Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

raj5000 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago
Originally posted by: chatbuster

i think one can come up with a great excuse for getting a bad referral- i was such a great employee, so productive and all, made so much money for them, that the employer was upset that i left. and now they dont want their competitor to hire me and benefit from my expertise. else they'd be giving me a great referralπŸ˜›πŸ˜†

Americans are smart now..first thing they are gonna ask is .." Are you from India?" ..πŸ˜†πŸ˜† done deal then and there...

actually these days, employers are forbidden from giving someone a bad referral, at least on wall street. only thing they can report on is whether some SEC charges were filed etc, whether they left voluntarily etc. That they are required to do with no subjectivity. So i think referrals are losing their meaning. It still comes down to personal relnships. if your boss is ok, forget about the HR female who might give u a hard time. she might not even be around a couple of years down the road.😊

Don't think so... best way to learn whats going on...okay if desi referral given...one already knows to look for another job...like employer calling ..helllo have you worked with Srinu...' yeah sure nine of them, your question' tiii tiii tii tii says the phoneπŸ˜†

raj5000 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

just make sure to keep collecting the signing bonus each time. in no time, one has all the mortgages paid off😊

πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

Signing bonusπŸ˜•... is Brad Piitt still taking signing bonusπŸ˜‰ what a ..**ser.. not asking for signing bonusπŸ˜‰ πŸ˜†lolsss...

qwertyesque thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: lighthouse

You are not kidding there Qwerty.. There are some people , back office type workers , creatives, managers who take up lot of resources to get trained before producing do just that - job hopping every 3-6 months when they are expected to show all that they said about themselves in the interview.

As for referals , not much other then facts like start-end dates, salary etc can be divulged by ex-employer but there is always that one question that says it all . would you hire them again? πŸ˜› now if more then one ex-employer says that , a pattern is revealed.πŸ˜‰  that said employers never take it personaly or hold a grudge as much as employee can. we have had some employees who never bothered to return laptops when moving on. πŸ˜• 

yup true...didnt return laptops!!?? - bad!!!!!!!

SholaJoBhadkey thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

yes, 2 wks shld rarely be a problem. but 6 months? even 3 months? that's ridiculous. in fact, in some critical high value-added jobs, i'd think the employer wld be wary of someone who intends to resign. only reason they'd want him around is to get someone trained up in a hurry to take his place. i mean do u really want a guy who might be a loose cannon making critical decisions when u know he's on his way out? all comes down to nature of job then. but push comes to shove, u do what u have to, and do it as best u can. if u must leave without much notice, make it as pleasant for everyone as u can.

We have six-months because most of our recruitment is done from overseas at an annual event. People who are planning to leave at the end of the semester in August, give their notice by the end of February so that in March when the annual job fair takes place, the employers know how many new people to recruit. In our line of work, it's rare that jobs come up mid-year, let alone mid-semester. Hence, people don't really mind. It also gives them a chance to change their minds - most of the employers are happy not to let them go. (It costs a whole bunch of greens to hire new people - tickets, housing, furnishing allowance, moving allowance, visa processing etc) If you don't give ample notice, you stand to lose your indemnity for that year and the two-months' holiday pay. There really isn't much to choose from in terms of pay, so it's not like if I lose out on three months' salary, I will be compensated for it in my new job by the extra money I will be making (unless I am going to work in Saudi Arabia where the salaries in some places are almost three times what we get here plus you get a "dangerous living" allowance. I kid not.)

Mostly people quit because they are either returning to their home countries or they are fed-up of not being appreciated, or they just want a change. What we need to remember is that it's a very small place and you can't really change too many times, too quickly. Word gets around πŸ˜›

chatbuster thumbnail
Originally posted by: SholaJoBhadkey

We have six-months because most of our recruitment is done from overseas at an annual event. People who are planning to leave at the end of the semester in August, give their notice by the end of February so that in March when the annual job fair takes place, the employers know how many new people to recruit. In our line of work, it's rare that jobs come up mid-year, let alone mid-semester. Hence, people don't really mind. It also gives them a chance to change their minds - most of the employers are happy not to let them go. (It costs a whole bunch of greens to hire new people - tickets, housing, furnishing allowance, moving allowance, visa processing etc) If you don't give ample notice, you stand to lose your indemnity for that year and the two-months' holiday pay. There really isn't much to choose from in terms of pay, so it's not like if I lose out on three months' salary, I will be compensated for it in my new job by the extra money I will be making (unless I am going to work in Saudi Arabia where the salaries in some places are almost three times what we get here plus you get a "dangerous living" allowance. I kid not.)

Mostly people quit because they are either returning to their home countries or they are fed-up of not being appreciated, or they just want a change. What we need to remember is that it's a very small place and you can't really change too many times, too quickly. Word gets around πŸ˜›

thx for the insight. i suppose it gets down to how dynamic and fast-paced the specific economy/ industry is then.😊

but from wat u've said here, it seems to me to be more about the financial burden imposed on employees by their employers against moving, perhaps for legitimate  reasons. all the more so then, how's it unethical if an employee was prepared to undertake that cost themselves and leave on quick notice? we are hopefully not just debating how smart or stupid their career moves are, rather on the ethics of their movingπŸ˜‰πŸ˜Š

lighthouse thumbnail
Originally posted by: qwertyesque

yup true...didnt return laptops!!?? - bad!!!!!!!

and it gets worse, when it comes to distribution of profit sharing and 401k matching to terminated employees , regardless of voluntary or involuntary termination. The pension act law heavily favors employees on this regard , much more then labor laws do and the pension funded by employer/firm is protected from any claim awarded to the employer against unethical act by employee.  So in a nutshell an employee can screw the company and not be worried about paying it back.πŸ˜•

SholaJoBhadkey thumbnail

thx for the insight. i suppose it gets down to how dynamic and fast-paced the specific economy/ industry is then.😊

but from wat u've said here, it seems to me to be more about the financial burden imposed on employees by their employers against moving, perhaps for legitimate  reasons. all the more so then, how's it unethical if an employee was prepared to undertake that cost themselves and leave on quick notice? we are hopefully not just debating how smart or stupid their career moves are, rather on the ethics of their movingπŸ˜‰πŸ˜Š

I am not saying it is unethical - it's just that people don't want to take the risk of being blacklisted as someone who would leave in the middle of a semester. We teachers have a conscience, you see πŸ˜‰ - in a place where it's difficult to find adjuncts unless you want to scrape the bottom of the barrel, and where the students stand to lose more than the employers, we noble souls tend to stay. Like I mentioned earlier, my friend isn't leaving mainly because she doesn't want to harm her students and also because the very same employers who are eager to poach her today since they are needy may turn the whole thing against her at a later stage. She doen't care for the money - her husband earns a fat salary. Teaching has this effect - acchey khaasey insaan ko emotional bana deta hai πŸ˜† 

qwertyesque thumbnail
Originally posted by: SholaJoBhadkey

I am not saying it is unethical - it's just that people don't want to take the risk of being blacklisted as someone who would leave in the middle of a semester. We teachers have a conscience, you see πŸ˜‰ - in a place where it's difficult to find adjuncts unless you want to scrape the bottom of the barrel, and where the students stand to lose more than the employers, we noble souls tend to stay. Like I mentioned earlier, my friend isn't leaving mainly because she doesn't want to harm her students and also because the very same employers who are eager to poach her today since they are needy may turn the whole thing against her at a later stage. She doen't care for the money - her husband earns a fat salary. Teaching has this effect - acchey khaasey insaan ko emotional bana deta hai πŸ˜† 

Good morning teacher.. I think teachers cant leave - they can only retire or give private tuitions..teachers are not doing a job or career they are just building the future....😊.. just like doctors.. its like a doctor leaving his sick patients for a addtional perks..πŸ˜† just right in a middle of consultations.. or leaving unfinished business.....which is one reason they are encouraged to work in villages and other non-lucrative places.. 😊 while the other professionals can cheat each other in a race to be wealthier...😊

qwertyesque thumbnail
Originally posted by: qwertyesque

Good morning teacher.. I think teachers cant leave - they can only retire or give private tuitions..teachers are not doing a job or career they are just building the future....😊..if one wants to earn a lot of money they shouldnt teach -  just like doctors.. its like a doctor leaving his sick patients for a addtional perks..πŸ˜† just right in a middle of consultations.. or leaving unfinished business.....which is one reason they are encouraged to work in villages and other non-lucrative places.. 😊 while the other professionals can cheat each other in a race to be wealthier...😊 that said i think teachers are well-paid work in unions atleast in india.. and get months and months of summer/winter/spring/fall breaks...

Edited by qwertyesque - 16 years ago
SholaJoBhadkey thumbnail
Good evening ji πŸ˜†

Teachers do leave... I left three jobs, but all with ample notice and at the end of the term. I left them because I wasn't happy with the way things were being run. And I left all of them without having another one on the anvil. However, most of us don't usually jump ships in the middle, no matter how lucrative the offer is. 😊