Debate Mansion

Law on emotional distress in TV soaps?

raj5000 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago

Whats the limit of emotional torture on soaps? any idea how ethical is it from the stand point on script writers, i understand the trp factor but still.

Learned after a call to folks tonite that one of relative had health issues due to over stress, stress becuase her favourite couple got killed in Zee's Dulhan serial..initially was in splits later realized it not funny.

Had seen few episodes of that (all well till dat in US, in India running few episodes ahead, I guess) and kasam sey out of choice and really felt these guys pushing hard on emotions. First target housewives and make them relate to serials then twist them to play hard, how unfair is it..even though people understand but sometimes gets to emotional side of it.

Wish there were laws against it, to save typical soap followers from distress...should there be any laws?? heard few weeks back that there was a morcha near Ekta's office to quit these sagas...aren't people fed up with channels playing with innocent emotions?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
If people took shows personally they would have to cancel SVU. People who do take them seriously, need help.
SholaJoBhadkey thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: raj5000

Whats the limit of emotional torture on soaps? any idea how ethical is it from the stand point on script writers, i understand the trp factor but still.

Learned after a call to folks tonite that one of relative had health issues due to over stress, stress becuase her favourite couple got killed in Zee's Dulhan serial..initially was in splits later realized it not funny.

Had seen few episodes of that (all well till dat in US, in India running few episodes ahead, I guess) and kasam sey out of choice and really felt these guys pushing hard on emotions. First target housewives and make them relate to serials then twist them to play hard, how unfair is it..even though people understand but sometimes gets to emotional side of it.

Wish there were laws against it, to save typical soap followers from distress...should there be any laws?? heard few weeks back that there was a morcha near Ekta's office to quit these sagas...aren't people fed up with channels playing with innocent emotions?

Obviously not, considering they are lapping up these "distressing" serials so  eagerly πŸ˜• There are more pressing issues that require laws - wouldn't want my elected reps to waste their time in debating the merits/demerits of Indian telly's soaps (never mind that they waste their time in any case ). All one needs to do is press that red button on the top right corner of the remote and do something constructive instead (like join DM πŸ˜†).

Edited by SholaJoBhadkey - 16 years ago
lighthouse thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: SholaJoBhadkey

Obviously not, considering they are lapping up these "distressing" serials so  eagerly πŸ˜• There are more pressing issues that require laws - wouldn't want my elected reps to waste their time in debating the merits/demerits of Indian telly's soaps (never mind that they waste their time in any case ). All one needs to do is press that red button on the top right corner of the remote and do something constructive instead (like join DM πŸ˜†).

πŸ˜† wouldn't that be like jumping from the frying pan into the fire..πŸ˜‰ Have seen emotions run higher into the stress zone here too..πŸ˜›

Being connected to them in such in a way that it causes stress is kinda like takeing virtual life seriously imo...   I think these serials kinda de-sensitizes the junta who watch them regularly and take them seriously. Like opium they want more and more each time.  So come on guys, stop watching sports on tv or online and spend some quality time with your women..!!!!πŸ˜‰

rockstallion thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: raj5000

Now how can you take away freedom of thought and expression......moreover its fiction ....any crap can happen any time in a story, you always have a choice to watch or not to, i don't understand why people take it to heights.....

like what I do is. out of the serials i follow,  i don't watch serials which take a left on the nonsense road....and all the time they are there i don't switch to it.....and when the trailors show that there is going to be a right turn, i quickly take it from there..πŸ˜ƒ..so that it is...depends on an individual, what quality serials he wants to see and how well he wants to enjoy, don't people have better things to brood , than on fake character deaths....

ya, but when they change the actor then that is depressing, i think they should have a law for that....😊

SholaJoBhadkey thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: rockstallion

Now how can you take away freedom of thought and expression......moreover its fiction ....any crap can happen any time in a story, you always have a choice to watch or not to, i don't understand why people take it to heights.....

like what I do is. out of the serials i follow,  i don't watch serials which take a left on the nonsense road....and all the time they are there i don't switch to it.....and when the trailors show that there is going to be a right turn, i quickly take it from there..πŸ˜ƒ..so that it is...depends on an individual, what quality serials he wants to see and how well he wants to enjoy, don't people have better things to brood , than on fake character deaths....

ya, but when they change the actor then that is depressing, i think they should have a law for that....😊

There's a new trend these days - cross-contamination of characters and storylines. So even though you might be trying to escape, other soaps will force it on you. I believe all the soaps on Zee mentioned this by showing their characters mourning about the demise of SV. 🀒

raj5000 thumbnail

This content was originally posted by: return_to_hades

If people took shows personally they would have to cancel SVU. People who do take them seriously, need help.

I agree depends on individuals but it's not the question of taking it seriously, some people who dedicate few hours on TV, are pulled into it. With Adv / Promotions etc.. it's somewhat kinna addiction works and they relate to one or many characters... switch around at prime times almost all channels(desi), having similar saga going onn. It's kind a mental block of routine ups and down, only problem I feel arise when channels are promoting it to extremity...

raj5000 thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: SholaJoBhadkey

πŸ˜†πŸ˜† and welcome oneself to quick, adv free, 24/7 stressntertainment πŸ˜‰πŸ˜†πŸ˜† wish everyone on soaps come to IF...cann't imagine increase in men bashing πŸ˜†

raj5000 thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: lighthouse

πŸ˜† wouldn't that be like jumping from the frying pan into the fire..πŸ˜‰ Have seen emotions run higher into the stress zone here too..πŸ˜›

Being connected to them in such in a way that it causes stress is kinda like takeing virtual life seriously imo...   I think these serials kinda de-sensitizes the junta who watch them regularly and take them seriously. Like opium they want more and more each time.  So come on guys, stop watching sports on tv or online and spend some quality time with your women..!!!!πŸ˜‰

bold - feel you are right in saying that...

"So come on guys, stop watching sports on tv or online and spend some quality time with your women..!!!!" and experience how brain surgery feels like without narcotics / anastasia πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

raj5000 thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: rockstallion

No one is taking the right to expression, but limit? .... Mental asylum bana padega if left loose on expression, pagal kar degge trp's ke naam parπŸ˜‰ Saas bhi Bahu Mental Asylum...Dulhan Mental Health recovery centre etc.. πŸ˜†

hear yaa it's fiction...not not understand that way by few...ha ha ha @ brood over SV death... jsut took a sneak peek...in that section... u might be surprised to see the dukh some are goind thru...😳