Debate Mansion

Indian ppl's obsession with mothballs?

Posted: 16 years ago
Okay what is the deal with moth balls. every now and again when I walk down somewhere and a desi (freshies/dippers) walk next to me, I get a sudden rush of moth ball smell. It is just horrible

Whyyyyyyy???? Why are they so paranoid? Also the pesticide and chemical in these balls can't be safe to human specially little children. It must do have some side effects.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

chatbuster thumbnail

they help preserve the clothes from being eaten away by bugs. that's what the big deal is. and no, it aint just a desi thing. just that folks here have their clothes dry-cleaned or hung out for a while before they wear them again, so the smell's gone. good thing, those moth-balls.😊
Aanandaa thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Oh I tell you its still better than not scraping the tounge every day and torturing the people around with their bad breath...I was kind of taken aback when I first got to know that the non desi people have no concept of scraping the tounge and most of the time they make do with just a mouth wash...🀒😲

season915 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: raksha.l

Oh I tell you its still better than not scraping the tounge every day and torturing the people around with their bad breath...I was kind of taken aback when I first got to know that the non desi people have no concept of scraping the tounge and most of the time they make do with just a mouth wash...🀒😲

I am so with you on that one!
Some of my ABCD cousins look at me as it is an alien thing to do. It is far better than chewing gums all day to smell okay.
Yikes! 🀒

@topic: What you have said is extremely exaggerated. It is only once in a while that you "actually" smell those mothballs. You are talking as if every other desi smells like that. I don't know which place you went, but from I smell, I have not come across that more than like twice. πŸ˜•
bunbutt_too thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: raksha.l

you go raksha.1ji. These days moth balls have the wonderful smell of lavender, unlike mouth washes that smell like phenol and don't cover the nasty breath anyway.

Edited by bunbutt_too - 16 years ago
Dabulls23 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
I thought air freshners smell better than mothballs πŸ˜› . But I agree about the few flavors of mouthwashes. And abt the bad mouthwash breath 🀒

I think more and more americans are using tongue scrapers these days. Have you not seen tooth brushes with tongue scrapers these days??? It just that we have to make others aware of oral hygene and they will adapt 😳
Edited by Dabulls23 - 16 years ago
TallyHo thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
mothballs have become "mouth"balls in this post! πŸ˜‰
Originally posted by: chatbuster

they help preserve the clothes from being eaten away by bugs. that's what the big deal is. and no, it aint just a desi thing. just that folks here have their clothes dry-cleaned or hung out for a while before they wear them again, so the smell's gone. good thing, those moth-balls.😊

i know what moth balls are used for, thanks for reiterating.. i just don't understand why they are used for day to day wear?

It was a simple comment, no need to get so worked up and start a "us" vs "them" convo thank you

Originally posted by: MrsAckles

i know what moth balls are used for, thanks for reiterating.. i just don't understand why they are used for day to day wear?

It was a simple comment, no need to get so worked up and start a "us" vs "them" convo thank you

u r the 1st one who r saying they r used for day to day wearπŸ˜†  frankly, never heard this one before!!! makes one wonder what kind u r hanging out with😊

on second thoughts, may be they packed their woollens with their regular clothes when coming here.  give them some time, the smell will go away.  if it doesn't, then, in my very humble opinion, the problem may stem from somewhere else....as in hallucinating certain smellsπŸ˜‰...not their clothesπŸ˜›πŸ˜†

oh, btw, did u not make it "us" (as in desis living here for long) vs. "them" (as in freshies...i think that's the word u used) in the first place

Yeah I hang out at "international students from India's moth balls appreciation club" thats where i smelt the smell

*rolleyes*

I am talking about random desis who give a great big moth ball smell sneak attack when they walk past me, i thought i made that clear on my first post and i didn't say every single desi person smelt that way...

also since it wasn't just one person i just wanted to know what was up with that..

also i didn't start us vs them, it was the person who brought up tongue scraper, blackheads puller or whatever diff kinds of gadgets there are