Page   of 2
Page 2 Page 2

Aahaana

Global Moderator

Aahaana

IF General Sections

Posted: 13 February 2008 at 5:05pm | IP Logged

Myspace Valentines Day Banners

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart."Wink

Every February, across the country, candy, flowers, and gifts are exchanged between loved ones, all in the name of St. ValentineEmbarrassed

But who is this mysterious saint and why do we celebrate this holiday?

The History of Saint Valentine's Day

The history of Valentine's Day -- and its patron saint -- is shrouded in mystery. But we do know that February has long been a month of romance. St. Valentine's Day, as we know it today, contains vestiges of both Christian and ancient Roman tradition.

So, who was Saint Valentine and how did he become associated with this ancient rite? Today, the Catholic Church recognizes at least three different saints named Valentine or Valentinus, all of whom were martyred. One legend contends that Valentine was a priest who served during the third century in Rome. When Emperor Claudius II decided that single men made better soldiers than those with wives and families, he outlawed marriage for young, single men -- his crop of potential soldiers. Valentine, realizing the injustice of the decree, defied Claudius and continued to perform marriages for young lovers in secret. When Valentine's actions were discovered, Claudius ordered that he be put to death. Other stories suggest that Valentine may have been killed for attempting to help Christians escape harsh Roman prisons where they were often beaten and tortured.

Valentines Day Myspace Comments

According to one legend, Valentine actually sent the first 'valentine' greeting himself. While in prison, it is believed that Valentine fell in love with a young girl -- who may have been his jailor's daughter -- who visited him during his confinement. Before his death, it is alleged that he wrote her a letter, which he signed 'From your Valentine,' an expression that is still in use today. Although the truth behind the Valentine legends is murky, the stories certainly emphasize his appeal as a sympathetic, heroic, and, most importantly, romantic figure. It's no surprise that by the Middle Ages, Valentine was one of the most popular saints in England and France.

Love doesnt have to be between a man and woman, it can also mean love between friends, parents and children, pets, siblings, etc...!

So I would like to wish you all a Happy Valentines day, to my new and old friendsEmbarrassed...love you allHugHugHug

Edited by meli - 13 February 2008 at 5:07pm

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Happy Valentines day!!" in Other Topics forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

basanthi

Goldie

Posted: 13 February 2008 at 6:17pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

rojapoooo

rojapoooo

Posted: 13 February 2008 at 8:38pm | IP Logged
Thanks Meli and Happy Valentine's day
to all my IF friends. My first born called
me this morning and said " amma u are my
first Valentine and I love u" - made my
day.. Roja is grinning from ear to ear Big smile Big smile

suram

Goldie

suram

Posted: 13 February 2008 at 9:22pm | IP Logged

Happy valentine's day everyone!! Have FUN!!!!! Party

jenim

Goldie

jenim

Posted: 13 February 2008 at 9:29pm | IP Logged
Thanks Meli (& Basanthi - for the scoop!) Wink Wink

Happy Vetti day .. Ooops Valentine's day everyone!

Edited by jenim - 13 February 2008 at 9:35pm

netra_rama

IF-Rockerz

netra_rama

Posted: 13 February 2008 at 10:08pm | IP Logged

Free Valentines Day Glitter Graphics

Happy valentine's day to all my dear friends

Edited by netra_rama - 13 February 2008 at 10:12pm

jasunap

IF-Sizzlerz

jasunap

Posted: 14 February 2008 at 1:19am | IP Logged
Originally posted by jenim

Thanks Meli (& Basanthi - for the scoop!) Wink Wink

Happy Vetti day .. Ooops Valentine's day everyone!

i endorse that.  happy  day to all of you too...LOLLOLLOL

~*Thamizhan*~

Viewbie

~*Thamizhan*~

Posted: 14 February 2008 at 9:05am | IP Logged
Happy valentine's day!!

Post Reply New Post

Go to top