Formal Education

Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 1

luna_lovegood

IF-Dazzler

luna_lovegood

Posted: 11 March 2008 at 6:51am | IP Logged
Well now..hey People...
this is Luna / Shruti (call me anything you like Big smile)...and I am new here...I just thought I would discuss this issue with you all.

Everyone who must have seen 'Taare Zameen Par' could relate better.

Formal Education like History and Geography..I know it definitely is important to know about our ancestors but why do everyone needs to deal with it when it never comes use in our later life. (Not never but not often)
I mean what good does it do to students learns about Henries and Williams and others when we just mug up on the day just before exam and forget as soon as the exam ends? LOL (Honestly, English people are too short of names...generations pe genretations are called Johns, Williams, Henries..ask me..I alone could suggest 1000 names right now Big smileBig smile)
Instead there should be topics more analytical and logical to interest children.

Similarly, CBSE teaches students till class 10 science that is discarded in class 11. I am giving class 10 boards and I have heard that everything we are learning in class 10 is going to be said 'is defective and already replaced' in class 11. I mean this isnt done.

We shouldnt have wasted such lot of time on those topics.

Similarly, with growing competetion, all parents expect their children to get a 100% without even realising that possible that their children DONT wish to secure any percentage in studies but is interested some where else.

What do you all say about this?

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Formal Education" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

corvette

IF-Rockerz

corvette

Posted: 11 March 2008 at 8:20am | IP Logged
Hi there! Smile

I understand your point - sometimes a lot of what we learn as children by way of academic learning may feel redundant in later life.

If you talk as an Indian(?) I totally understand why learning those parts of English history that have nothing to do with your country can feel like a waste of time - and I agree.

English history to someone from UK?Europe is a lot more relevant and similarly for soemone from the Indian subcontinent, knowing your own regional history is important.

As for knowledge learned earlier that is replaced by other or more accurate knowledge later - this pretty much sums up going from Chemistry O level to A level for me! But overall I wouldnt say it was a waste - more that the earlier knowledge was simplistic and the later one more complex but more likely to be true.

Having said all of that, knowledge is power, so the more you have the more you can contribute and make a difference

Just my POV - thanks for poting an interesting topic!

Angry M Angry

raj5000

raj5000

Posted: 11 March 2008 at 1:33pm | IP Logged
There are lot things in early or may be late education that might part of acadamic curriculum but not benefit in longer run. Agreed.Whats the harm though, it's just gaining the knowledge, one never knows when it might come handy, like what I read in school days sometimes comes very handy while debating here Smile . Thought process behind it as I understand is that education system cann't target each individuals interests and focus in life, they are more touching different aspects, which part influences whom is a open card. Later when one decides what career or particular stream that they want to pursue, specialization courses are available for it.

sweetmagic4u

Goldie

sweetmagic4u

Posted: 11 March 2008 at 2:19pm | IP Logged
well, I have always felt that one should be at least exposed to everything in a education..you never know what might come in handy when.

I know some people hate history while others love it but it's not just about memorizing the names. Take King Akbar for example ( I am citing his example as you might have seen the movie Jodhaa Akbar recently ) he spread the message of humanity and breaking down religious barriers in the the 1500s, hundreds of years before-and people still fight about religion and there are horrible riots, what if people actually learned from his actions? His message of tolerance? Basically what I'm trying to say that we learn history so we don't repeat mistakes...

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 12 March 2008 at 6:57pm | IP Logged
We learn a lot of things in school that we may never remember or ever use again in life. While it may seem useless exposure to a wide variety of information is essential in developing a good educational foundation.

You become a well rounded individual with basic knowledge in a lot of fields.

You never know when you may need past knowledge and subjects can be interrelated in unique ways.You may be surprised recalling and utilizing school information in everyday lives

Basic knowledge is helpful in building ourselves individually. We bring our knowledge to social and business conversations and smart knowledgeable people always make an impression.

Exposure to a wide variety of subjects make students understand their likes, dislike, strengths and weaknesses. Without being exposed to basic knowledge in all spheres person may not be able to decide career pathing. It is only with exposure that a person may learn that they hate history but love science. It is only with exposure that a person discovers that they are excellent in balancing chemical equations but suck at adding algebraic expressions. It is only with exposure that someone may determine that they would love working with literature as a living or that they never want to deal with numbers in their life ever again.

Each student has different tastes and talents and a widespread balanced formal education equips children to make essential decisions while choosing their graduation majors and careers.

The problem why formal education can seem so daunting and useless is because many Indians expect their children to excel at everything.

Taking the example of Taare Zameen Par, Ishaan has a creative mind. He not only has an artistic mind, but has a knack for understanding symbolism and interpreting literature and other art forms. Unfortunately, everyone is so focused on traditional knowledge that his creativity is ignored.

Too many parents and teachers wrongfully expect children to be good at everything. Parents compete with other parents on who has a smarter better child. Teachers compete with each other trying to get students to like and do well in subjects they teach.

Back off and let natural talents shine. If a student is brilliant in history but struggles with math. Commend them for their history aptitude and encourage them to take more history classes. Do not put them down for struggling with math, but help them so they can reach the average level of competence. If they have average skills, gently try to develop skills but do not force it on them or ridicule their lack of higher skills.

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 13 March 2008 at 7:23am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

IdeaQueen

IF-Dazzler

IdeaQueen

Posted: 15 March 2008 at 10:37am | IP Logged

Originally posted by luna_lovegood

Well now..hey People...
this is Luna / Shruti (call me anything you like Big smile)...and I am new here...I just thought I would discuss this issue with you all.

Everyone who must have seen 'Taare Zameen Par' could relate better.

Formal Education like History and Geography..I know it definitely is important to know about our ancestors but why do everyone needs to deal with it when it never comes use in our later life. (Not never but not often)
I mean what good does it do to students learns about Henries and Williams and others when we just mug up on the day just before exam and forget as soon as the exam ends? LOL (Honestly, English people are too short of names...generations pe genretations are called Johns, Williams, Henries..ask me..I alone could suggest 1000 names right now Big smileBig smile)
Instead there should be topics more analytical and logical to interest children.

Similarly, CBSE teaches students till class 10 science that is discarded in class 11. I am giving class 10 boards and I have heard that everything we are learning in class 10 is going to be said 'is defective and already replaced' in class 11. I mean this isnt done.

We shouldnt have wasted such lot of time on those topics.

Similarly, with growing competetion, all parents expect their children to get a 100% without even realising that possible that their children DONT wish to secure any percentage in studies but is interested some where else.

What do you all say about this?

Welcome to Dm Shruthi Smile

Nice postClap

luna_lovegood

IF-Dazzler

luna_lovegood

Posted: 16 March 2008 at 9:24am | IP Logged
thnks...

thnks for so much response...I neva expected it either Embarrassed

Post Reply New Post

Go to top