side or walks alone into a restaurant, she gets a strange look from all the people around... Even now she is side lined and we hear so much about women harassment.. The government also works more on men's team in sports than for the women.. Though many social rules have been abolished, There are still many rules in the society which binds her..

Actually you will find from 20years ago we have progressed alot and slow things are getting better... these social changes take time and it is better... but sometimes we as women dont actually come together as a group to help our fellow sisters who are suffering and it not only men who make women suffer but woman to hurt each even more. This is not a gender battle

Though she is praised for what she is, has she till now achieved the 100% freedom in life?????

And the next questions is will she ever achieve 100% freedom???

I guess we will never complete be free but then again we can say the same about the opposite sex... for they to have dependants and the same relationships us woman... i guess the really answer is what is freedom??? as everyones ...idea of freedom is differentEmbarrassed

Love Kat

Edited by Catwoman - 11 March 2008 at 4:25pm

lizzy190

lizzy190

Posted: 11 March 2008 at 5:22pm | IP Logged
Can women get free from social rules? no never .... women are always going to be looked down upon.... in a way, other countries are not perfect like UK OR US just b/c they have education and stuff we should also consider that a women in US does not always get an equal salary either but then on the other hand they are more free than we indian women are..

I think in India we are so into making guys look like god especially our husbands that no matter what will happen a women will never change her views. Even now most indian people say "we are living in the 21st century" and they still have the same old rules... that have been going on for ages... still to this day parents think of their daughters as a person who will end up getting married and it almost seems like the only reason they educate that girl so that she can get married at the end... i am not saying about all the parents i do realize that there are some parents who do not thing that way but most do... even on our indian shows you see all the girls are portrayed as listening to their parents, dreaming of prince charming and to take them... and even if they show a girl that wants to do something else in their life they end up making them look bad or at the end they are taken away by some guy. I think we need to change our thinking... in order to take a step ahead in the world... we can make as many doctors, engineers, IT people as we want... but until we don't change our thinking India can never be on the top!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ana1

IF-Rockerz

ana1

Posted: 11 March 2008 at 5:42pm | IP Logged
women are not free 100%. There are girls who have to listen to what there parents say live a certain way wear what her parents say do what her parents want her to do. and afetr shes maride she might feel like ok now im free but shes not now shes under her husband where she does what her husband says. does a gril have no feeling why does she have to be below her husband why cant she stand side by side with him. Im not sayin this always happens but it hapens iv seen it happen to many times.

scifichick

Goldie

scifichick

Posted: 11 March 2008 at 6:11pm | IP Logged
No women are not 100% free. Women have come a long way in getting some freedoms but they are still ruled by social rules.

Families dictate how girls should behave and what they should wear and even who is a suitable husband; whereas boys in a family still have many freedoms that a girl would never get.

It's true that women don't get the support from their fellow women when it comes to gaining freedom.

I have a 7.5 year old daughter and though I don't want her to be a complete feminist - I want her to realize her potential as a human being and the importance of her being a woman. But even in grade 2 - she is already being told by some of the boys that girls don't play soccer, or girls can't play sports. Both my husband and I educate her to know that she should never listen to anyone who tries to place limits on her and that she has the right to choose what she wants to participate in. It's sad because these boys have been socialized at this age to already think women have limitations.

sweet_angel27

IF-Dazzler

sweet_angel27

Posted: 11 March 2008 at 7:04pm | IP Logged
It's true that women have more freedom then they did in the   past but they are still not equal to men.Society views men as more superior no matter how much we try to deny it that is the truth.Maybe in the future they will be equal. Smile

-Preeti-

IF-Veteran Member

-Preeti-

Posted: 11 March 2008 at 11:31pm | IP Logged

But the big questions is - Is she really free?????
Not really, b'coz i have seen places where women literally struggle to make a place in the family. But do agree that it has become better than what was 10 yrs ago, but still women in our society is not treated equally as she has to b treated.

Though she is praised for what she is, has she till now achieved the 100% freedom in life?????
we can say she has just achieved 60% of the freedom & is still struggling for that 40%. Though in my house such differences does'nt exist but have seen some in my neighbourhood. Where the girl is always not looked upon properly so that the boy child can b taken care of in a proper manner. Still parnts seem to b wanting a boy more than a girl child as the boy takes care of the family in the near future & girls are said to b "paraya dhan" and that she has to take care of in-laws after getting married.

And the next questions is will she ever achieve 100% freedom???

Please do share your views on this Smile

i really cannot answer this q as its the thinking of the ppl that has to b changed & not the person. This can happen if ppl bring that maturity in thier thinking n thoughts. They have to take get that feeking that daughters would b thier daughters even when she gets married off to someone else. A Daughter too can take care of her family at all phases of life. She too can take up responsibilities in the same way a son does.

This is what i personally believe which most of the ppl in this world don't agree to

smallwonder

IF-Veteran Member

smallwonder

Posted: 12 March 2008 at 1:16am | IP Logged

If there is a boy and a girl in a house, more importance is given to the boy of the house... Before marriage, she has to listen to what her parents say and they are the one to take decisions for her and after marriage she needs to take permissions from her In-Laws...

Wrong Embarrassed This is a misconception... I am a part of a house where we have a boy and girl, but ask me - no way the boy gets more attention... Its the other way roundWink Not that anyone is complaining, but just to remove this myth...Smile Sure, it may not be the case with everyone, but the same way, to generalise and say that girls get less importance is false...

Post Reply New Post

Go to top