Fan Fictions

Adult Content in the Fan Fictions on IF (Page 8)

Post Reply New Post

Page 8 of 12

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 01 April 2008 at 12:05am | IP Logged
I usually do not frequent this part of the forum. I happened to browse through and happened to see this discussion topic. As a writer of slash fiction on other forums, and an occasional pastime reader on fanfiction.net I understand and respect the concerns addressed here.

There has to be a balance struck between allowing creative expression of authors as well as making the forum a safe and comfortable zone for younger and sensitive audiences so that no one is offended.

One suggestion I have is the fanfiction ratings system that has been adapted by fanfiction.net. Fiction Ratings Site Similar ratings are used in other fan fiction sites too.

The author of the post is responsible to rate their fiction. Preferably this is done in the subject of the post, so that the ratings are visible to everybody. Make all authors follow a standard subject line format for their threads for ease of reading and sorting by readers.

A story subject line would look like this
Name of Story [Rated:K9+ Ch:19 Pg:184 Updated:03/31/08]

K5+ is stories suitable for all ages. K9+ is geared for people 9 and up. T13+ is for teenagers and older. M16+ may contain material like mild violence, kissing, brief bedroom scene etc that may be inappropriate or offensive for some audiences. M18+ means the content has explicit violence or sex.

Since a site has to be registered with fiction ratings, the admins of this site can register India forums or adopt a rating system like the TV, film or video game system. Like G is for all, PG13 is for teenagers and older. R is for seventeen and older with mild violence/sex while M is explicit content with graphic violence and sex.

Since this forum has young audiences the admins can choose to prohibit M rated fiction. There usually is debate over when content crosses the line of R and becomes M. It usually depends on the reading community, some or tolerant, some are liberal - as a writer understand your readers, the community you post in and use rational judgment. Always use ratings, and err on the side of caution and warn if a chapter may contain some inappropriate material. Moderators ensure ratings are followed and no one publishes stuff that is prohibited and be fair to writers when making decisions. Writers who want to continue writing graphic content or find their content deemed inappropriate need not fret, be open to editing your content. Also there are many blog services and free web hosting services to post your creativity with uncensored unedited content. You can privately contact your frequent readers to inform them where they can obtain uncensored and unedited content.

Happy Reading and Writing!

The following 7 member(s) liked the above post:

SharkylovesJakeThe-chosen-oneshamma92shruja-Simple-Beyond_the_Veil-KaShti-

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Adult Content in the Fan Fictions on IF (Page 8)" in Fan Fictions forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

bhoomikauttam

IF-Dazzler

bhoomikauttam

Posted: 02 April 2008 at 12:12am | IP Logged

Smile

Originally posted by return_to_hades

I usually do not frequent this part of the forum. I happened to browse through and happened to see this discussion topic. As a writer of slash fiction on other forums, and an occasional pastime reader on fanfiction.net I understand and respect the concerns addressed here.

There has to be a balance struck between allowing creative expression of authors as well as making the forum a safe and comfortable zone for younger and sensitive audiences so that no one is offended.

One suggestion I have is the fanfiction ratings system that has been adapted by fanfiction.net. Fiction Ratings Site Similar ratings are used in other fan fiction sites too.

The author of the post is responsible to rate their fiction. Preferably this is done in the subject of the post, so that the ratings are visible to everybody. Make all authors follow a standard subject line format for their threads for ease of reading and sorting by readers.

K5+ is stories suitable for all ages. K9+ is geared for people 9 and up. T13+ is for teenagers and older. M16+ may contain material like mild violence, kissing, brief bedroom scene etc that may be inappropriate or offensive for some audiences. M18+ means the content has explicit violence or sex.

Since a site has to be registered with fiction ratings, the admins of this site can register India forums or adopt a rating system like the TV, film or video game system. Like G is for all, PG13 is for teenagers and older. R is for seventeen and older with mild violence/sex while M is explicit content with graphic violence and sex.

Since this forum has young audiences the admins can choose to prohibit M rated fiction. There usually is debate over when content crosses the line of R and becomes M. It usually depends on the reading community, some or tolerant, some are liberal - as a writer understand your readers, the community you post in and use rational judgment. Always use ratings, and err on the side of caution and warn if a chapter may contain some inappropriate material. Moderators ensure ratings are followed and no one publishes stuff that is prohibited and be fair to writers when making decisions. Writers who want to continue writing graphic content or find their content deemed inappropriate need not fret, be open to editing your content. Also there are many blog services and free web hosting services to post your creativity with uncensored unedited content. You can privately contact your frequent readers to inform them where they can obtain uncensored and unedited content.

Yup quite sensible.... lets see how the fanfic section takes.. u do have anice way to organise this section  .... I try to give the set warning in the subject line as wel.. ur ratign system idea is quite nice.. Smile

rancho

Groupbie

rancho

Posted: 01 August 2008 at 2:26pm | IP Logged
absolutely. And thanks

Girl_2007

IF-Rockerz

Girl_2007

Posted: 26 August 2008 at 9:49am | IP Logged
this is needed

nuts123

Goldie

nuts123

Posted: 13 September 2008 at 6:41am | IP Logged
Originally posted by return_to_hades

I agree with what you've said, and the fan fiction section does need to organise the fics by asking writers to rate it, so that no one is offended when reading such fics. And I like your idea of organising them, so I just hope, that something is done when mods read such opinions and suggestions, like yourself.

yakkudimag

IF-Dazzler

yakkudimag

Posted: 07 October 2008 at 6:52am | IP Logged
Originally posted by RandomSquared

yeah yeah, I think there should be a certain limit. I mean in the end these are fan fictions on a site open to like all ages, n writers shud keep that in mind. And if a 11 or 12 year old is watching the show then they will be the ones reading the ff's. N writers shud be able to write gracefully n include all they want to include still keeping in mind the rules of IF, dats a part of being creative.

But also wriers shud be given a certain amount of creative liberty, i mean they shud be allowed to write up to a certain point like u know neck kissing, hugging, adrenaline n then jus wrap it up. i mean u cant end at "they went in the room". so i think the writers n all just need to find a creative balance between it all. i mean, i've written a few ff's so far n they have all had bedrrom scenes i believe but i dont think many went all the way the them taking off their clothes... they get in the room they kissed, hugged they were on the bed n then the moon watch the make love n thats it LOL. now if that isnt allowed either then it gets hard to actually describe a scene.

Well said..but we have to balance..after all IF is for all age group people..

Edited by yakkudimag - 07 October 2008 at 2:42pm

Mahak Sinha

IF-Sizzlerz

Mahak Sinha

Posted: 08 October 2008 at 1:24am | IP Logged
Originally posted by yakkudimag

Originally posted by RandomSquared

yeah yeah, I think there should be a certain limit. I mean in the end these are fan fictions on a site open to like all ages, n writers shud keep that in mind. And if a 11 or 12 year old is watching the show then they will be the ones reading the ff's. N writers shud be able to write gracefully n include all they want to include still keeping in mind the rules of IF, dats a part of being creative.

But also wriers shud be given a certain amount of creative liberty, i mean they shud be allowed to write up to a certain point like u know neck kissing, hugging, adrenaline n then jus wrap it up. i mean u cant end at "they went in the room". so i think the writers n all just need to find a creative balance between it all. i mean, i've written a few ff's so far n they have all had bedrrom scenes i believe but i dont think many went all the way the them taking off their clothes... they get in the room they kissed, hugged they were on the bed n then the moon watch the make love n thats it LOL. now if that isnt allowed either then it gets hard to actually describe a scene.

Well said..but we have to balance..after all IF is for all age group people..

Nice comment dear.

jeenal20

IF-Stunnerz

jeenal20

Posted: 05 February 2009 at 11:01pm | IP Logged
thanx dear

Post Reply New Post

Go to top