Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Morning_Dew thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago

Originally posted by: qwertyesque

Yes your friend is veri right.. Why would one wash their dirty linen in the public. If somebody wants to find out they are free to do so.. After all a wife doesnt introduce her husband as "Meet xyz, my husband, he snores a lot and belches like a pig, also farts a lot after meals...." πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

tum aur tumhare examples..πŸ˜† yes wives don't do that , may be because it is a universal truth every one knows itπŸ˜†........ok ok , don't kill me for this πŸ˜†

I would rather make a 2 hour film of girls running in bikinis on juhu beach in mumbai or kalangut beach in goa... etc..may be it will go to the Cannes.. too... and who is going to watch it πŸ˜†πŸ˜† 

qwertyesque thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
raj5000 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: Morning_Dew

Some days back I had a discussion on Deepa Mehta's Water with one of my friend. I like Deepa Mehta's work as a good piece of art based on social elements which infact existed in past. However my friend is not a big fan of her , according to her, movies should  show only  good picture of society , because  these days  movies are being watched all over the world and any negative representation cause a damage to the reputation of a country.

What are your thoughts? 😊

Based on topic name, No till some extend? How can movies like American desi or hyberabad blues represent a countey  ... Is Africa mafia country? Is India country where economy lies in orchid dances? Is America full of leaders ? πŸ˜‰ Movies represents similar thought process of few but NOT to generalized... yeah but movies sure depict cultural aspects not a country as in whole. Rest is upto self to figureπŸ˜‰ dilwale duniya ki kudiya le jayegeπŸ˜†

-Believe- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

Movie making is a art form, diff language diff countries they just want express their views n ideas....a director hav his own view to tell the stories...I think they can show different culture and way of life.......Gandhi film we all enjoyed....a englishman directed the movie....credit goes india or englend...😳I think an art dont have any boders....if its good all will accept.😳

King kong about Kingkong movie!!πŸ˜›πŸ˜‰

Edited by Believe - 16 years ago
rockstallion thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Hum aapke hain kaun was a representation of shadi that i know, πŸ˜›

as for your friends opinion of showing only good picture of society,

reminds me of that 'body' in munabhai mbbs, πŸ˜‰

"show me real india","poor india" "hungry people" πŸ˜†

ab yeh batayein sabko....

*Jane* thumbnail

Some days back I had a discussion on Deepa Mehta's Water with one of my friend. I like Deepa Mehta's work as a good piece of art based on social elements which infact existed in past. However my friend is not a big fan of her , according to her, movies should  show only  good picture of society , because  these days  movies are being watched all over the world and any negative representation cause a damage to the reputation of a country.

I didn't know Harry Potter and the Wizarding world actually existed. *sarcasm*
Movies are unrealistic. Even the most realistic is unrealistic. They're fictional and it's a story. Media does tend to influence how others perceive them and those of similar traits but if everyone was afraid because people would take it the wrong way then there's not point to movies, IMO. I watch movies for entertainment. Watching the same goody goody nice people without any conflicts in some sort of utopia type society ain't entertainment. It's boring, IMO.

Movies are first and foremost for entertainment. Most documentaries portray current issues of a country but rarely a movie does even when a movie has social message it mostly is over-dramatic and has more fiction than reality. Such movies are in a way manipulative too…..manipulating our emotions.

A movie like water is clearly set in olden era when it was a bad time for widows. If Deepa Mehta claims that it still happens in India by citing one or two examples from newspapers then it is manipulation. Many of this set of directors claim to make movies based on reality but aiming film festivals and honors add a lot of illusory depiction too.

But we do showcase at least some part of our culture in movies. Most films these days are "inspired" by Hollywood films but then it is Indianised by adding elements from our society. Also as society is changing so is the liberty is movies. In Salaam Namaste, they portrayed a live-in relation and it still was accepted. If it was 10 years ago then probably it would have received flak. Society and movies are mirror images in a subtle way.😊

BTW we had an interesting discussion on Water couple of months ago. Here is the link https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/551871

Morgoth thumbnail

Originally posted by: rockstallion

your friends opinion of showing only good picture of society,

reminds me of that 'body' in munabhai mbbs, πŸ˜‰

"show me real india","poor india" "hungry people" πŸ˜†

Me too πŸ˜†

Morgoth thumbnail

Writers/movie makers are not going to paint rosy pictures of a country unless they are employed (and are being paid well) by that country's tourism board.

As for movie goers - they have the choice to go and watch either 27 Dresses or Sicko; there's room for both in the industry.